Uncategorized

Char Pack brings retro fashion to Long Beach

Blue lights sat vibrantly on the runway as Char Pack, a Cal State Long Beach fashion design alumnus, prepared backstage for the debut fashion show of her Dirtysix clothing company.

The Nov. 11 evening event “You Can’t Handle the Youth” at the Shore Ultra Lounge in Long Beach presented various artworks for sale by local artists and Pack’s new line, set to officially release in the spring. 

Designer and Dirtysix CEO Pack, who graduated in 2007, fashioned pieces for younger women who mix older styles into their wardrobe. The ripped tees, jeans and lacy tights of Dirtysix exemplify the nostalgic craze for the red lipstick, retro fashions.

“I have wanted to have my own line since I was a kid,” Pack said in an e-mail. “I’ve worked for other companies for the last several years in the industry and just always felt like I wanted to be the boss and run the show.”

Getting established as a designer in Long Beach has been Pack’s focus in her young career, where she designed the Long Beach Roller Derby team’s uniforms and jackets, and designed the Moxi Streetwear collection, which has merchandise for rollers and skaters.

The young entrepreneur also designs merchandise for the Southern California British American Motorcycle Club, or BA-Moto, and is also working on a children’s collection with Lil’ Devils Boutique, which is located at 2218 E. 4th St.

While Pack enjoys these partnerships, Dirtysix has given her the opportunity to express her own stylish concepts. She calls her new line “not a collection of garments but a lifestyle that so many of us live.”

Audience members got to see what Pack meant by “lifestyle” at last Thursday’s show, where the fashion and crowd — full of business owners, friends and supporters — resembled that of 4th Street’s Retro Row. The art gallery ranged from neon pop art that jumped off the canvas to Mexican-influenced skull art.

“I love the idea of getting young artists out there,” said Ian Williams, a CSULB illustration major. Williams, a friend of Pack, has lived in Long Beach for seven years and showed several pieces in the exhibition.

The show went beyond displaying art and fashion, but was a way for local business owners, designers and artists to meet and make potential partnerships.

“That’s what tonight is about, bringing Long Beach together,” said Angela Roman, who did public relations and production planning through her business, Social Pro.

Brent Firestone, a philosophy CSULB graduate of 2007, is a friend of Pack and helped with the fashion show’s videography.

“Long Beach has more of a community than anywhere else I’ve been,” Firestone said.

Long Beach native and CSULB communications senior J.C. Poper did rental planning for the event. Poper said he has seen a revival of the arts community in recent years.

“[Art] has been secluded in the areas it has been in and not fluent throughout the city,” Poper said, adding that events like “You Can’t Handle the Youth” prove that this climate is changing.

Pack compared planning the fashion show to that of a college group project “times 500.”

“There are just tons of different personalities, different ways of doing things, different schedules, different opinions — but in the end I think that is what made the show successful,” Pack said in an e-mail.

Lil’ Devils store manager Katie Schipske, a CSULB fashion merchandising alumnus, was among the many business owners who had a vendor’s booth at the show. Schipske has a tattoo that reads “Last Port Long Beach” and said she is excited to see so many young people taking up leadership roles.

Because of Long Beach’s young energy, Schipske said it’s easy to fall in love with the city and added, “You live and die in Long Beach.”