Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

Long Beach State women’s soccer team ready to defend Big West regular season title

As the defending regular season Big West Champions, the Long Beach State women’s soccer team knows teams will be looking to knock them from the top.

But with key returners in senior goalkeeper Ashton McKeown, junior forward Ashley Gonzales and senior defender Mimi Rangel, the 49ers are primed to repeat as Big West champions. That sentiment was solidified as the team was selected to repeat as BWC champs in the Preseason Coaches Poll.

Along with repeating, the team is prepared to go further after losing in the first round of the playoffs to Santa Clara last year.

The 49ers plan to succeed with the addition of players at almost every position; they also have returning players who will make an impact.

“We are one year older, more mature and [we have] have more depth at every position,” head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said.

Players to watch this season

Freshman forward/defender Kaitlin Fregulia is one of the newcomers expected to make an impact on offense and defense as an immediate starter for the team. Fregulia was a leader for West Torrance High School soccer team as it won four straight Pioneer League titles.

Gonzales, member of the 2015 All-Big West team, will be crucial for the team’s offense while also providing leadership to the incoming freshmen.

Her counterpart Rangel, senior midfielder and first-team All-Big West and second-team NSCAA All-West Region returner, is expected to help set things up for Gonzales and other forwards on the field.

Another key component, according to Ingrassia, will be senior defender Mimi Akaogi who made 19 starts last season while appearing in 22 games. Akaogi is one of the team’s one-on-one defenders.

Fortifying a senior-heavy defense will goalkeeper McKeown who earned second team All-Big West honors last season. After a shoulder injury last season, Ingrassia looks for her to be a vocal leader for the defense.