Men's Sports, Sports

Alan Knipe receives five year contract extension

The No. 1 Long Beach State men’s volleyball head coach Alan Knipe will continue to coach the 49ers after signing a contract extension through the 2023 season. It was announced Monday by Athletic Director Andy Fee.

“It’s always nice for the people you work for to validate your work and what you’re doing with the program by wanting you to be around,” Knipe said.

Knipe’s previous contract earned him $140,004 a year. This year he was named the 2018 USMC/AVCA Division I-II Men’s National Coach of the Year and the Big West coach of the year after going 26-1 in the regular season, so it was no surprise that the extension came at a time of major success.

“Both President [Jane Close] Conoley and I think that Alan has done an unbelievable job,” Fee told LBSU Athletics. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to keep him here at Long Beach State. I know that he’ll continue to lead our men’s volleyball program to even more success, and most importantly, do so in the right way.”

In Knipe’s 15-year career at Long Beach, he has coached four National Players of the Year, one AVCA Newcomer of the Year, 47 All-America selections, 58 All-MPSF selections and six All-Big West selections. He has also led the 49ers to 13 MPSF Tournaments, one Big West Tournament and five NCAA Final Four appearances.

“I think [Andy] has a pretty good idea of my passion for this program, so I don’t think it was the most difficult negotiation he has ever been through and that’s a great problem,” Knipe said.

In the last year, attendance has doubled at games in large part to the team’s 12-0 record at home.

“I’m excited about this season and the end of it,” Knipe said. “What we can do next year and what new course we take after some of these guys graduate is exciting.”

Long Beach is due to face Ohio St. in the NCAA Final Four Thursday 8 p.m. at Pauley Pavilion.

Updated May 1, 2018