Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Weekend preview

Women’s soccer

Who: No. 12 Santa Clara (13-5-2, 6-1-2 WCC)

What: NCAA Tournament – Round one

When: Saturday at 1 p.m.

Where: Buck Shaw Stadium, Santa Clara

Freshman striker Fatmata Kamara (19) takes on a UC Riverside defender in LBSU’s overtime win in the Big West Tournament semifinal last Thursday.
Michael Ares | Daily 49er

Need to know: The 49ers have faced the Broncos twice in the NCAA Tournament and lost both matchups in the first round in 2010 and 2012. Santa Clara also owns a 7-1-0 all-time record against LBSU.

If LBSU wants to advance to the second round, they’ll have to keep junior midfielder Julie Vass in check. Vass leads all Broncos with eight goals, five of them game winners, and one assist for a total of 17 points in the season. Right behind her are freshman forward Grace Cutler, five goals and one assist, and senior midfielder Dani Weatherholt , three goals and two assists.

Men’s basketball

Who: BYU-Hawaii

Forward Temidayo Yussuf dribbles past a Kansas State defender in LBSU’s upset win over the Wildcats on Nov. 21, 2014 at the Walter Pyramid.
Michael Ares | Daily 49er

When: Saturday at 4 p.m.

Where: Walter Pyramid

Need to know: LBSU is undefeated in its last four home openers. The 49ers also lead the all-time series against the Seasiders 3-0. Both teams last met on Dec. 15, 2012, LBSU picked up an 82-65 win at the Walter Pyramid.

Senior guard Scott Friel is the only returning starter for the Seasiders. The reigning PacWest Conference Player of the Year averaged 11.5 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last season. He led BYU-Hawaii to the NCAA Regionals where the Seasiders lost 81-69 to Seattle Pacific.

Women’s volleyball

Who: Cal State Northridge (5-19, 4-8 Big West)

Redshirt freshman setter Missy Owens serves in LBSU’s loss to Hawaii, 3-1, at the Walter Pyramid last Friday.
Bobby Yagake | Daily 49er

When: Friday at 7 p.m.

Where: The Matadome, Northridge

Need to know: The Matadors have gone 1-8 in their last nine matches after starting the conference season with three consecutive wins. Junior setter Maddie Leiphardt leads the team in assists with 403 in her first season with the Matadors while sophomore libero Katie Sato leads the team with 268 digs.

Men’s water polo

Who: Loyola Marymount (11-11, 4-2 WWPA)

When: Thursday at 3 p.m.

Where: Burns Aquatics Center, Los Angeles

Sophomore attacker Lovro Miocevic (6) gets ready to throw in LBSU’s loss to UCLA on Sunday at the Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center.
Ben Hammerton | Daily 49er

Need to know: The No. 14 Lions look to avenge an eight-game losing streak against the 49ers before they enter the WWPA Championships. In the last meeting, the 49ers took down the Lions 11-8 at the Triton Invitational on Sept. 6. Redshirt junior goalie Kirk Wilenius has totaled 76 saves in the past nine matches for the Lions.

Who: Pacific University (21-3, 7-1 MPSF)

When: Saturday, Nov. 14 @ Noon

Where: Stockton

Need to know: LBSU lost to the Tigers in the first ever meeting between the two teams at the Triton Invitational on Sept. 6. Junior Ben Stevenson is at the front of the offensive efforts for Pacific totaling 52 goals on the season with 11 other players for the Lions scoring in double-digits.

Who: San Jose State (3-22, 0-8 MPSF)

When: Sunday at noon

Where: The Aquatics Center, San Jose

Need to know: The Spartans are hoping to break a seven-game losing streak in the final two matches of their regular season. The 49ers have won seven out of eight meetings with the Spartans, with the match-up in 1980. Sophomore goalie Matej Matijevic guards the cage for the Spartans totaling 227 saves for a 12.40 GAA.