CSULB’s true “super senior” dies at age 82

Danielle Carson, Design Director
July 6, 2014
Filed under News

A seat in the front row was always filled by a man with perfect teeth and a passion for knowledge. He shuffled into class every day with his wispy hair smoothed back, notebook tucked under the crook of his arm and a wrinkled smile. Eighty-two-year-old anthropology major Edward Salkin could outrun... Read more »

PAC Modern packs a punch

PAC Modern packs a punch

Danielle Carson, Design Director
May 22, 2014
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

By the base of the Cal State Long Beach’s Walter Pyramid, a group of well-conditioned dancers kneel, cross their arms and link fingers before beginning a ground-shaking... Read more »

Spotlight on local bands: Honor Meets the Outlaw

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
April 29, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music, Showcase

Honor Meets the Outlaw has worked their way up to the Glass House and the House of Blues. Now, they’re looking for fans to take with them. They started as three piece acoustic group, and after a few face changes and a naming, the four-member Alternative pop punk band is now just shy of four years... Read more »

Spotlight on local bands: FairLady

Spotlight on local bands: FairLady

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
April 23, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music, Reviews, Showcase

Dylan Fuentes, guitarist and vocalist of FairLady, handed me a pair of earplugs before I entered the garage, then closed the door behind me. During a practice performance of a medley of four very different songs, I was advised by drummer Nick Medina to further protect my hearing with a pair of noise-canceling... Read more »

Portlandia goes on tour

Portlandia goes on tour

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
April 15, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Reviews, Showcase, TV

Fred Armisen made a name for himself with SNL and The Tonight Show band, but now he’s touring as an actor, drawing a fan base just as quirky as his hit show “Portlandia,” which is currently in its fourth season. Armisen said he went on the nationwide tour to watch new episodes of Portlandia... Read more »

Party culture explodes in Lake Havasu City

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
March 26, 2014
Filed under Diversions, Events, Showcase, Travel

SPRING BREAK. Time to retreat to paradise and go as crazy as possible for that mid-semester college ritual of rebellion. Lake Havasu City is one of those places, known for raging sunshine that will brown you in a heartbeat and a party culture like no other. According to the General Manager of... Read more »

Animal rights conflict should teach SeaWorld a flippin’ lesson

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
March 12, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

It’s really not “finny” anymore. SeaWorld is “gill-ty.” A state law, though, may not be the right solution to help SeaWorld discontinue its practices of animal cruelty. State Assemblyman Richard Bloom, D-Santa Monica, along with “Blackfish” Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite, two... Read more »

Imagining the Holi Color Festival

Imagining the Holi Color Festival

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
March 9, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Events, Showcase

In spirit of the “Holi” celebration, strangers hugged and danced on the Excelsior high school grounds in Norwalk Saturday as the sweet scent of powder clouded the air. The literal meaning of the Indian word “Holi” is burning. According to ancient Indian tradition, the festival was originally... Read more »

Album review: Real Estate’s “Atlas”

Album review: Real Estate’s “Atlas”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music, Reviews

Call me crazy, but Real Estate’s new album may just be the best thing since their last full album, “Days,” in 2011. For any fans of laid back, stress relieving music that ironically, keeps you up rather than puts you to sleep, Real Estate is the band for you. Real Estate’s sixth album,... Read more »

New ballads, fresh beats: The Fray’s “Helios”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 26, 2014

The Fray emerged once again when they released their fifth full-length album, “Helios,” via Epic Records Monday. The band recruited British techno producer Stuart Price who has brought a more energetic sound to their music, a far cry from arguably their best-known songs “How To Save A Life”... Read more »

Brand new flavor in your ears – Phantogram’s “Voices”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 19, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Reviews, Showcase

After premiering a stream of singles, Phantogram released their third album, “Voices” on Tuesday. “Ever have the feeling that you’ve constantly been dreaming this is life” is the album’s first lyric and immediately reveals the sentiment on which the album is built. Phantogram, comprised... Read more »

Valentine’s Day: Setting the mood with food

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 12, 2014
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

