Another case of Tuesday night fright for Long Beach State baseball team

In a second consecutive Tuesday night game, Long Beach State lost to San Diego State 6-2. After falling to USC last Tuesday, the Dirtbags faced another tough team and looked overmatched in front of the home crowd at Blair Field this week.

LBSU (4-4) was held to just seven hits while the Dirtbags’ pitchers gave up 12 to an experienced Aztec lineup.

“We didn’t play very good baseball tonight,” head coach Troy Buckley said. “Not a lot of quality at bats, mistakes defensively… we played poorly enough to lose.”

Sophomore second baseman Jarren Duran was two for four with a run scored and junior catcher David Banuelos had two hits in four at bats against the Aztecs.

“I’m just trying to do my job,” Banuelos said. “I’m just stringing along at bats and trying to keep it going.”

SDSU took an early lead against freshman pitcher John Castro when the Aztecs (5-4) scored on a RBI triple from sophomore first baseman Jordan Verdon. The Aztecs made it 2-0 after senior designated hitter Andrew Martinez hit a line drive to the right fielder junior Brock Lundquist, who lost it in the lights.

In the top of the fifth, Aztec senior third baseman Andrew Brown turned on one of those fastballs and launched a solo home run off of the left field foul pole. The blow extended the Aztec’s lead to 3-0.

Castro would take his first loss of the season after a final line of: 5.0 IP, 6H, 3R, 2ER, 3K.

“They just hit the mistakes pretty well tonight,” Banuelos said. “You have to give them credit where it’s due.”

LBSU’s first run of the game came in the bottom of the fifth against sophomore Aztecs pitcher Harrison Pyatt when Banuelos lead off with a line drive single up the middle. Banuelos stole second and with two outs, sophomore second baseman Jarren Duran reached base on an infield single.

Banuelos scored after Duran stole second base and the throw got into center field on a throwing error by sophomore catcher Dean Nevarez, making the score 3-1.

LBSU brought in sophomore closer Chris Rivera in the top of the seventh, who went on to give up four hits and two runs against the Aztecs.

The Dirtbags threatened to have a big inning in the bottom of the eighth when they loaded the bases with no outs against Aztecs junior pitcher and second baseman Alan Trejo.

LBSU’s men looked like they would spoil the rally after two questionably called strike threes but junior third baseman Ramsey Romano legged out an infield single after sliding into first base safely. The hustle play narrowed the Aztecs’ lead to 6-2.

“It’s disappointing,” Buckley said. “Right now [the offense] has to find a way to keep having consistent at bats throughout an inning.”

That is where the lead would stand after SDSU’s senior relief pitcher CJ Saylor got the Dirtbags’ senior first baseman to ground into a game ending double play. LBSU left a total of nine runners on base Tuesday night after a weekend against Fordham, when the Dirtbags scored a surplus of runs.

“I think we’ll be fine,” said Banuelos. “We trust in our guys and we’re not going to hit the panic button. It’s still early in the season.”
LBSU plays an exhibition game against KT Wiz from Korea tonight at Blair Field. No starting pitcher has been named at this time. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.