Men's Basketball, Men's Sports

Long Beach State men’s basketball falls, but has plenty to look forward to

The men’s basketball team and head coach Dan Monson were hoping to tick at the right time for the Big West Tournament this past weekend.

Unfortunately, the 49ers were decimated by UC Irvine’s defense in the semifinals.

With shots not falling Friday night and being unable to counter on 20 offensive rebounds, the Anteaters were able to hold off the 49ers in the last minutes of the game.

With the final score of 63-57, sadness spewed from the 49ers’ bench.

LBSU’s starters and role players were bathed in grimaces and sweat, some covering their faces with towels as they walked toward the locker room at the Honda Center, knowing that their season was over.

But, junior Justin Bibbins is looking on the bright side of things.

“We will be back next year,” Bibbins said. “You’ve just got to look on the bright side of things.”

Positive things from this are that the team will have back its starting five and role players that have one more year of experience behind their back.

A player injury hurt the team when junior Gabe Levin fractured his kneecap right before conference started, which changed the 49ers’ identity.

Junior Roschon Prince was the perfect fit for the way Monson wanted to play in conference. He was an All-Big West honorable mention with 13.4 points and 9.4 rebounds in conference games this season.

The last game should not be forgotten by the 49ers – and fans especially – with the way sophomore Temidayo Yussuf grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds and 10 points for his second double-double of the season.

“I’m proud of all these guys,” Monson said. “This has been one of the best groups I’ve had as far as representing this university; if you take out that we didn’t win as much as we should’ve, but this is a group of good guys.”

Freshman guard Jordan Roberts, from Ridgeview High School, is coming to the program next season. He is a 6-foot-8-inch guard and size is what lacks from this roster, especially at the guard position.

Along with most of its roster back, the addition of Roberts and experienced backcourt is something to be enthusiastic about.