Baseball, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports

Former LBSU stars find greener pastures

Former Dirtbags pitcher Cesar Ramos found himself on a new team this MLB offseason after the Texas Rangers picked him off waivers on Jan. 5. The Rangers signed Ramos to a minor-league deal and will be present at spring training. Ramos spent the previous season with the Los Angeles Angels.

A pair of minor league players who played college ball at LBSU also made moves in January. The Tampa Bay Rays signed free agent left-hander Adam Wilk to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training on Jan. 19. Also, the Baltimore Orioles claimed first baseman Joey Terdoslavich off waivers from the Atlanta Braves on Jan. 21.

Don’t sell the house

Three former LBSU Dirtbags, Washington National Danny Espinosa, Cleveland Indian Bryan Shaw and Pittsburgh Pirate Jared Hughes, avoided arbitration by signing for one more year with their respective teams.

Espinosa’s deal, signed on Jan. 15, is worth a reported $2.87 million and is the biggest of the three. Shaw and Hughes signed for a reported $2.75 and $2.17 million on Jan. 14 and Jan. 15, respectively.

Hibernating grizzly

Since being traded from the Miami Heat to the Memphis Grizzlies in November, former Long Beach State basketball star James Ennis’ playing time has been scarce.

The small forward played in only three games all December for a total of 23 minutes. He went two for five in those three appearances and totaled 11 points. In 2016, Ennis’ only participation came in the 107-91 loss to the Houston Rockets on Jan. 12. He logged two minutes in garbage time and made a layup in the final seconds of the game.