Dirtbags attendance up 34.5 percent

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 8, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports

The ticket-takers and turnstiles at Blair Field are busier this year than they have been in the recent past. Nearly 400 more fans are attending Dirtbags games this year in comparison to last, according to data provided by the Long Beach State athletics department. That is a number that is making the... Read More »

Casper Ware to fulfill NBA dream

Casper Ware to fulfill NBA dream

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 24, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports

Just two weeks ago, Casper Ware was in Italy, playing for the Serie A team Virtus Bologna. Now he’s in Philadelphia, ready to make his NBA debut for the 76ers. The 76ers announced Monday that they had signed Ware to a 10-day contract, helping the former Long Beach State point guard fulfill a... Read More »

Former Long Beach State point guard Casper Ware signs with Philadelphia 76ers

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 24, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports

Former Long Beach State point guard Casper Ware has realized his NBA dream, as he signed a 10-day contract with the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday. After spending the majority of the last two years playing in Italy, Ware will return to the United States to join the 76ers, who have the second-worst record... Read More »

March Madness: what’s in your bracket?

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 17, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports, Uncategorized

It’s that time of year again. That time of year when even the most casual of sports fans go crazy over teams they’ve never heard of, when college basketball junkies try to figure out the formula to a perfect bracket. Why wouldn’t you? It’s fun, keeps you interested and this time perfection... Read More »

Long Beach State falls to Cal State Northridge in Big West Tournament semifinals

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 15, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team couldn’t escape the upset bug that infested this year’s Big West Tournament, losing to fifth-seeded Cal State Northridge in the semifinals. The 49ers (15-17) managed to come back from a deficit as large as 15 points in the first half, but CSUN (17-17)... Read More »

Long Beach State takes down Titans to advance in Big West Tournament

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 13, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team kept the upset bug away in its first-round Big West Tournament game, defeating sixth-seeded Cal State Fullerton, 66-56. A game earlier, No. 2 UC Santa Barbara was blown out by seventh-seeded Cal Poly, proving no team was safe at the Honda Center this weekend.... Read More »

‘Niners to start Big West tournament against Titans

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 12, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team has had four months, 30 games and dozens of practices to prepare for what’s coming this weekend: the last chance to advance to the NCAA tournament. When the 49ers take the court at the Honda Center on Thursday, they will start the Big West Tournament... Read More »

CLARK: Nick Shepherd can be a defensive weapon for LBSU

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 12, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports

In a nutshell, the career Nick Shepherd has had at Long Beach State has been defined by unrealized potential, false hype and unmet expectations. The 49ers faithful have caught glimpses of the talent that head coach Dan Monson once declared the future of the program, but never the consistent light... Read More »

49ers end season with much-needed win, will face CSUF in first round of Big West tournament

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 9, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team had an up-and-down weekend that started with a loss to Cal State Northridge but ended with a win over UC Riverside and a pairing with Cal State Fullerton in the first round of the Big West Tournament. The 49ers (14-16, 10-6 Big West) finished in third place... Read More »

49ers to play final games of regular season

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 5, 2014

Just two games remain in the regular season for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team: an away game at Cal State Northridge and the season finale against UC Riverside at home. Sitting at third place in the Big West Conference, the 49ers (13-15, 9-5 Big West) need to win at least one game this... Read More »

Former Athletics Director Dave O’Brien dies at 57

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 3, 2014
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Former Long Beach State Athletics Director Dave O’Brien died Saturday, losing a battle with cancer at the age of 57. O’Brien, served as athletics director from 1991-1996. During his time at the helm, the men’s basketball team made two NCAA tournament appearances, the baseball team made two College... Read More »

49ers’ weekend spoiled by loss to Cal State Fullerton

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 2, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team earned a dramatic win over Hawaii on Thursday, but the momentum didn’t carry over to Saturday, as the 49ers fell flat in a loss to Cal State Fullerton. The weekend started off on an exciting note for the 49ers (13-15, 9-5 Big West). After trailing for... Read More »

Hammonds wills Long Beach State to win over Hawaii

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 27, 2014

Some guys playing with a taped-up nose might choose to play it a little safer, a little more conservatively. Not Travis Hammonds. After being tended to on the court for a nose injury in the second half, Hammonds went all-out for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team Thursday night, making... Read More »

49ers focusing on defense against Hawaii, CSUF

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 26, 2014

Trailing by just one game in the Big West Conference standings, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team will try to stay in the regular season title race by beating Hawaii and Cal State Fullerton this weekend. The 49ers (12-14, 8-4 Big West) are one game behind UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara,... Read More »

A.J. Spencer has become a reliable starter at Long Beach State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 25, 2014

For most Long Beach State fans, almost everything about the week of March 20, 2013 was something they’d like to forget. Almost everything. That was the week the 49ers stumbled into Waco, Texas to face Baylor in the first round of the National Invitational Tournament. Fresh off of a loss in the... Read More »

‘Niners to head north for road game at UC Davis

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 19, 2014

The last time the Long Beach State men’s basketball team faced UC Davis, it scored 30 unanswered points to start the second half. While the chances of history repeating itself this weekend are slim, the 49ers will be playing UC Davis again on Thursday, this time up north in Davis, Calif. The... Read More »

