Uncategorized

Nguyen, Thomas, Quibuyen win ASI elections; Football referendum fails

Lucy Nguyen, Stephen Thomas and Michael Quibuyen will be the next Associated Students Inc. executive leaders.

ASI announced the results of the student election at noon on Friday. The winners will hold office in the 2011-12 academic year.

Nguyen claimed 75 percent of the presidential vote with 2, 217 votes. Thomas won out against Melissa Molina with nearly 59 percent, or 1,710 votes. Quibuyen defeated opponent Justin Lawson in a close race with 51 percent of the vote.

“The students have never failed in picking the best candidates,” Nguyen said. “I’m very excited to be working with a great group.”

The student referendum “Bring Back 49er Football” failed with a paper-thin margin of only 3 percent. Fifty-two percent of students voted ‘no,’ while 48 percent voted ‘yes.’

A total of 3,191 students voted this year, which is equivalent to 9.4 percent of the student population. It is the second-highest voting participation rate on record.

“It’s going to be a really fun year next year,” Thomas said. “Thank you to everyone who voted.”

Official results for all positions and referendums are available for viewing at csulb.edu/asi.