Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

LBSU women’s water polo split results at Triton Invitational

The Long Beach State women’s water polo team ended up in 11th place at the Triton Invitational on Saturday and Sunday, finishing with wins against Cal State Northridge and Marist College.

The weekend’s first game was a tight match-up in which UC Irvine defeated LBSU 9-7. The 49ers could not stop UCI’s Mary Brooks, who finished with a game-high six goals.

LBSU (3-6) moved on to play CSUN. The 49ers maintained a lead over the Matadors through the entire game, though it remained close. LBSU finished the day with a win, defeating the Matadors 8-7.

The 49ers’ Alexandra Massier, Annabel Harman and Tori Morrissey were the leading scorers Saturday, getting three goals each over both games.

LBSU started off Sunday with another close match-up, this time against San Diego State. The 49ers were on the short end of a one-point game this time, losing to SDSU 8-7. LBSU went on to face Marist College in the weekend finale for 11th place in the tournament.

The match was pretty steady to start. LBSU had a one-point lead to begin the second half with a score of 7-6. The 49ers then turned on the heat, outscoring Marist by six goals in the half for a final score of 16-9.

Harman led the way for the 49ers, finding the net five times against Marist. LBSU’s Emily Matheson and Virginia Smith added hat tricks to ensure the win over the Red Foxes.

The 49ers will head to Redlands on Saturday to face Azusa Pacific University at 10 a.m. and University of Redlands at noon.