USC long ball dooms LBSU Dirtbags

Giving up five home runs proved to be the downfall for the Long Beach State baseball team on Tuesday, losing 8-3 to Southern California at Dedeaux Field.

The Dirtbags (21-14, 5-4) got out to an early 1-0 lead in the second inning after junior outfielder Alex Muzzi hit an RBI single to score sophomore designated hitter Luke Rasmussen.

Starting for the first time this season, senior Ty Provencher pitched two scoreless innings before giving up back-to-back home runs to junior Corey Dempster and senior David Oppenheim. The solo shots gave the Trojans a 2-1 lead.

Provencher lasted two and a third innings before freshman Jacob Hughey took over from the bullpen. Hughey was the second of six pitchers the Dirtbags sent to the mound.

Advertisement – Story continues below

twitters500-x500_

USC (16-19, 5-7) extended the lead to 3-1 following another solo home run from infielder Adalberto Carrillo in the fourth inning.

The Dirtbags tied the game in the fifth after sophomore catcher David Banuelos walked and sophomore Garrett Nelson hit a double. Junior shortstop Garrett Hampson went on to hit a RBI single that scored Banuelos and Nelson scored also after a wild pitch to tie the game at 3.

However, the Trojan blew the gates open after LBSU senior Ryan Cruz came in for some relief work. Cruz allowed a pair of two-run home runs, one coming from Carrillo who hit two home runs in back-to-back at bats.

Junior catcher Jeremy Martinez caused fits for the Dirtbags’ as he hit two home runs off LBSU pitchers. Martinez went 4 for 4 on the evening and had three RBIs. Carrillo also had three RBIs against the Dirtbags.

USC has now swept LBSU this season after winning their first match up at Blair Field on March 1.

The Dirtbags will now look to stop their two-game skid when they travel to UC Riverside to continue Big West play on Friday at 6 p.m.