Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU ends road trip with sweep over USC

The No. 1 Long Beach State men’s volleyball team maintained its top spot in the nation as it cruised past USC 3-0 Friday night inside the Galen Center Pavilion.

The 49ers (11-2, 8-2) extended their win streak to five matches with the win over the Trojans (2-10, 2-8). LBSU also moved into first place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation after No. 2 UCLA suffered its second loss of the season against UC Irvine on Feb. 11.

LBSU held the Trojans to a .093 hitting percentage with just 28 kills. That’s coming against the 49ers, who lead the nation with 13.57 kills per set.  

Freshmen outside hitters T.J. De Falco and Kyle Ensing led the 49ers with 15 and nine kills, respectively. De Falco ended the night with a .345 hitting percentage and committed only five errors. LBSU’s junior middle blocker Bryce Yould finished the night with six kills on nine swings for a .556 hitting percentage.

The 49ers’ Freshman setter Josh Tuaniga continued to move the ball well, earning 29 assists and leading the offense to a .356 hitting percentage. Tuaniga’s 11.12 assists per set have LBSU leading the nation with 12.94 assists per set.

Senior middle blocker Tommy Leonard and junior outside hitter Lucas Yoder led the Trojans with just seven kills each.

LBSU returns home to the Walter Pyramid on Wednesday night as they take on UC San Diego at 7 p.m.