Humans have been seeking the perfect aphrodisiac for centuries. The name originally comes from the Greek Goddess Aphrodite, who embodied sexual desire and the power of love. The word literally means “the agent of the love goddess,” according to the Encyclopedia of Aphrodisiacs by Christian Rätsch... Read more »

Valentine’s Day: Albums to set the mood

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 12, 2014

James Vincent McMorrow- Post Tropical Best song- Cavalier The album came out less than a month ago, and contrasts sharply with his previous album, “Early in the Morning,” which is comprised of upbeat acoustic tunes. Nevertheless, James Vincent McMorrow has always been a singer... Read more »

‘Today’s Moustache’: season two

‘Today’s Moustache’: season two

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 10, 2014
Filed under Diversions, Lifestyle, Showcase

It has grown significantly over the past year. As he speaks, your eyes can’t help but drift down from his eyes. In between phrases, he periodically strokes it, pinching it between his fingers to maintain the perfect fluff-to-curl ratio. John Ciulik is the man behind the friendliest, best-known moustache... Read more »

The Crystal Antlers Odyssey

The Crystal Antlers Odyssey

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 5, 2014

I entered a shed-turned studio carpeted with woven rugs and stocked with a dozen guitars, stacks of drums, an Organ and a stand-up bass. These hand-me-down instruments the Crystal Antlers have inherited from swap meets, pawn shops and acquaintances over the years have taken the band all over the world. Next... Read more »

New music this week: Gardens & Villa’s “Dunes”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
February 4, 2014

In a more audibly docile, yet just as catchy sophomore album, Gardens & Villa show they’re barely getting started. “Dunes” was released Tuesday via record label Secretly Canadian and produced by the acclaimed Tim Goldsworthy, the producer of Cut Copy. The new album explores love, human... Read more »

Recycle your closet

Recycle your closet

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
January 27, 2014
Filed under Diversions, Fashion, Showcase

The current generation of young people is straying away from disposable clothing and seeking individuality in their attire. Leah Zahn, 35, said she has sifted through the racks of thrift stores for treasures since she was in high school, and more recently, opened her own clothing store in Long Beach. Zahn’s... Read more »

Audiences will fall in love with “Her”

Audiences will fall in love with “Her”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Movies, Reviews

“Her,” written and directed by Spike Jonze, is a unique blend of science fiction and romance that inevitably compels audiences. “Her” is realistic enough to grasp audiences and unique enough to become a timeless film that strikes us just like classics such as “Bicentennial Man” or “Wall-E.”... Read more »

The fall of Blockbuster

The fall of Blockbuster

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
November 20, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Rental & Dvds, Showcase

Let’s face it. Going into blockbuster with that little blue rental card is officially a thing of the past. Two weeks ago, DISH Network Corporation announced that all Blockbuster stores will close by early January. DISH President and Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton blamed the death of the... Read more »

Fresh album releases: Lady Gaga’s “ARTPOP”

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
November 12, 2013

While the one and only Lady Gaga produces some of the most unique music on the Top 40 music charts today, many critics are saying that her over-obsession with being stark-naked and honest has led to overindulgence in her most recent album, “ARTPOP,” which was released last week. Along with releasing... Read more »

Jailbreak

Jailbreak

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
November 11, 2013
Filed under Diversions

Tech lovers and hackers alike patiently await the jailbreak for Apple’s iOS 7 operating system, which was released on Sept. 18, but it seems that they’ll have to wait a little longer. While rumors of the new jailbreak have invaded the internet, some of the lead jailbreak developers, including... Read more »

Making The Moderates

Making The Moderates

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
November 6, 2013

They thrive off of chips and salsa, Fiber One bars and making music. Cal State Long Beach freshman film major Josh Taylor (vocals and guitar), sophomore communications major Wes Mathison (bass) and Hollywood’s Musicians Institute student Garret Huff (drums) have been friends since before their voices... Read more »

Trick-or-Treating you to a little Halloween history

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Holidays, Showcase

Our parents dressed us up as princesses or superheroes and paraded us around town as we filled pillowcases with candy that we never wanted to share with our siblings. We would spend hours, even days, formulating the perfect costume. As we grew, our costumes became more ironic and clever, or in some cases,... Read more »