CLARK: Branford Jones provides everything you want in a bench player

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 17, 2014

Thursday evening at the Walter Pyramid, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team was trailing UC Santa Barbara by 10 in the middle of the second half. It looked as if the 49ers were headed toward another double-digit loss at the hands of the Gauchos, who had already won the previous meeting by 13. Five... Read More »

Long Beach State rebounds from tough loss

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 16, 2014

After a heartbreaking loss to UC Santa Barbara on Thursday, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team came back with a strong effort to beat Cal Poly, 74-65. With soon-to-be LBSU president Jane Close Conoley in attendance, the 49ers (11-14, 7-4 Big West Conference) controlled the second half and... Read More »

49ers fall to UCSB on last-second layup

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 13, 2014

A comeback rally by the Long Beach State men’s basketball team was spoiled in the final second Thursday night, as a layup by UC Santa Barbara’s Michael Bryson at the buzzer beat the 49ers, 65-64. The 49ers did well to even make it close enough for a buzzer beater, though, as they trailed by as... Read More »

CLARK: 10 years since last Super Regional berth, the Dirtbags are struggling to return to college baseball’s elite

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 12, 2014

Ten years ago, Long Beach State headed into its season boasting a roster that included future major leaguers Jered Weaver, Troy Tulowitzki, Cesar Ramos and Jason Vargas. That team went on to win 41 games, finish 2nd in the Big West to Cal State Fullerton and upset No. 1 Stanford on its way to the NCAA... Read More »

Dirtbags’ pitchers working through injuries

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 12, 2014

For the second year in a row, questions linger about the Dirtbags’ pitching staff on Opening Day. Only this time, it’s not a matter of who will play — it’s when. A year ago, Long Beach State had to replace its entire weekend starting rotation. Everything worked out, though, as junior college... Read More »

‘Niners to host basketball rivals in UCSB

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 11, 2014

With its regular-season Big West Conference championship hopes dangling by a string, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team will take on UC Santa Barbara in a must-win home game. Trailing the Gauchos by half a game and UC Irvine by one game in the Big West standings, the 49ers (10-13, 6-3) no... Read More »

10 THINGS we learned from sports this weekend

Jason Clark , Sports Editor
February 10, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Sports

1. For the United States, the Sochi Olympics won’t be what Vancouver was. With Bode Miller failing to medal in the men’s downhill and Hannah Kearney settling for bronze in the women’s mogul, it’s clear that luck isn’t on the Americans’ side in the same way it was in Vancouver four years ago. 2.... Read More »

Anteaters eat away at 49ers’ Big West title hopes

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 9, 2014

IRVINE — For about 30 minutes, it looked like the Long Beach State men’s basketball team would hold on for a win over conference title favorite UC Irvine at the Anteaters’ Bren Events Center. The final 10 minutes didn’t go the 49ers’ way, though, and UCI erased a five-point deficit on its... Read More »

CLARK: Long Beach State is set up for success right off the bat

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 5, 2014
Filed under Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

The Long Beach State softball team has quietly become the most consistently good team on campus. The 49ers have finished in the top two of the Big West Conference three years in a row, and this year doesn’t figure to end up any differently. Ranked second in the Big West preseason coaches poll,... Read More »

49ers to travel to UC Irvine for crucial conference matchup

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 5, 2014

It doesn’t get much better than this in the Big West Conference. Tied for first place, rivals Long Beach State and UC Irvine will face off at Bren Events Center on Thursday. Both need a win to establish themselves as favorites to win the regular season conference title. “Our goal is to win... Read More »

49ers climb into first with wins over Hawaii, Cal State Fullerton

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 2, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team ended a long weekend in the best way it could: with a win over Cal State Fullerton. The 49ers took down their rivals Saturday, winning 75-56 in front of 3,762 fans on blackout night. Playing before an amped up student section dressed in blackout night... Read More »

Travis Hammonds triumphs despite tragedy

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 29, 2014

Sometimes, basketball is more than a game. Sometimes, it’s life – and not in the cliché sense that basketball is life for professional athletes. Sometimes, basketball is literally the difference between life and death. For Travis Hammonds, success on the court has led to safety off of it.... Read More »

Super Bowl Commentary: Seattle will prove that defense wins championships by slowing down Denver’s prolific offense

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 27, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Sports

If I were a betting man, I would not bet on this year’s Super Bowl. The Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks have such different strengths that the only way to know which is stronger is to play the game. For the purposes of today’s Daily 49er sports section, though, I’m going all in on the Seahawks.... Read More »

49ers honor Tark with win

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 26, 2014

With former head coach Jerry Tarkanian in attendance, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team got a key conference win over an athletic Cal State Northridge team Saturday at the Walter Pyramid. Dan Jennings provided a force in the paint, and Mike Caffey’s 23 points carried the 49ers offensively... Read More »

Tarkanian returns to Long Beach State for weekend visit

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 26, 2014

Jerry Tarkanian was only at Long Beach State for five years, but he set an immortal standard that to this day continues to be the benchmark of success at The Beach. That couldn’t have been more clear during halftime of Saturday’s men’s basketball game against Cal State Northridge. Tarkanian... Read More »

Tarkanian to visit as Long Beach State hosts CSUN

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 22, 2014

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team will try to build upon its road win over Cal Poly when it hosts Cal State Northridge this weekend, but before then, former 49er head coach Jerry Tarkanian will pay a visit to The Beach. Tarkanian, who was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall... Read More »

