Long Beach State softball team gets swept as Cal State Fullerton walks away with win

LBSU falls to No. 3 in Big West standings.

Matthew Simon, Sports Editor

Free bases ended up hurting Long Beach State during its 1-0 loss to Cal State Fullerton at LBSU Softball Complex Sunday afternoon.

Freshman Cielo Meza found herself in a pitching duel with CSUF’s Kelsey Kessler as LBSU (20-25-1, 8-7 Big West) tried to avoid getting swept by the Titans.

After six solid innings of scoreless softball, Meza got in trouble at the top of the seventh inning as CSUF (29-19, 12-3 Big West) loaded the bases with two outs.

Meza walked freshman right fielder Arianna Burns and then gave up a single to senior catcher Kylie Padilla before loading the bases when she hit freshman third baseman Emily Randall with a pitch.

The Titans won the game after Meza walked pinch hitter Irieanna Siofele to push the go-ahead run across.

LBSU went down in order in the bottom of the seventh to end the game.

The 49ers had plenty of opportunities, but weren’t able to push any runs across, leaving five batters on base throughout the game.

With the loss, LBSU drops to third place after being tied with Cal State Northridge for second.

The team will look to get back in the win column when it travels to UC Riverside (24-22, 7-8 Big West) Friday.