Sports, Women's Volleyball

Long Beach State star Misty May-Treanor takes over as coach at Long Beach College

One of Long Beach State’s brightest volleyball stars will be making a run at coaching.

Misty May-Treanor took over as the new director of volleyball operations at Long Beach City College July 5. Along with her duties, May-Treanor will be the head coach for the women’s volleyball team and newly created beach volleyball team.

The Olympian will also oversee the men’s volleyball team, which won the state title in its last season.

The hope is that May-Treanor will immediately become a recruiting force for the women’s volleyball team that won only seven games last season.

“She is an icon in her sport and longtime Long Beach resident with deep roots in our community,” LBCC President Eloy Ortiz Oakley said in an official statement. “She will serve as an inspiration to our students and a strong leader in our athletics department.”

May-Treanor is no stranger to competition, winning three Olympic gold medals for the USA in beach volleyball in 2004, 2008 and 2012.

The accolades don’t end there for May-Treanor. She is an indoor volleyball champion, with  one bronze medal from the Pan American Games in 1999 and one NCAA Division 1 Championship from LBSU in 1998.

Professionally, May-Treanor is a four-time AVP most valuable player and an 11-time AVP best offensive player.

With her academic record, it’s no surprise that May-Treanor made the move to coaching. She has a master’s degree in Coaching and Athletic Administration from Concordia University.
“I’m excited to join the LBCC,” May-Treanor said in the statement. “My family lives in Long Beach and I want to help to help the next generation of players in my community. I’m very excited to help the players at LBCC and advance the volleyball program.”