CLARK: 49er basketball teams aligning with expectations

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 21, 2014
Filed under Commentary, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports

In a way, Saturday’s men’s and women’s basketball games against Cal Poly were representative of how their seasons have gone. For the men, a close win was marked by inconsistency in the first half followed by a strong start and just good enough of a finish in the second half. For the women, a... Read More »

49ers rebound from loss at UCSB with win over Cal Poly

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 21, 2014

SAN LUIS OBISPO – Winter break has seen the Long Beach State men’s basketball team earn tough wins and struggle with inconsistency, but it ended on a good note Saturday at Cal Poly. Faced with the task of winning in an environment that no visiting Big West team had won in for more than a year,... Read More »

30-point run sparks 49ers to victory over UC Davis

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 11, 2014

It’s not often that a team scores 30 unanswered points to start a half, but that’s exactly what happened Saturday evening at the Walter Pyramid. The Long Beach State men’s basketball team defeated UC Davis, 99-74, thanks in large part to what happened over the first eight minutes of the second... Read More »

UC Irvine’s 7-foot-6 Ndiaye too tall of an order for LBSU offense in loss to Anteaters

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 10, 2014

Long Beach State’s home conference winning streak had to come to an end eventually, and it did in Thursday night’s Big West Conference opener against UC Irivne. Armed with a 7-foot-6 center and just enough shooters to score points, the Anteaters survived an up-and-down second half to defeat the... Read More »

Lamb’s scoring explosion helps 49ers defeat Montana State-Billings

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
December 21, 2013

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team almost fell victim to a massive upset, but thanks to another high-scoring performance by Tyler Lamb, such disappointment was avoided. After trailing by six at halftime, Lamb scored 24 second-half points to lead LBSU to an 82-75 win over Montana State-Billings. “Disappointing... Read More »

Tyler Lamb’s debut helps lead 49ers over USC to end losing streak

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
December 19, 2013

It took nearly six weeks, a new player, several heartbreaking losses and plenty of nervous moments, but the Long Beach State men’s basketball team finally has its second win. Sparked by the debut of UCLA transfer Tyler Lamb and a game-winning layup by Mike Caffey, the 49ers defeated Southern California,... Read More »

49ers hang tough, ultimately fall at North Carolina State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
December 8, 2013

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team lost its ninth straight game Saturday, this time in a 76-66 defeat at the hands of North Carolina State. Despite jumping out to an early lead and trailing by just one point with 12:40 left to play, the 49ers (1-9) were outlasted by the Wolfpack (6-2) and... Read More »

Creighton’s father-son duo next test for LBSU

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
December 2, 2013

Doug McDermott is in his final year at Creighton, where he has helped his father and head coach, Greg McDermott, make the Catholic-Jesuit school in Omaha, Neb., a household name. He has led the Bluejays to two straight NCAA tournaments and two straight Missouri Valley Conference titles, being named... Read More »

Seattle trip: double-overtime loss makes for sour Sunday departure

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
December 1, 2013
Filed under Behind the Pages, Blog, Commentary, Fanatic, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports

As I wait for my flight home out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, I can’t help but think of the opportunity that was missed with each missed free throw yesterday evening. If you haven’t heard by now, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team lost to Washington 92-89 in two overtimes... Read More »

Long Beach State endures two-overtime loss to Washington

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 30, 2013

SEATTLE - The closer the Long Beach State men’s basketball team gets to a win, the harder it is to lose. The 49ers lost their seventh straight game Saturday, falling to Washington 92-89 in a two-overtime thriller that saw LBSU have multiple chances to get their first win since Nov. 9. Even though... Read More »

Seattle trip: Focus shifts to basketball Saturday morning

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 30, 2013

I got up early this morning to join the team for their pregame shootaround, which meant I got to see the Washington campus for the first time. Well, part of it. The team bus only took us to the athletics portion of campus, but it spectacular... Read More »

Seattle trip: Friday reveals lack of fast food, sunshine

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 29, 2013

I’m in Seattle this weekend for Saturday’s Long Beach State men’s basketball game at Washington. I’m going to do my best to blog about it each day, maybe more than once if I find time. I’ll also be tweeting about it throughout the weekend at my personal Twitter: @jclark735. (Yes, that... Read More »

Sports: 11-26-13

Sports: 11-26-13

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 26, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Thanksgiving weekend stuffed with LBSU games

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 25, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

The 49ers will get a chance to enjoy Thanksgiving on Thursday, but they will return to action not long after. Here’s a look at each sport’s games this weekend. Men’s basketball at Washington Long Beach State (1-6) will look to end its six-game losing streak in Seattle on... Read More »

49ers go without a win in Puerto Rico

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 24, 2013

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team can’t seem to get a win, no matter if it’s on the United States mainland or in Puerto Rico. The 49ers lost to No. 14 Michigan, No. 10 Virginia Commonwealth and Kansas State this weekend in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. They have now lost six in a row since... Read More »

Sports: 11-20-13

Sports: 11-20-13

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 20, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

The Beach travels to Puerto Rico

The Beach travels to Puerto Rico

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 19, 2013

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team will play in its only nonconference tournament of the regular season this weekend when it joins seven other teams in San Juan, Puerto Rico for the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. The 49ers (1-3) will face Michigan on Thursday and either Florida State or Virginia Commonwealth... Read More »

