Softball

Tigers pounce on ‘Niners with 7th-inning rally

Long Beach State junior pitcher Brooke Turner was solid for just about the entire game until the final inning on Saturday.

The 49ers (17-17, 1-2 Big West Conference) were up, 2-0, and needed just three more outs to come away with a series victory over Pacific, before they allowed four runs in the top of the frame to hand over a 4-2 win to Pacific in front of 255 spectators at the 49er Softball Complex.

“[Pacific] came through,” Turner said. “They got the hits when they needed. They fought all the way through.”

Turner (9-7) held the Tigers scoreless through six innings and allowed only two hits before things began to unravel.

Pacific (14-19, 2-1 Big West) received singles from Karie Wilson and Nikki Armagost — who was also credited with the win — to initiate a seventh inning rally.

Turner allowed both base runners to advance on a wild pitch before giving up a base hit to Megan Allen to put the Tigers on the scoreboard.

The Beach held a 2-1 advantage before Turner walked Alexa Rivera to load the bases.
Pacific tied the game after Amy Moore hit a ground ball to Beach shortstop Ashley Levine, whose throw to home plate did not arrive in time.

“We should’ve put them away a little bit earlier in the game and not have given them that confidence,” Turner said.

The Tigers added two additional runs before Turner was able to get out of the inning.

“Even though we struggled, we were still within striking distance going into the seventh inning,” Pacific head coach Brian Kolze said. “I have to commend our players because they made adjustments and put the ball in play. They found the holes.”

LBSU started a rally of its own after loading the bases in the bottom of the seventh with one out, but pinch hitter Christina Schallig fouled out and Bree Stephen grounded out to end any hopes of a comeback.

Turner completed the game giving up four runs on seven hits, while striking out five and walking two. The Beach collected 10 hits off Armagost (7-4), yet was unable to convert them into runs.

“Pacific is a good team and they have good hitters,” Beach head coach Kim Sowder said. “We left 13 runners on base and kept them in the ballgame and it came back to get us in the end.

“They got clutch shots and key bounces. Whatever it may be, give them credit, we have to do a better job of putting teams away.”

The Beach received two hits each from seniors Ashley Weber and Brandy Reyes, along with freshmen Caitrin DeBaun and Bree Stephen. DeBaun and Jennifer Madigan each drove in one run.

Long Beach goes on the road next weekend for a three-game series at Cal State Northridge, starting with a doubleheader on Saturday, April 10 beginning at noon.

“We let a couple get away this weekend that we shouldn’t have,” Sowder said. “We’re going to have to find a way because there’s not a lot of time. We’re going to have to turn it around quick.”

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.