Brian Eno presents his 77 Million Paintings

Helene Harder, Contributing Writer

Eno’s audio-visual installation is an ever-changing, self-generating software program fed with three hundred of Eno´s self-drawn images, cut into pieces and supposed to generate 77 million artworks automatically.

As a record producer for such famous musicians as David Bowie, the Talking Heads and U2, he was involved in some of the most important albums in the history of pop music. However, his new exhibition, is a unique musical and visual experience. His self-drawn images appear on a luminous screen, interfusing the darkness of the room the audience sits in and creating a sacral and awesome feeling compared to a moment of devotion.

Eno said he considered “77 Million Paintings” as visual music, rather than an uninteresting promotional video.

“The generative principles which created it are exactly the same at those which drove many of my Ambient musical pieces,” Eno said. “It creates an experience poised midway between painting and music.”

The images are highlighted by a computer-generated music soundtrack, also created by Brian Eno. By inserting basic parameters into the software, the exhibition creates an infinite number of sound variations. It is a quiet, slow sound without any beats, just several tones like an everlasting feeling of awakening to a zen type of environment.

Eno, best known as a member of Roxy Music and a record producer for famous artists, created the first volume of a new Ambient series of albums for his new label in 1973. The label, Obscure Records, would later become defunct, but it was the first of many musical experiments he produced after leaving Roxy Music in 1973.

The lesser-known albums he released as solo projects push the boundaries of experimental publications. He also created music for Airports and the Microsoft theme, probably the most recognized works of the past quarter-century.

With his new painting exhibition, Eno said he wanted to produce paintings that moved fluidly, like music.

“We are used to the idea of paintings being still and music moving,” Eno said. “When I started making Ambient music, I was trying to make a type of music that approached the condition of painting – that approached a sort of stillness. Now I am doing the obverse of that – trying to make paintings that behave a title like music.”

“77 Million Paintings” has been shown at the Venice Biennale and the Milan Triennale, as well as in world metropolis cities like Tokyo, London, San Francisco and Sydney. Eno´s incredible beautiful multi-media installation will be on display at the University Art Museum CSULB from Sept. 12 to Dec. 13. Don´t miss the chance to experience this wonderful exhibition.

Brian Eno will be lecturing about his career and his exhibit at the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center at California State University Long Beach, on September 20th. Tickets for the lecure are $100 ($75 for students and seniors) and can be purchased by calling the Carpenter Center Arts Ticket Office at (562) 985-7000 or visiting www.carpenterarts.org/