Long Beach State falls to K-State in Spencer’s return trip home

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 17, 2013

Junior guard A.J. Spencer scored 13 points in his homecoming Sunday, but the Long Beach State men’s basketball team fell to Kansas State on the road, 71-58. Spencer made his first start of the season an hour away from his hometown of Shawnee, Kansas, and he made the most of it. The Hutchinson College... Read More »

Caffey scores 23, but key mistakes in final seconds lead LBSU loss

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 14, 2013

All it took was six seconds. That how long Loyola Marymount needed to erase a three-point Long Beach State lead and come back to defeat the 49ers 74-73 Thursday night at the Walter Pyramid. After going back and forth for most of the first half, the 49ers (1-2) led the Lions (3-0) all the way up... Read More »

49ers to host LMU before road trip

49ers to host LMU before road trip

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 13, 2013

The Puerto Rico Tip-Off is little more than a week away for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, but the flights for that trip will begin later this weekend. Following a home game against Loyola Marymount on Thursday, the 49ers (1-1) will fly to the Sunflower State for a game against Kansas... Read More »

Sports: 11-13-13

Sports: 11-13-13

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 13, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Jason Clark comes on the show to give the 411 on the beginning of the basketball season. He also talks about the new Long Beach State Athletics Hall of Fame inductees and gives his predictions on who might be immortalized by the organization in the future.

Men’s basketball team dominated in road loss to No. 6 Arizona

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 11, 2013

After the Long Beach State men’s basketball home opener Saturday, head coach Dan Monson said, “If they [the 49ers] can’t [get into rhthym] against Arizona, we’re in trouble.” They were in trouble. The 49ers shot just 5-for-35 from the field and made only one of their 14 attempts behind... Read More »

Long Beach State opens season with win over Hawaii-Pacific

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 10, 2013

In the words of Long Beach State head coach Dan Monson, it wasn’t perfect. It wasn’t even good. But it was good enough. The LBSU men’s basketball team showed the kind of issues to be expected from a team with three new starters in its season opener, but the 49ers went on to defeat Hawaii-Pacific... Read More »

BASKETBALL GUIDE: Q&A with Vic Cegles

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

Q: What are your thoughts on this year’s men’s basketball team? Cegles: I think this is a transitional year. We made some changes and we have seven new players, and I know that it takes a lot of time for everybody to get together in terms of learning how to play together, learning what their roles... Read More »

Long Beach State will be airborne for much of nonconference

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 6, 2013

Eighteen thousand, twenty-four miles. That’s approximately the amount that the Long Beach State men’s basketball team will travel during nonconference play this season. It isn’t the most in the country. Norfolk State in Virginia will make cross-country trips to Seattle and Hawaii for a nation-leading... Read More »

BASKETBALL GUIDE: Next step for Mike Caffey is growing as vocal leader

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 6, 2013

First-team All-Big West. Team leader in assists. Second in points only to a man drafted by the Miami Heat. The accomplishments go on and on for Long Beach State point guard Mike Caffey, who was a prized recruit before he even set foot on The Beach. The 6-foot junior emerged from Corona Centennial... Read More »

BASKETBALL GUIDE: Men’s basketball preview

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 6, 2013

To say that the 2013-14 season is a fresh start for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team would be an understatement. It’s been almost eight months since LBSU walked off the court at Baylor’s Ferrell Center, fresh off a 112-66 loss in the National Invitational Tournament that was one of... Read More »

BASKETBALL COUNTDOWN: Jade Wilson is 49ers’ lone senior

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

When Jade Wilson came to Long Beach State before the start of the 2012-13 season, the team had an introductory assignment: write down a couple of words that describe yourself on paper. Wilson wrote “outgoing and energetic.” Head coach Jody Wynn disagreed. “I would have described her as reserved... Read More »

CLARK: Winning is the simplest solution for Long Beach State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 29, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Sports, Women's Soccer, Women's Sports

We tried. We tried to give you a breakdown of all the different scenarios surrounding the final weekend of regular-season Big West women’s soccer. We tried to explain it, spell it out possibility by possibility in a way that was understandable. But after a few hours of relentlessly going over... Read More »

Men’s, women’s basketball teams picked to finish fourth in Big West

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 28, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

For the first time in years, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team won’t be going into the season with the pressure of high expectations. The 49ers were picked to finish fourth in the Big West Conference in the preseason media poll, the conference announced last week. LBSU received 164 points... Read More »

CLARK: a midseason look at LBSU’s fall sports teams

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 28, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Fall sports are immersed in conference play, and there are still plenty of questions left unanswered. Here’s what we’ve learned about Long Beach State’s fall sports teams so far. Women’s volleyball This was the year that the 49ers were supposed to return to the NCAA tournament... Read More »

49ers’ playoff hopes still alive despite loss to Matadors

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 27, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer, Women's Sports

Last year, a loss to Cal State Northridge prevented the Long Beach State women’s soccer team from making the Big West Conference tournament. It was the final game of the regular season, and the Matadors went on to win the conference and advance to the NCAA tournament. This year, the results are... Read More »

Bryon Russell among former 49ers at first men’s basketball alumni game

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 21, 2013

Midway through the first half of Long Beach State’s men’s basketball alumni game Saturday, former 49er Terrence O’Kelley yelled from the bench across the court at a player who had just missed a shot. “You’re making us look old!” Alumni from as far back as the early ’80s took the court... Read More »