A day in the Omani life

A day in the Omani life

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
October 22, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Events, Showcase

Students were drawn by the unmistakable sound of middle eastern drumbeats coming from the University Dining Plaza yesterday. As students followed the sounds and stepped down the stairs, they saw Omani students dressed in traditional garb, who were dressing others as well as dancing, feeding and teaching... Read more »

From ordinary to outlandish

From ordinary to outlandish

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Showcase

Students and faculty thronged around a tall, rectangular block made of rough, drab-dried clay material. To the inartistic eye, it’s just that. But to MFA sculptor Nick Gaby, it’s minimalist sculpture with infinite potential. This week’s student art exhibit featured works that were not as outwardly... Read more »

Walking to remember, dancing to heal

Walking to remember, dancing to heal

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
October 6, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

Hillside and Parkside College residents heard the faint sounds of drumbeats and native songs Saturday night, when the annual Ancestor Walk came to Puvungna, the sacred Native American land next to Parkside. What looks like a field of weeds used to be an Ajachamen village that covered all of the Cal... Read more »

Shared medical visits provide a better setting for some patients

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
September 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

When most people in the western world think of a doctor’s visit, they think of close quarters and the exchange of private, sometimes embarrassing information. Sometimes, people leave doctor’s visits devastated, frustrated and out of money. According to an article from the Los Angeles Times,... Read more »

In case you missed the Airshow…

In case you missed the Airshow…

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
September 22, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

The Red Bull Flugtag drew masses from all over California to Downtown Long Beach on Saturday, when contestants from Alaska to Hawaii launched their comically designed aircrafts into Rainbow Harbor. Since 1992, when Red Bull held its first Flugtag in Vienna, Austria, teams of five have been assembling... Read more »

John & Jon show their musical side

John & Jon show their musical side

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions

Hail_Nero is the name, playing really loud and diversified music is the game. The band is composed of Associated Students Inc. Vice President Jonathon Bolin on guitar and vocals, ASI President John Haberstroh on bass, John Jost on drums and Robbie Zdjelar on lead guitar. Bolin referred to the group as... Read more »

Skateboarding gets a facelift

Skateboarding gets a facelift

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
August 27, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

In popular belief, skateboarding is the diversion of choice for rebels, daredevils and dropouts. At Cal State Long Beach, however, it’s a popular and now stylish mode of transportation. A quickly emerging company, born in Berkeley, Calif., that makes skateboards just for college students has chosen... Read more »

Miley Cyrus strips, Katy Perry roars at 2013 VMAs

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
August 26, 2013
Filed under Diversions, Showcase

The day before classes begin is usually a busy one, and many a student may have missed out on watching the MTV Video Music Awards. Anyone who wasn’t watching missed a few reunions and surprises, as well as a big disgrace. Lady Gaga showed more than just her costume creativity when she opened the... Read more »

Summertime Playlist

Summertime Playlist

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
August 25, 2013

Ballyhoo!   With their last albums being titled “Daydream” and “Cheers!,” Ballyhoo! produces summertime grooves perfect for blasting through the open car window. The blend of rock and reggae with a dash of pop and punk categorizes the group alongside bands such as Slightly... Read more »

CSULB Sailing Team to set sail in China

CSULB Sailing Team to set sail in China

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under News

The nationally ranked Cal State Long Beach Sailing Team is turning its sails toward China for next month. Five of the CSULB Sailing Team’s top sailors will represent the U.S. in Xiamen, China, in a competition against 13 Chinese college teams in the Pan-Pacific Intercollegiate Regatta from July... Read more »

Genetically modified foods should be under larger microscope

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

“Big agriculture” is what they call it these days, because after all, bigger is better in America. The Food and Drug Administration and the White House are in cahoots with Monsanto, a multinational agricultural corporation that controls nearly 90 percent of all genetically engineered seeds, from... Read more »

‘The Purge’ seems great in theory, poor in presentation

Danielle Carson, Diversions Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Movies

“The Purge,” a film that has been buzzing on the lips of anyone who has seen the previews, will be in theaters Friday. The film’s stars are Lena Headey from “Game of Thrones” and Ethan Hawke of “Sinister,” and the film is directed by James DeMonaco, who also produced “Insidious” and... Read more »

