Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

LBSU misses out on NCAA Tournament

The NCAA announced the 64 teams that will participate in the national tournament on Sunday and the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team didn’t find itself among the contestants.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said after LBSU’s win against Fullerton on Nov. 20 that it would take wins against UC Riverside, University of Pacific and Denver to have even a chance at the tournament, but the prospect wasn’t good.

“[University of Pacific] is a high RPI (Rating Percentage Index) team,” Gimmillaro said. “[We play them] just before the NCAA committee meets. We need some wins against some better teams. That’s all.”

LBSU made the tournament 25 straight times from 1987-2011, but since then the 49ers have only made it to the big dance once; last season a 16-0 conference record helped them claim the Big West title, also for the first time since 2011.

LBSU has made it to the NCAA Regionals 13 times. They’ve made it out of regionals and into the final four eight times and won the national championship three times in 1989, 1993 and 1998.

The 49ers compiled a 25-6 overall record highlighted by some notable wins against Harvard, San Diego and Loyola Marymount, all three are tournament teams this year. LBSU also defeated Alabama and Duke, both of which were tournament teams in 2014.

LBSU will retain the majority of its team. The most glaring loss will be the absence of 2014 Big West Player of the Year Jenelle Hudson.

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team ended the season by dominating its last five opponents, not allowing them to win a single set. However, it wasn’t enough as the 49ers will not feature in the 2015 NCAA Tournament. LBSU will have to wait until next year for another shot at a fourth national title.