CLARK: Parity is apparent after two weeks of conference play

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 15, 2013

Big West Conference women’s soccer has been in season for two weeks, and the standings aren’t what anyone would have expected. Three teams are tied for first place at 3-1. Neither of those teams are Cal State Fullerton or Long Beach State, which were picked to finish in first and second, respectively,... Read More »

Men’s basketball team trying trying to find groove

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 14, 2013

It’s been two weeks since head coach Dan Monson took to the Walter Pyramid floor with Mike Caffey, Dan Jennings and the rest of the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, and early indications are that chemistry is there, but the quality of play has plenty of room for improvement. “I do like... Read More »

Former LBSU water polo coach Ken Lindgren dies

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 13, 2013
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports, Sports News

Long Beach State water polo icon Ken Lindgren, who was the 49ers’ men’s water polo coach from 1975 to 1998, died Friday of a heart attack, according to LBSU Athletics. Lindgren played at The Beach in 1959 before starting a lengthy coaching career that included numerous stints with Team USA. He... Read More »

Women’s volleyball: 49ers end losing skid at UC Davis

Jason Clark, Daily 49er
October 13, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team hit the road in need of wins, and it finally got one. The 49ers (9-9, 2-3 Big West Conference) defeated UC Davis (10-8, 2-3 Big West) in four sets on Saturday after losing to first-place Cal State Northridge on Thursday. The road trip started with... Read More »

CLARK: Wild card playoff game is a much-needed step in the right direction

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 8, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Showcase, Sports

Major League Baseball is evolving. With the unbeatable popularity of the NFL conquering fans across the United States, the MLB has had to respond, and it has. It has addressed complaints about the quality of umpiring by gradually introducing more and more instant replay. Next year, replay will be... Read More »

Long Beach State to host No. 6 Hawaii

Long Beach State to host No. 6 Hawaii

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 2, 2013

It’s been almost a year since the Long Beach State and Hawaii women’s volleyball teams played a match for the ages in front of 2,466 at the Walter Pyramid. The two schools will meet again on Friday with 49ers looking to avenge last year’s 24-26, 34-32, 26-24 and 25-22 loss to the Rainbow Wahine,... Read More »

49ers can’t convert opportunities in 1-0 loss

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 1, 2013

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team saw its three-game winning streak come to an end Monday night with a 1-0 loss at San Diego. The 49ers (6-4) ended nonconference play with a rivalry match against the Toreros (7-4), who they had beaten each of the last three meetings dating back to 2011. A... Read More »

49ers split opening Big West road trip

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 29, 2013

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team opened Big West Conference play with a comeback victory at UC Santa Barbara on Friday but couldn’t keep the momentum going in a three-set loss to Cal Poly on Saturday. The 49ers (8-6, 1-1 Big West) started the weekend by losing two of three close sets... Read More »

LBSU to open Big West conference play at UCSB

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team will start the second half of its season this weekend when it begins Big West Conference play at UC Santa Barbara. The 49ers (7-6) will start its attempt to claim the conference title when it takes on the Gauchos and Cal Poly in road games this weekend.... Read More »

Long Beach State falls to No. 11 UCLA in five-set thriller

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 19, 2013

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team came within a point of defeating No. 11 UCLA four times, but the 49ers couldn’t close it out and fell to the Bruins in five sets. In a match that went into extra points in three of five sets, the 49ers lost 28-26, 28-30, 25-19, 22-25 and 14-16 against... Read More »

Behind the scenes of a Long Beach State volleyball tournament

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 17, 2013

It all starts with an email. It’s an email sent to every Division I women’s volleyball head coach in the country, inviting them to bring their teams to The Beach for one of the multiple tournaments Long Beach State hosts each year. LBSU women’s volleyball assistant coach Matt Ulmer, who arranges... Read More »

CLARK: Dominant wins were badly needed for LBSU women’s volleyball team

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 16, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Showcase, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

The coaching staff for the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team will be in much better spirits as it prepares for No. 11 UCLA this week thanks to a weekend of easy wins. As head coach Brian Gimmillaro put it, the 49ers “looked like us.” In other words, they finally started to play the way... Read More »

49ers jump back on track

49ers jump back on track

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 15, 2013

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team needed wins this weekend, and it got them. One week after losing two of three five-set matches at the Bay Area Challenge, the 49ers (5-4) made quick work of Loyola Marymount, College of Charleston and Seattle at the Long Beach State/LMU Tournament. “It’s... Read More »

Sports: 9-11-13

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Jason Clark comes back on the show to tweak his predictions on women's volleyball and soccer.

‘Tark the Shark’ enters basketball Hall of Fame

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 9, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports, Sports News

Armed with a walker, a creaky voice and decades of coaching experience, former Long Beach State men’s basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian walked to the center of the stage at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. in front of a standing ovation. Tarkanian, who is now 83... Read More »

Sports Preview: 9-4-13

Jason Clark and James Delahoussaye
September 4, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Jason Clark, Daily 49er's sports editor, came on the show to preview the CSULB women's soccer and volleyball seasons.