PHOTO SLIDESHOW: Long Beach Grand Prix roars into Downtown Long Beach

Danielle Carson, Assistant Diversions Editor
April 22, 2013
Filed under News

The sound of screeching tires and roaring engines ripped through Long Beach on the opening day of the Long Beach Grand Prix on Friday. The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach has worked in conjunction with the Grand Prix Foundation since 1991, surrounding the nearly two-mile race circuit... Read more »

Students measure the cost of cutting class

April 16, 2013
Filed under News

Ej Arcilla, a junior health administration major, skips class when she knows boredom and fatigue will take over. "If you're going to pay attention in class, then go, but if you're... Read more »

Smokers should make the transition to healthier e-cigarettes

Danielle Carson
April 15, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

"Dude. It's just vapor," my friend said to our resident assistant after letting out a cloud of fruity-smelling smoke in the common room. My friend, a regular smoker, is now obsessed with his e-cigarette, an electronic apparatus that uses batteries to heat an aqueous nicotine solution. E-cigarettes... Read more »

A guide to surviving your first rave

A guide to surviving your first rave

March 19, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

When I told a friend that I would be going to my first rave on Saturday, he said I would either love it or hate it. I'm grateful to say that it was the former. Beyond Wonderland is an "Alice in Wonderland" themed rave put on by Insomniac events. On Saturday, the festival was held at... Read more »

LBT to celebrate 50 years of service

LBT to celebrate 50 years of service

March 13, 2013
Filed under News

After 50 years of ensuring that its passengers get where they need to be on time, Long Beach Transit is taking a break to celebrate its anniversary and those who ride with them. On Friday, LBT will be celebrating its ... Read more »

Long Beach digs trees

Long Beach digs trees

February 27, 2013
Filed under News

As the second-busiest seaport in the United States, the Port of Long Beach imports and exports goods from around the world, all the while, pumping out tons of greenhouse gases. Now the port is working with the City of Long Beach to counter this environmental harm - by planting trees. ... Read more »

Student filmmaker raises money for his ‘masterpiece’

February 20, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Senior film and electronic arts major and student filmmaker Seth Craven and his team of 30 are fundraising for his biggest masterpiece yet, "A Dog's Life," which will be the one of the longest student films ever produced in the Cal State Long Beach film department. "A Dog's Life" is based... Read more »

SRWC helps students unlock their personalities

February 17, 2013
Filed under News

Gym-goers' true colors will soon be revealed in the front lobby of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center through a personality test assessed by the Beach Balance office. The True Colors Personality Assessment will be offered on Feb. 25 through Feb. 28 in the front lobby of the ... Read more »

Students bring clarity to black relationships

February 12, 2013
Filed under News

With Valentine's Day right around the corner, some campus organizations are changing their agendas to the language of love. "Love is very special in the black community because it's communicated in different ways," Cal State Long Beach Africana... Read more »

Students hash it out in national moot court competition

January 23, 2013
Filed under News

Senior political science major Ryan Chapman spent more than eight months preparing for the 2013 American Collegiate Moot Court Association national championships but still found himself shaking as he stepped up on stage. "I am always very nervous no matter how many times I've competed," Chapman... Read more »

CSULB students coach girls in running, self-esteem

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
December 5, 2012
Filed under News

Female role models from Cal State Long Beach have empowered young girls by helping them put on their running shoes, as part of a nationwide program called Girls on the Run. The program has seen participation from more than 30 Cal State Long Beach students in the past four years, according... Read more »

Chico State suspends Greek activity

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
November 26, 2012
Filed under News

After reports of alleged hazing, assaults and a recent alcohol-induced death, Chico State President Paul Zingg suspended activities of all fraternities and sororities associated with the campus,... Read more »

CSULB’s true “super senior”

CSULB’s true “super senior”

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
November 25, 2012
Filed under News

Edward Salkin never felt the urge to return to school once he finished, because he never left. At 80 years old, Salkin has been a student his entire life. Bright-eyed Salkin sits in the front row of Denise Cucurny's physical anthropology class at Cal State Long Beach. After dabbling in foreign... Read more »

