Long Beach State Dirtbags strike early, shutout USC

With junior AJ Jones on the mound, the Dirtbags jumped to a 3-0 lead against USC Tuesday night before fans could settle into their at Blair Field.

After losing in an 11-inning heartbreaker when the two teams met Feb. 21, LBSU (17-11) slammed the door early on any late-game theatrics adding three more runs to shutout USC 6-0.

Jones dominated early as he had a career-best night for the Dirtbags.

“[It’s] a big deal to do that and change the momentum right at the beginning of the game,” Jones said. “It was also great that our pitching staff was able to hold onto the lead the whole game.”

The Dirtbags got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the first after a two-RBI double from junior designated hitter Luke Rasmussen and an RBI single from senior catcher Daniel Jackson. USC’s (15-12) junior starting pitcher Mason Perryman had trouble finding the strike zone, walking the first two batters, and fell behind 3-0 in the opening inning.

An RBI single from Dirtbags’ junior shortstop Laine Huffman made in 4-0 in the second inning and spelled the end of the evening for Perryman. In 20 2/3 total innings this year, the USC starter has given up six runs — exclusively to LBSU.

Jones (7 IP, 4H, 0 ER, 6 K) looked solid throughout the game for the Dirtbags, giving up only one hit through his first three innings of work. Jones used a steady diet of fastballs complimented by a good breaking ball to keep the Trojans off balance.

“Jones was efficient and made pitches all night long,” head coach Troy Buckley said. “I thought he executed very well tonight and was very good.”

LBSU welcomed back sophomore second baseman Jarren Duran to the field just nine days after he was hit in the face with a fastball which resulted in two fractures. Duran in the No.2 spot in the  second spot in the order, Duran was 0 for 3 with a run scored.

“It felt great to be back,” Duran said. “After the injury, I thought the team might have to move forward without me, so to be back is really important to me.”

Duran donned face-protecting gear both on the field and at the plate in order to return. Nonetheless, LBSU’s spark plug, nicknamed “Hannibal Lecter” by Buckley, seemed happy to be playing again.

Junior third baseman Ramsey Romano was 3 for 4, recording his 11th multi-hit game of 2017 and raised his batting average to .367. Rasmussen finished the night 2 of 4 with a pair of doubles and three RBIs. Huffman had a big night at the plate as well, going 3 for 4 with two RBIs, a run scored and a stolen base.

The Dirtbags have now won six straight games at Blair Field heading into a three-game Big West Conference home series against UC Riverside April 7-9.