Long Beach State athletics will enhance its brand

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
July 17, 2014
Filed under Sports

Long Beach State Athletics will be tweaking its brand by implementing subtle changes to existing logos, creating a third logo and redesigning thecourt in the Walter Pyramid starting in October and continuing into next summer, according to the athletics press release. Parties involved in the decision... Read more »

Germany vs Brazil is a satisfying dissatisfaction

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
July 9, 2014
Filed under Sports

After this Sunday, the World Cup winner will be crowned and it’s no surprise that Germany will be fighting for the title. However, it is likely that there are many who did not foresee a horrendous 7-1 game in the semifinals round, especially against the renowned Brazil team playing on home turf. According... Read more »

King James becomes a hot commodity after opting out of his contract

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
June 25, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Men's Basketball, Showcase, Sports

Basketball has always been a hot topic for this busy community with the 16-time champion Lakers to boast about, a geographic region that is known to produce some of the best players in the nation and now a rising Clippers team to bring even more pride to the city of Los Angeles. But... Read more »

Long Beach State track and field underdogs prevail

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
June 18, 2014
Filed under Showcase, Sports

After a triumphant season, it is no surprise that this team is full of people with passion, strength and tenacity, who are ready for the next level. So for the naysayers, nonbelievers and people who think money will produce top-performing athletes, watch out as head coach Andy Sythe and company take... Read more »

Long Beach State alumnus and Maryland transfer look to heat up the summer

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
June 18, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Former 49er anticipated to be on the Miami Heat’s roster The 2013 Long Beach State alumnus James Ennis was the No. 50 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, in which the Heat obtained from the Atlanta Hawks. News has been circulating around the 2014 NBA finals runner-up looking for... Read more »

Meet Long Beach State’s NCAA track & field championship qualifiers

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
June 12, 2014
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Showcase, Sports, Sports News

National championships — words that have crept into the veins of every competitive college athlete, a goal sought by the most elite, stirring up the greatest determination, and sometimes pain from overexertion of the body or joy from milestone victories. There aren’t many things in life that can... Read more »

The Beach stays hot

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
June 5, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Long Beach State continually climbs toward the top by having a respectable athletics program. Three Big West championships in the spring helped LBSU claim its fourth straight Commissioner’s Cup, an award given to the top athletics program in the conference, while women’s... Read more »

CSULB alumna dies in car accident with two colleagues

Anita Wang, Sports Editor
May 21, 2014
Filed under News

Karolina Christine Mora, a Cal State Long Beach international studies alumna, was killed in a car accident with two of her colleagues while driving to a high school event in Texas on May 14. She was 26. Mora was traveling as a representative for Liberty in North Korea, a non-profit organization devoted... Read more »

49ers’ season likely over after first-round loss

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
April 20, 2014
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team dissolved all hopes for its first Mountain Pacific Sports Federation title and an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament Saturday after falling to Pepperdine in four sets during the quarterfinals of the MPSF tournament. Pepperdine (19-6) took an early advantage... Read more »

49ers to chase NCAA goal at MPSF tournament

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
April 16, 2014

All but one of the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team’s starting line-up are seniors. This Saturday’s Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament quarterfinal match against No. 2 Pepperdine could result in their last collegiate showdown or a chance to continue their quest for an automatic... Read more »

Dalton Ammerman follows in family’s footsteps to become volleyball star

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
April 14, 2014

Legalized marijuana and fleets of winter snow might be the most interesting aspects of good ole’ Colorado. Even its nickname, the Centennial State, given to the land because of its membership to America 100 years after the nation signed the declaration of independence, isn’t as appealing as neighboring... Read more »

Men’s volleyball team secures 7th seed in MPSF

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
April 13, 2014

During the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team’s last week playing in the Walter Pyramid this season, it dominated No. 15 Cal State Northridge on both Thursday and Saturday nights to earn the No. 7 seed in the quarterfinals of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament. Although there... Read more »

