LBSU Dirtbags projected to finish third in Big West preseason poll

The 2016 Big West Baseball preseason coaches’ poll picked the Long Beach State Dirtbags to finish third.

The position would place the team three spots higher than last year, when the Dirtbags finished sixth with a 28-26 record and an 11-13 record in the conference.

A big part of that predicted jump in standings is due to the return of Louisville Slugger Preseason All-Americans Garrett Hampson and Chris Mathewson.

Mathewson, who finished fourth in the Big West in earned run average last year, said he believes that the poll is wrong and the team has a chance to finish first in conference after the team scrimmage last Thursday.

“I think that this team is great,” Mathewson said. “Just playing today I know we’re going to destroy some teams.”

Mathewson said there’s only one thing the team is capable of becoming.

“Big West champions,” Mathewson said.

The high ranking also shows that the conference coaches believe the Dirtbags are an improved team from last year. However, head coach Troy Buckley is skeptical.

“It’s early on,” Buckley said. “The polls are based on last year’s results, but also what the coaches know about the teams. It is also based on what coaches know about their own team.”

The team finished just six points behind defending Big West champions Cal State Fullerton and three behind University of Irvine. When it came down to first-place votes, the Dirtbags finished with three; only one behind CSUF.

Catcher Eric Hutting said the 49ers will look to show how much they have improved since last season. Being a senior, Hutting has been around to see the progress over the years.

“This team is [a] good team,” Hutting said. “We’re getting better every day and working hard.”

Along with the preseason poll, Buckley said the team won’t have an idea of what they really have until later in the season.

“We’re six weeks away from when we start conference play,” Buckley said. “There’s going to be a lot that we learn about our team in that time so we will see.”

Along with the return of Hampson and Mathewson, the team also has several returners that are expected to make an impact right away. Sophomore Luke Rasmussen is one of those players after finishing fourth in the Big West in batting average last year.

Buckley said he is impressed with his team so far and knows they have a shot if the team can play to its potential.

“The Dirtbags are better than last year,” Buckley said. “The Dirtbags have better leadership this year.”

LBSU’s season starts with a home series against Holy Cross on Feb. 19.