Long Beach State’s Student Recreation and Wellness Center provides students with many benefits

Ten-hut!

Listen up, all you blurry-eyed newcomers.

I’m here to make life easier as you enter your first year at The Beach.

If you follow these two instructions, you may avoid that freshman 15 and gain some useful knowledge about one of the best things on campus: the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SWRC), which is located on the northeast side of campus bordering Palo Verde Ave.

Step One: Don’t call it the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. It’s The Rec. Don’t forget that.

Step Two: Get your butt over to the Rec and have your handprint scanned so you can use the facilities immediately. The handprint is needed because the facilities use fingerprint recognition to verify identities, instead of using a campus ID card.

After following those two steps, you will be able to use the facilities at during open hours – and yes, it’s somewhere to go when you have a break between classes or need to blow off some steam after a stressful day.

From the workout facility to indoor basketball courts, this will be a privilege you’ll want to take advantage of.

For those who enjoy the occasional adrenaline rush accompanied by treacherously tall heights,  there’s a rock climbing wall.

And if you’re into running but don’t like the Long Beach sun, there’s an indoor track.

Now, if running or scaling walls isn’t for you and you like to be actively playing sports, fuel that competitive spirit by joining one of numerous intramural sports teams that play throughout the week for just a few bucks.

If you like to play soccer, they have that. If you enjoy basketball, they have that, too. If you like softball – well, you get the point. These intramural teams offer a wide variety of options and provide you competition against your peers.

And if you’re afraid to join because you don’t know anyone? Don’t worry about it. The Rec has a solution for you with free agent teams, where you team up with other floaters.

Before we get into the workout portion of the Rec, it’s also a spot for students to go and finish up work. There are tables where you can study and Wi-Fi for all your data needs. Don’t worry about your computer dying, there are outlets so you can charge up.

Along with the study spot, the Rec has a Robek’s if you feel you need a little boost to get you through the day.

And for those of you commuting, you’ll have one more reason to get involved on campus.

The Rec has different hours each semester. The summer hours are: Monday – Friday 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Saturday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. Those hours will change Aug. 22, so be sure to check www.asirecreation.org for those updates.

There you have it: the kickstarter for your fitness needs at the Beach.

Now, drop and give me five.