With first tests over, 49ers can look for wins this weekend

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 3, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Sports, Women's Soccer, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Both the Long Beach State women’s volleyball and women’s soccer teams took on ranked teams over the weekend, and after varying levels of success, they can look forward to facing softer opponents this weekend. All three of the schools the women’s volleyball team faced at the Long Beach State... Read More »

Cross country teams to begin seasons Saturday

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Cross Country, Women's Golf, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

The Long Beach State men’s and women’s cross country teams will look to hit the ground running when they begin their seasons at the Mark Covert Classic on Saturday morning. The 49ers will go to Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea, Calif., to test their new teams, which include 16 freshmen. The... Read More »

CLARK: LBSU will make the NCAAs with or without a Big West title

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Sports, Women's Volleyball

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team took a break from the NCAA tournament last season, but that break will be over soon enough. The 49ers will be in tough competition with No. 11 Hawaii for the Big West Conference title, but even if they lose that battle, they will have a good enough resume... Read More »

Vic Cegles talks start of new year, new seasons

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 28, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Long Beach State athletics director sat down with the Daily 49er to talk about the upcoming fall seasons, projects the athletics department is working on, and the change in administration. Q: Which team are you especially excited to see this year? Cegles: That’s... Read More »

Blair Field renovations aimed to begin in 2015

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 27, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Showcase, Sports, Sports News

The long-awaited renovations to Blair Field could be about 15 months away from starting, according to Long Beach State Athletics Director Vic Cegles. Cegles said the end of the 2015 Dirtbags season is the target for the start of the project, and that about $16 million still needs to be raised to fund... Read More »

CLARK: LBSU will experience some growing pains this year

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 26, 2013

It’s a common problem to have in college sports: key players graduate, leaving a multitude of holes in a starting lineup. That problem, however, is what keeps college sports interesting. It’s what prevents schools not named Alabama from reeling off championship after championship like the New York... Read More »

New faces on defense keep LBSU competitive in loss to Lumberjacks

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 26, 2013

Defense may win championships, but it apparently doesn’t win season openers. The Long Beach State women’s soccer team relied heavily upon a stout defense throughout its season-opening game against Northern Arizona, but it couldn’t provide offensive support in a 1-0 loss. The 49er backfield... Read More »

Long Beach State falls to Northern Arizona in season opener

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 23, 2013

... Read More »

LBSU announces 2013 Hall of Fame Induction class

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 18, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports, Sports News

Several big names will be among the nine members of the 2013 class of the Long Beach State Athletics Hall of Fame, including MLB All-Star Troy Tulowitzki and former football coach George Allen. Tulowitzki and Allen will be joined by former basketball coach Seth Greenberg, water polo record holder... Read More »

James Ennis signs with Australia’s Perth Wildcats

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 10, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports, Sports News

Former Long Beach State standout James Ennis has signed with the Perth Wildcats of Australia’s National Basketball League, the team announced Saturday.  Ennis’ rights still belong to the Miami Heat, however, and his contract includes an option to return to Miami... Read More »

CLARK: Despite losses, LBSU will still compete for a Big West title

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 7, 2013

In most cases, when a mid-major team loses an All-American forward and an NCAA All-West region defender in the same year, it earns them a one-way ticket to irrelevance. This is not most cases. The 49ers may have lost Nadia Link, Alex Balcer and five other seniors, but an incredible amount of depth... Read More »

Local little leaguers learn from Dirtbags at baseball camp

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 31, 2013
Filed under Showcase, Sports

Long Beach State baseball may have ended its season more than two months ago, but that doesn’t mean baseball has stopped at The Beach. Dirtbag Camp has kept America’s pastime alive at LBSU, as little leaguers have taken over the campus baseball field for most of the summer. Kids armed with bats... Read More »

CLARK: Braun is hopefully the beginning of the end

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 24, 2013

The steroid era was supposed to be over. It was supposed to have ended with Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Roger Clemens. The only traces of it were supposed to have been with veterans like Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez, who grew up in the prime of the steroid era. Sadly, none of what was supposed... Read More »

Former Long Beach State head coach Wuesthoff dies at 87

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 17, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports, Sports News

Bob Wuesthoff, a former Long Beach State baseball head coach and the co-founder of 49er Camp, died Friday after a long battle with illness at the age of 87. A member of the LBSU Athletics Hall of Fame, Wuesthoff coached the LBSU baseball team from 1964 to 1969. “The Long Beach State baseball... Read More »

49ers play in summer leagues

49ers play in summer leagues

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 10, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports

Long Beach State sports may not be in season, but current and former 49ers are still busy. James Ennis and Casper Ware are representing The Beach on the floor of Orlando’s Amway Center in the NBA summer league. Former Dirtbags are making their way through the minor leagues, and current Dirtbags... Read More »

Men’s basketball schedule released

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 4, 2013

After years of big-name matchups and high-profile nonconference games, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that the Long Beach State men’s basketball team has another loaded nonconference schedule. Among the 49ers’ opponents for the 2013-14 season are five teams that made the NCAA tournament.... Read More »

Ennis takes flight

Ennis takes flight

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 19, 2013

James Ennis, the reigning Big West Player of the Year and currently an NBA Draft prospect, still gets star-struck. The former Long Beach State guard/forward, who graduated this spring after putting together an impressive senior season for the 49ers, was working out for the Los Angeles Lakers when... Read More »

MLB needs to hand out steroid-related suspensions but can it?