Legislators graded on support for the CSU

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under News

Students are no longer the only ones with report cards, as the Cal State University is grading legislators based on their votes on key legislation - and some aren't happy with their grades. "[The scorecard is] an informational publication to provide stakeholders interested in what happens... Read more »

Petition looks to unlock closure for students

Danielle Carson, Danielle Carson, and Danielle Carson
November 5, 2012
Filed under News

The closure of the art lockers has placed a heavy burden on the backs of Cal State Long Beach art students, but Associated Students Inc. and school officials are looking to lighten the load. CSULB students, ASI... Read more »

November 5, 2012
Filed under News

November 5, 2012
Filed under News

Students practice yoga to raise money for sex trafficking victims

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
October 28, 2012
Filed under News

A group of charitable Yogis greeted the Saturday sun as it climbed up the eastern side of the Walter Pyramid - they saluted it 108 times. The LBC Yoga Mala took place on Saturday and lasted... Read more »

49ers Vote campaign comes up short of expectations

49ers Vote campaign comes up short of  expectations

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
October 24, 2012
Filed under News

Associated Students Inc.'s 49ers Vote Campaign ended Monday, having registered 2,835 less students than it aimed to. The voter registration campaign set a goal of registering at least 4,900 students to vote by the Oct. 22 deadline. Through the campaign, 2,065 students were registered,... Read more »

Third presidential debate winner earns split vote from students

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under News

Students packed into the Nugget Grill and Pub Monday night between classes and midterms to watch President Obama and Mitt Romney battle it out for the third and final time on national television. Sandy Woodruff, a junior communications major, said that she originally planned to go home until... Read more »

Professors volunteer to teach English across seas

Danielle Carson and Danielle Carson
October 18, 2012
Filed under News

Professors have been venturing outside of white-walled lecture halls to countries like Chile, India, Iran and Africa to teach English to other professors all over the globe. Universities worldwide have started teaching curriculum in English - either partially or entirely. Various reasons for... Read more »

Danielle Carson and Danielle Carson
October 18, 2012
Filed under News

CSU: faculty should use class time properly

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
October 3, 2012
Filed under News

Professors who have used class time to advocate, or even discuss, Proposition 30 are now being discouraged from mentioning the issue in class. Prop. 30 would increase personal income taxes on high-income taxpayers as well as sales taxes by a quarter of a cent temporarily. The new revenues... Read more »

CSULB adopts two new minors to become available in fall 2013

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach is opening its doors a little more to new branches of study by adding two new minors to its list: one in global migration and another in queer studies. The Academic Senate approved the minors at its meeting Thursday, and the minors are scheduled to become available for... Read more »

New minors expected to excite students

Danielle Carson, Assistant City Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under News

Student galleries find art in seagulls and paintball

Danielle Carson, Contributing Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The artists on the CSULB campus are a unique breed, which has never been more apparent than at the exhibits in the Fine Arts Student Galleries last week. The plain white spaces that are the galleries were embellished by the Grad students'... Read more »

Mi Casa, Mi Universidad in ‘transition’ phase

Danielle Carson, Contributing Writer
April 23, 2012
Filed under News

The five-year grant period that was funding Mi Casa, Mi Universidad, a project to help enrollment and graduation rates among Hispanic and Latino students, has expired, leaving the program in a transition period. Cal State Long Beach was designated as a Hispanic-serving institution (... Read more »

Seventh Street connector to re-open in April

Danielle Carson, Contributing Writer
April 16, 2012
Filed under News

The northbound I-405/westbound SR-22 Seventh Street connector will re-open by the end of this month, according to the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA). The bridge that links Cal State Long Beach to Orange County has been closed since last April but the 12-month project is in its... Read more »

Student overcomes poverty to graduate

Danielle Carson, Contributing Writer
April 1, 2012
Filed under News

Growing up, Tanisha Washington dreamed about pursuing a degree in higher education and moving out of Skid Row. Despite obstacles, she graduated from Cal State Long Beach in 2010 with a degree in computer science. "My mom was a... Read more »