LBSU to face CSUN in crucial series to end season

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
April 9, 2014

With one week left of regular season play, the No. 7 Long Beach State men’s volleyball team will face two must-win situations this week against Cal State Northridge in order to secure a spot in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament. With 13 teams in the conference, eight advance to the... Read more »

LBSU to end road trip at UC Irvine and UCSD

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
March 26, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team started its last month of conference play with a pair of losses and will close out its four-match road swing against UC San Diego and UC Irvine this weekend. The 49ers (15-6, 12-6 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) had seen much success before falling... Read more »

Men’s volleyball falls to Pepperdine, USC on road

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
March 23, 2014

After a month of defeating foes at home, the No. 2 Long Beach State men’s volleyball team saw its eight-match winning streak snap with a sweep by Pepperdine and a tough 3-1 loss to Southern California. It was the second time this season LBSU lost two consecutive matches, with the first time against... Read more »

‘Niners fall short of upsetting Pepperdine

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
March 18, 2014
Filed under Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

The Long Beach State women’s sand volleyball team gave No. 1 Pepperdine a run for its money Tuesday but ultimately lost 3-2 in a rematch of last year’s national championship match. The 49ers became the first team this year to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Waves because wins from the Tyler... Read more »

Long Beach State sweeps Big Ten foes in Active Ankle Tournament

Anita Wang, Assistant Sports Editor
March 16, 2014

The Long Beach State men's volleyball team defeated No. 15 Ohio State in a thrilling five sets and swept No. 14 Penn State at the Active Ankle Classic tournament to reach its eighth consecutive win. This tournament was the perfect way to end LBSU's eight-match homestand as it looks forward to hitting... Read more »

Men’s volleyball team upsets second-ranked BYU

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
March 9, 2014

Weekends for the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team didn’t seem like they could get any better until the 49ers triumphed over No. 2 BYU 3-1 before sweeping Cal Baptist the following night to gain its sixth straight win. The 49ers (13-4, 12-4 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) started the... Read more »

LBSU men’s volleyball team takes down No. 8 Stanford, Pacific

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
March 2, 2014

After taking down No.8 Stanford 3-1 (25-27, 25-23, 25-18 and 25-23) and sweeping Pacific (25-15, 25-19 and 25-18 ), the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team jumped to third place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation. No. 5 LBSU (11-4, 10-4 MPSF) has won seven of its last eight matches and... Read more »

Long Beach State to face No. 8 Stanford at the Pyramid

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
February 26, 2014

After jumping up two spots in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation standings with a pair of wins last week, the fifth-ranked Long Beach State men’s volleyball team will face No. 8 Stanford and unranked Pacific this weekend. Although LBSU (9-4, 8-4 MPSF) has experienced much improvement and success,... Read more »

Long Beach State sweeps defending champs UCI

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
February 19, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team transformed the Black and Blue Rivalry Series into a bright one as it swept two-time defending national champion UC Irvine to kick off an eight-game homestand. LBSU (8-4, 7-4 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) is happy to finally be able to take a break... Read more »

49ers to return from week off with match at UCLA

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
February 11, 2014

After an entire week off from conference play, the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team is ready to hit the road to face No. 2 UCLA and No. 6 UC Santa Barbara. Head coach Alan Knipe said he appreciated the time off after a rough January during which his team played 14 matches with only four held... Read more »

ASI hopes to create 24-hour study center

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
February 5, 2014
Filed under News

Associated Students, Inc.’s proposal to create a new 24-hour study center on campus has encountered an obstacle — there is no location for it. ASI Chief of Staff Joseph Phillips said that earlier this year ASI President John Haberstroh appointed Phillips and ASI Secretary of Internal Affairs Andrew... Read more »

Men’s volleyball team comes back to beat Stanford, sweeps Pacific

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
February 2, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team extended its winning streak the three games as it returned home from Northern California with victories at Stanford (17-25, 25-27, 25-18, 25-18 and 15-11) and Pacific (25-22, 25-12 and 25-16). Before the team hit the road, head coach Alan Knipe expressed... Read more »

