Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU goes 4 for 4 at Stanford Tournament

The Long Beach State softball team went 4-0 with wins over Stanford, North Dakota State and St. Mary’s in Palo Alto on Saturday and Sunday.

The 49ers (6-3) swept through the first day at the Stanford Tournament by beating the hosts 3-1 first. Senior infielder Darian Tautalafua, and LBSU’s all-time leader in home runs, hit her first of the season in the sixth inning gave the 49ers a 2-0 lead. Senior outfielder Haley Tobler hit an RBI single in the seventh to give LBSU a 3-0 cushion.

LBSU then picked up two wins against North Dakota State on both Saturday and Sunday.

The first win came in extra innings after sophomore Lauren MacLeod hit an RBI single to score Tautalafua from second base in the bottom of the seventh. Then with runners at the corners, sophomore infielder L.T. Torres hit a walk-off double for the 2-1 win.

On Sunday, the 49ers eased past both its opponents.

In a rematch with the Bison, Tautalafua and freshman Tierra Falo each hit three-run home runs in a 8-1 win. LBSU freshman pitcher Cielo Meza threw a complete game and struck out 11 batters.

The 49ers wrapped up their weekend with a 9-1 win against St. Mary’s. Sophomore infielder Julia Lombardi led the way with two doubles and her first home run of the season.

LBSU travels to Palm Springs next on Friday for the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.