Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

Weekend previews

Men’s Basketball

Who: Cal Poly (8-14, 2-7)

When: Thursday at 7 p.m.

Where: Walter Pyramid

TV: ESPN3

The LBSU men’s basketball team huddles during the 49ers’ 81-76 overtime win over Cal State Northridge on Saturday inside the Walter Pyramid.
Ben Hammerton | Daily 49er

Need to know: When Long Beach State (12-12, 6-3) and Cal Poly meet on Thursday, the 49ers will be looking to avenge a four-point overtime loss from earlier in the season. The Mustangs sent their Jan. 16 matchup with LBSU to overtime with a late three pointer that forced the 96-92 win.

The 49ers lead the all-time series 42-31, but have now dropped two straight games against the Mustangs.

The Mustangs sit in last place of the Big West Conference. Cal Poly is last in the league in points allowed, giving up an average of 76 points per game. The Mustangs also attempt the most field goals per game in the league (61.0), but have the lowest field goal percentage (43.3).

Who: UC Davis (10-12, 5-4)

When: Saturday at 5:30 p.m.

Where: The Pavilion, Davis

Need to know: LBSU and UC Davis first met on Feb. 2, 1960; the 49ers came away with a 77-52 win. However, both teams didn’t officially play each other again for nearly 45 years.

LBSU leads the all-time series 18-4, but two of those Aggie wins came last season. After winning 11 straight games from 2010-14, the 49ers failed to get a win against UC Davis in 2015. LBSU snapped UC Davis’ short streak earlier this season after a 59-47 win on Jan. 9.

This season, the Aggies are the last in the Big West averaging only 64.5 points per game. However, UC Davis also owns the second best defense in the conference, allowing only 65.1 points per game.

Senior forward Josh Fox leads the Aggies with 14.3 points per game and is second with 6.8 rebounds per game.

Men’s Volleyball

Who: USC (2-9, 2-7)

When: Friday at 7 p.m.

Where: Galen Center, Los Angeles

Need to know: LBSU leads the all-time series against the Trojans, 57-46, and has lost 12 of its last 15 matches against Southern California. However, the 49ers won the last meeting between the two earlier this season. LBSU snapped a four-game losing streak against USC in a 3-1 win on Jan. 16.

USC’s only wins this season came against Pepperdine on Jan. 26 and against UC San Diego on Saturday. The Trojans are in second to last place, only winless UC San Diego sits below them.

Sophomore opposite Jon Rivera and junior outside hitter Lucas Yoder are the only two players on the team averaging over two kills per set. Rivera is averaging 3.18 kills while Yoder is averaging 2.52 kills per set.

Softball

Who: South Dakota

When: Friday at 11:15 a.m.

Where: Eller Media Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada

Need to know: Friday’s matchup with the Coyotes will be Long Beach State’s first ever meeting with the University of South Dakota.

The 2016 Summit League preseason coaches’ poll selected the Coyotes to finish third in their league. South Dakota returns a pair of all-conference pitchers from last season, junior Rachel Cue and senior Madison Frain.

Who: Syracuse

When: Friday at 1:30 p.m.

Need to know: The 49ers and the Orange have faced each other every year since 2012. LBSU leads the all-time series 6-2 with Syracuse’s last win coming in a 2-1 victory on May 19, 2012.

Senior infielder Corinne Ozanne and sophomore outfielder Maddi Doane will lead Syracuse this season. Both players were named to the College Sports Madness ACC Preseason All-Conference Second Team.

Who: Texas Tech

When: Saturday at 9 a.m.

Need to know: The 49ers and the Red Raiders have played four times since 1999. LBSU leads the series 3-1 with Texas Tech’s lone 2-0 win coming on Feb. 17, 2012.

Outfielder Jordan Bettiol returns for her senior season after leading the Red Raiders with a .374 batting average and 43 runs scored in 2015. Junior Kierra Miles also returns after leading the team with 43 runs batted in.

Who: No. 14 Minnesota

When: Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Need to know: LBSU leads the all-time series against the Gophers, 8-2. Minnesota’s only two wins against the 49ers came in 1987 and 1993. The last time both teams met, the 49ers came away with a 3-1 win on March 3, 2001.

A player to watch on the Gophers is junior pitcher Sara Groenewegen. The right-hander was named on the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top 50 Watch List.

Who: No. 9 Oklahoma

When: Sunday at 9 a.m.

Need to know: The 49ers have only won against the Sooners once in ten matchups. Oklahoma leads the all-time series 9-1, but the last time both teams met LBSU got the 2-1 win on Feb. 25, 2011.

The Sooners have two players named to the top 50 collegiate player of the year watch list. Senior outfielder Erin Miller and sophomore pitcher Paige Parker are players to watch in 2016.