‘Niners take down top-ranked Pepperdine

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
January 26, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team showed some guts when it handed No.1 Pepperdine its first loss of the season in five sets (25-14, 21-25, 21-25, 25-23 and 15-11) Friday night after getting swept by Southern California two nights earlier. “The schedule and all the traveling we do is brutal,... Read more »

LBSU loses second straight in sweep by USC

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
January 23, 2014
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Showcase, Sports

The Long Beach State men's volleyball team continues to struggle finding its rhythm after getting swept in a heart-clenching three-game match against Southern California, ending with scores of 25-19, 25-22 and 33-31. The Trojans (4-1, 3-1 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) exhibited immense effort... Read more »

Long Beach State loses two of three after early success

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
January 21, 2014

Expectations for the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team started high, as the 49ers were ranked fourth in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division I-II Preseason Poll and were picked to tie for first in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Eyes... Read more »

Massages relieve stress during finals

Anita Wang, Contributing Reporter
December 17, 2013
Filed under Podcasts

When stress strikes, ASI fights back with free massages. At the Student Recreation and Wellness Center at Cal State Long Beach, students lined up for a free five minute massage.  

49ers’ disappointing season ends with victory

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
December 1, 2013

The night after an exhilarating and surprising victory against Big West’s then first-place team, UC Santa Barbara, the 49ers snatched a sweep in their last match of the season against Cal Poly, ending with scores of 25-12, 25-16 and 25-14. Domination was foreseen, as the 49ers (18-11, 11-5 Big West)... Read more »

LBSU to face Big West’s 8th- and 9th-place teams

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
November 13, 2013

The end to the women’s volleyball season is coming to a close, as the 49ers will take their last three road matches within the next two weeks, with two this weekend against UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton. During their last meeting against the Highlanders (1-22, 0-11 Big West Conference), the... Read more »

49ers come close but can’t finish in upset bid

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
November 11, 2013

Homecoming weekend ended in disappointment for Long Beach State’s women’s volleyball team, as it let a close win slip away in a five-set match against Big West Conference’s first-place Cal State Northridge, ending with scores of 23-25, 25-15, 25-22, 24-26 and 12-15. The 49ers (13-11, 6-5 Big... Read more »

LBSU survives in win over UC Davis

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
November 9, 2013

Emotions from last week's loss at Hawaii seemed to have carried into the match against UC Davis and almost cost Long Beach State a win. But the 49ers managed to halt the Aggies' three-game winning streak in a four-set match, ending with scores of 27-25, 25-23, 19-25 and 25-23. The 49ers had difficulty... Read more »

Long Beach State comes up short in upset bid of No. 15 Hawaii

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
November 3, 2013

One month ago, after the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team lost to Hawaii at the Walter Pyramid, libero Tyler Jackson said something that summed up the night for the 49ers: “The most disappointing thing tonight is losing but knowing that we could’ve won.” A similar fate unraveled inside... Read more »

49ers extend winning streak with sweep of UC Irvine

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 27, 2013

The weekend before Halloween ended with cheers instead of fears for Long Beach State. The LBSU women’s volleyball team snagged its fourth consecutive win in a sweep of UC Irvine in the Black and Blue rivalry series, ending with scores of 25-18, 25-21 and 25-15. Delainey Aigner-Swesey led the... Read more »

LBSU to host UC Irvine for Black & Blue rivalry game

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 24, 2013

Long Beach State’s challenges with injury didn’t stop them from taking three consecutive wins to carry the momentum into this week’s game against UC Irvine. The 49ers will take on the Anteaters, who took their only two conference victories against Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside. The Anteaters... Read more »

