Long Beach State Dirtbag Daniel Jackson is Jack of all trades

Before Long Beach State’s senior first baseman Daniel Jackson became the Dirtbags’ best hitter, his career was in jeopardy of ending before it even got started.

As a sophomore in 2015, Jackson injured his right shoulder to the point where surgery was the only option he had if he wanted to throw a baseball again.

“I ended up with three tears in my labrum, so when I got those sewed up in surgery, my shoulder was just always tight,” Jackson said.

The road to recovery was a long and painful one for the Dirtbags’ slugger. Jackson went through a six-month period where he did not hit or throw — something he did every day prior to the injury.

All he could do was go to physical therapy three times a week and work on improving his range of motion.

“I cried every time I went to ‘PT,’” Jackson said. “I was pushing so hard to get back, but my shoulder hurt all the time.”

Jackson began to get very discouraged when he didn’t see himself progressing at the rate he wanted. He put all he had into his recovery, but the 2016 season looked more and more out of reach.

“One day, a Navy SEAL came down to the field to talk to the team,” Jackson said. “He talked about making little improvements every day. That really helped me grow.

The inspirational visit was a turning point for Jackson and he began to see himself recover little by little. After he had to watch the first 18 games from the bench, Jackson’s comeback was complete.

In a remarkable run, Jackson went on to be the Dirtbags’ leading offensive force batting .321 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs. He attributes his success in 2016 to the journey he had to take while recovering from surgery — fighting just to see the field again.

“I don’t think I’d be the player I am right now or that I have been without that recovery process before my junior year,” Jackson said.

Dirtbags’ hitting coach Greg Bergeron has been Jackson’s swing coach for the last two years and had a front row seat to the rehab he endured.

“He’s been through a lot of adversity and still became the player he is,” Bergeron said. “It’s been awesome to coach him. I love that kid –  on and off the field he is about the right stuff.”

Jackson also had some good things to say about his coaches and how they have helped him over the last four years.

“I’ve had a great time here,” Jackson said. “I’ve grown into a man and I’ve gained some solid core principles in my time here and it’s all thanks to the coaches, who have been awesome.

Jackson led the Dirtbags to their second NCAA regional appearance in three years with the program in 2016. LBSU played Florida Atlantic in the semifinal of the tournament and it was a towering three-run home run hit by Jackson that sealed the victory.

“The Miami regional was definitely the best experience I’ve had here,” Jackson said. “I was tight with a lot of the guys last year and it was good to play the last couple of games with Garrett [Hampson] who was my roommate for the past three years.”

Now entering his final season at LBSU, he looks to lead his team to another NCAA appearance.

“We want to win the Big West. That’s all I’m focusing on,” Jackson said. “I’ll do whatever I can do to help the team win the Big West, host a regional and get to Omaha. I think we have a chance. We’re good. We just need to stay on the grind and stay focused.”

Being the high-caliber player he is, Jackson will certainly have a shot to play at the next level when he graduates from LBSU this May.

“He has [the] work ethic,” Bergeron said. “He has some tools like his power and for a big guy he can run a little bit, which I think surprises people.”

Jackson will leave behind a big hole that the Dirtbags have to fill next year, both offensively and as the heart and sole of the ballclub.

“I just want to be known as a Dirtbag,” Jackson said. “That’s all I’ve ever wanted. To me that means being known as a good teammate, a good leader, and someone who everyone respects. I’m a Dirtbag.”