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 12, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

A lot has been said about the Biogenesis scandal, the latest steroid scandal to rock Major League Baseball. Rumors have flown around saying that the MLB will seek 100-game suspensions for the 20 players listed in Biogenesis documents. Columnists across the country have called this potentially the... Read More »

CLARK: Make an exception and root for CSUF

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Commentary, Sports

There is only one circumstance during which a Long Beach State fan should root for the Titans of Cal State Fullerton. LBSU fans should only hope that their bitter rivals from inland Orange County win if a CSUF victory directly helps a 49er team’s chances at winning the Big West Conference or improving... Read More »

Athletics department: four 49ers will not return to men’s basketball team

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 22, 2013

The Long Beach State athletics department released the 2013-14 men’s basketball team roster, and, as expected, it was missing some familiar names. Keala King, Tony Freeland, Deng Deng and Kyle Richardson will not suit up for The Beach anymore, as their scholarships have not been renewed for 2013-14.... Read More »

Rivera’s 10th-inning single sends seniors off with sweep

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 19, 2013

The Dirtbags didn’t seem to want to leave Blair Field, as their final home game of the season went into extra innings, leading to a walk-off single by freshman Zack Rivera and a series sweep of UC Riverside on Senior Day. Long Beach State (28-25, 14-10 Big West Conference) scored two runs in the... Read More »

At least three players likely to be dismissed from men’s basketball team

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 17, 2013

At least three players, including two starters, are likely to be dismissed from the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, according to multiple sources. West Coast Hoops Report tweeted on May 9 that Deng Deng, Keala King and Tony Freeland had been dismissed from the team; however, Long Beach State... Read More »

Catching the drift

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 13, 2013

Eric Hutting crouched behind the plate late in a game against Loyola Marymount. He gave junior closer Jon Maciel a sign for the pitch: a fastball on the inner part of the plate. Maciel worked through his windup, drew his arm back and slung the ball toward Hutting’s mitt. It got there, but it didn’t... Read More »

Long Beach State wins series over Hawaii

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 13, 2013

The Dirtbags may not have a shot to win the Big West Conference championship, but that hasn’t kept them from winning. Long Beach State (24-25, 11-10 Big West) took two of three from visiting Hawaii (12-33, 7-14 Big West) this weekend at Blair Field, inching back to .500 overall in a tough series. “It... Read More »

Dirtbags swept by Fullerton for second time this year

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 5, 2013

The Dirtbags went into Goodwin Field looking to make up ground in the Big West Conference, but they left buried in the conference standings after a sweep at the hands of first-place Cal State Fullerton. Long Beach State (21-24, 9-9 Big West) fell to sixth in the Big West while No. 4 CSUF (39-7, 15-3... Read More »

Dirtbags to take on Cal State Fullerton in crucial series

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 1, 2013

The Dirtbags will head to Fullerton this weekend for a series that will play a large part in determining their chances to win a Big West Conference title. Long Beach State (21-21, 9-6 Big West) will play first-place Cal State Fullerton in three games this weekend. By the end of it, the Dirtbags will... Read More »

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 1, 2013

The Dirtbags will head to Fullerton this weekend for a series that will play a large part in determining their chances to win a Big West Conference title. Long Beach State (21-21, 9-6 Big West) will play first-place Cal State Fullerton in three... Read More »

Long Beach State beats Lions to get back to .500

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Track & Field

The Dirtbags returned to .500 for the first time in nearly two months thanks to contributions from a couple of the more overlooked players on the Long Beach State roster. Ryan Millison... Read More »

CLARK: In a battle of even teams, LBSU should have gotten the NCAA tournament bid

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 30, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

It seems that the oft-criticized NCAA may be lacking more common sense than we originally thought. A three-person selection committee made its picks for the four-team NCAA men's volleyball tournament Sunday afternoon and decided to give No. 3 UC Irvine the at-large bid over No. 2 Long Beach... Read More »

Avila’s slam ends grand weekend for Long Beach State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 28, 2013

It's not often that an outfielder turns around to watch a home run ball clear the fence at Blair Field. But that's exactly what happened at the Dirtbags game Sunday afternoon, when third baseman Juan Avila crushed a no-doubt grand slam... Read More »

Gimmillaro earns contract extension

Gimmillaro earns contract extension

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports News, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Long Beach State women's volleyball coach Brian Gimmillaro has agreed to a contract extension through 2018, athletic director Vic Cegles announced today. ... Read More »

Dirtbags crush No. 9 UCLA on the road

Dirtbags crush No. 9 UCLA on the road

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 24, 2013

LOS ANGELES - The Dirtbags cruised to an 11-1 road win over No. 9 UCLA last night, going wild on a Bruins pitching staff that hadn't given up more than seven runs in a game all year. Long Beach State (18-20) had one of its best offensive... Read More »

CLARK: Men’s volleyball is making up for a tough year at LBSU

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 21, 2013

It's been a tough year at Long Beach State. The athletic success of 2011-12 hasn't carried over to 2012-13, but the expectations have led to disappointing finishes in just about every sport. The women's soccer team followed up a Big West Conference title and elite eight appearance in the NCAA... Read More »

Notes: Peterson makes MLB debut

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 17, 2013

Shane Peterson makes MLB debut Former Dirtbag Shane Peterson, who played first base, outfield and pitched for Long Beach State from 2006 to 2008, made his major league debut with the Oakland Athletics yesterday. Peterson played first base and struck out in his first at-bat.... Read More »

CLARK: Success of Dirtbags’ season will come down to results in road games

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 16, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Commentary, Men's Sports, Sports