CSULB professors take innovative teaching methods to China

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 21, 2013
Filed under News

Two Cal State Long Beach professors traveled to China this summer to teach more than 300 college professors innovative classroom techniques designed to improve student learning and teaching skills. To make the trip, Professors Carlos Piar and David Tabb Stewart worked with the Society for Values in... Read more »

49ers cruise to defeat Highlanders in three games

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 20, 2013

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team took some time to find its momentum against UC Riverside, but the 49ers still were able to complete a sweep with scores of 25-16, 25-15 and 25-8. Chisom Okpala hit a .389 with nine kills and had a team-leading six blocks for the night. Alex Reid also... Read more »

49ers take down Cal State Fullerton in five

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 19, 2013

The Long Beach State women's volleyball ignited the Walter Pyramid as it defeated Cal State Fullerton in a five-game thriller Friday night. Starting the night with two tough losses to the Titans, the 49ers came out of the locker room dominating the third game and remained in control to end with scores... Read more »

Long Beach State still bothered by injury, set to host Titans, Highlanders

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 16, 2013

After splitting two games on the road last week, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team will come back to the Walter Pyramid this weekend to host Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside. Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said he is trying to focus his attention on improving his team instead of concentrating... Read more »

Flavor Focus: George’s Greek Cafe

Flavor Focus: George’s Greek Cafe

Anita Wang, Contributing Writer
October 14, 2013
Filed under Blog, Flavor Focus

Did you know that a Mediterranean diet is found to be associated with significant health benefits that include lower rates of heart disease, cancer, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s? At least it is according to the British Medical Journal. The diet has its own food pyramid, where it shows vegetables,... Read more »

‘Niners to travel to Cal State Northridge, UC Davis

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
October 9, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

After last Friday’s disappointing sweep at the hands of No. 6 Hawaii, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team hopes to redeem itself on the road this week as it takes on Cal State Northridge and UC Davis. The 49ers (8-8, 1-2 Big West Conference) don’t want to let any mistakes  be made... Read more »

Club sports struggle to get publicity

Club sports struggle to get publicity

Anita Wang , Staff Writer
September 30, 2013
Filed under News

Club sports at Cal State Long Beach are struggling to gain publicity as a result of on-campus advertising restrictions. Associated Students Inc. Senator-at-large Vanessa Mendoza said a student concerned about club sports’ lack of publicity contacted her during the second week of school. In addition,... Read more »

49er Shops composts 30 tons of food

49er Shops composts 30 tons of food

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
September 29, 2013
Filed under News

49er Shops has diverted 30 tons of food waste from landfills to a composting facility throughout the past year in an effort to reduce its carbon footprint. The idea to compost leftover food came from 49er Shops’ “green team,” who realized that their biggest challenge was dealing with the difficult... Read more »

Two CSUs, UCs to be audited for sexual assault mishandling

Anita Wang, Staff Writer
September 24, 2013
Filed under News

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated Linda Bubar's title as president of the National Women's Political Caucus. She is president of the local L.A. chapter of the National Women's Political Caucus. The article also incorrectly stated  that under the Clery Act, all colleges... Read more »

Farmers market to return Wednesday

Farmers market to return Wednesday

Anita Wang, Contributing Writer
September 9, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach’s farmers market will return this week, and this semester students will see the stands of fruit and vegetables appear on campus more often. The farmers market will now be held every other week in front of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, as opposed to last semester’s... Read more »

CSULB hires 34 tenure-track faculty for 2013-14

Anita Wang, Contributing Writer
September 8, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach has hired 34 tenure-track faculty this year, more than tripling its number of these hires since 2010-11. “We had a few difficult budget years, but this year's 34 is a small increase from last year's 26,” said Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs David... Read more »

Washington Monthly: CSULB gives students 6th best bang for their buck

Anita Wang, Contributing Writer
September 1, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach is ranked sixth in the nation for giving students the best bang for their buck, according to Washington Monthly. The new “Best Bang for the Buck” list by Washington Monthly, a non-profit magazine covering U.S. government and politics, ranked colleges and universities across... Read more »