Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

Six LBSU soccer players named to All Big-West Teams

The Big West released its all-conference women’s soccer team on Tuesday, naming Mimi Rangel, Val Margerum, Ashley Gonzales, Melanie Fox, Ashton McKeown and Rocio Rodriguez as part of the team.

This year counts as Rangel’s third consecutive selection to the first team. Rangel is the fifth player at LBSU to be selected three times in a row for the first-team.

First-team selections included senior defender Margerum, junior midfielder Rangel and sophomore striker Gonzales. Second-team recognitions went to senior defender Fox and junior goalkeeper McKeown. Lastly, midfielder Rodriguez earned a selection to the Big West All-Freshman Team.

Margerum has started all but one game as defender, playing 1,692 minutes so far. She received her first career All-Big West award after leading LBSU to a league best 11 shutouts and a 0.65 goals against average.

Her partner in the backline, Fox, earned a second-team selection. Despite playing primarily as a defender all season, Fox netted four goals to rank second on the team.

Gonzales, the defending Big West Freshman of the Year, also earned herself a spot on the first team. She leads the 49ers with eight goals and 16 points.

McKeown earned a spot on the second team despite missing out on three league contests due to a shoulder injury. However, she was still able to finish the regular season with a Big West-leading .847 save percentage and 0.59 goals against average.

Rodriguez was LBSU’s seventh Big West All-Freshman Team honoree in the last four seasons. Rodriguez played in every game with nine starts and added a goal and an assist.

The 49ers start the Big West Tournament at Titan Stadium on Thursday, taking on UC Riverside at 5 p.m.