Big West Conference play is still in its early stages, but one thing is already abundantly clear: the Dirtbags will need to win on the road to stay in contention. Long Beach State (16-18, 6-3 Big West) is coming off a three-game sweep of UC Davis, which is the only Big West team that is still... Read More »

Hot bats lead Dirtbags to sweep of UC Davis

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 14, 2013

Just when it looked like things were falling apart for the Dirtbags, they put it back together. After losing a series to Pacific for the first time in the century last weekend, Long Beach State got back in the Big West Conference title... Read More »

Dirtbags walk away with win after walk-off walk in 11th

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 10, 2013

The Dirtbags have had their share of close games this year, but none have gone to extra innings. It might be something they'd like to try more often. After erasing a 3-0 deficit in the ninth inning, Long Beach State went to the... Read More »

Dirtbags’ comeback erased by walk-off home run

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
April 7, 2013

The Dirtbags fell far short of the sweep they needed over Pacific, as they lost two of three to the Tigers, the last of which came at the mercy of a walk-off home run. Long Beach State's conference title hopes may have disappeared with... Read More »

Bats come alive in series win over CSUN

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 31, 2013

The Dirtbags overcame an opening loss to Cal State Northridge and won their first series of Big West Confernece play behind some of their best hitting of the season. Long Beach... Read More »

Ready or not, Big West play is here

Ready or not, Big West play is here

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 27, 2013

With Big West Conference play coming up, the Dirtbags are still trying to figure out what kind of team they will be this year. Are they the team that was leading Cal State Fullerton by four in the seventh inning on Saturday? Or are they... Read More »

CLARK: Next year can’t come quickly enough for LBSU basketball

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 26, 2013

The last time the Long Beach State men's basketball team was on the court, it was enduring a 112-66 blowout at the hands of Baylor. That's an ugly way to end a season that began with a lot of promise. Despite having to replace 80 percent of their starting lineup, the 49ers were expected... Read More »

Dirtbags swept by No. 8 Cal State Fullerton

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 24, 2013

After a three-game series against rival Cal State Fullerton, it's clear that the Dirtbags are still a few steps behind the Big West Conference's team to beat. Long Beach State (9-14) found all sorts of ways to lose in a sweep at the... Read More »

Dirtbags shut out by Cal State Fullerton in series opener

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 23, 2013

The last time the Dirtbags faced Cal State Fullerton, the Titans took a 5-1 victory to clinch the 2012 Big West Conference title. In the first meeting between the teams this year, the faces were different, but the results were the same. Freshman pitcher Thomas Eshelman threw seven shutout... Read More »

The World Baseball Classic pales in comparison to the World Cup

Jason Clark
March 18, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Those who knock the World Baseball Classic for being an event that nobody cares about are right. Well, mostly. People in Japan apparently followed the event in huge numbers, breaking multiple TV rating records, and the players always seemed invested in it. It was just everybody... Read More »

CLARK: There is plenty of blame to go around, but it shouldn’t be placed on Ennis

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 18, 2013

At the postgame press conference following Long Beach State's 67-60 loss to UC Irvine in the semifinals of the Big West tournament, senior guard James Ennis sat with his head resting on his hand, his eyes pointed straight down at the table in front of him. Ennis stayed like that for three... Read More »

Dirtbags end losing streak with sweep

Dirtbags end losing streak with sweep

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 18, 2013

After enduring a six-game losing streak, the Dirtbags needed a fresh start. They got one. Long Beach State (9-11) actually got a pair of good starts, as starting pitchers Shane Carle and Jake Stassi... Read More »

Dirtbags’ struggles continue in loss to Loyola Marymount

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 13, 2013

LOS ANGELES - The month of March wasn't kind to the Dirtbags in 2012, and after another loss this year it appears that the trend hasn't gone away. Long Beach State (6-11) lost its sixth straight game in a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Loyola Marymount in a road contest Tuesday afternoon. The... Read More »

CLARK: ‘Niners must solve recent issues to win the Big West tournament

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 12, 2013

Yesterday afternoon, Long Beach State head coach Dan Monson was sitting in his office, his hand grasping the remote control to his flat-screen TV. He had just been named Big West Coach of the Year for the third time and senior star James Ennis had just won Player of the Year honors, but you wouldn't... Read More »

James Ennis wins Big West Player of the Year, Dan Monson wins Coach of the Year

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 11, 2013

The Big West Conference Player of the Year Award will stay at Long Beach State for a third consecutive year, as senior guard/forward James Ennis followed up Casper Ware's two player of the year awards with one of his own. LBSU head coach... Read More »

49ers end regular season in fifth place

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 10, 2013

The Long Beach State women's basketball team will head into the Big West Conference tournament as the fifth seed after splitting the final two games of its regular season. The 49ers (16-14, 9-9 Big West) fell 59-50 at ... Read More »

Long Beach State loses to No. 7 UCLA in late-inning thriller

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 6, 2013

In a marathon of a game that lasted longer than four hours, the Dirtbags suffered a 3-2 loss to No. 7 UCLA that saw the winning run scored in the ninth inning. Long Beach State (6-7) fell below .500 despite outhitting the Bruins seven to five and striking out 11 opposing batters. "I... Read More »

Dirtbags disappoint in series loss to Seattle

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
March 3, 2013

After the Dirtbags swept Valparaiso in their first home series of the season last weekend, it seemed that Blair Field would be the home of many positive results for Long Beach State's baseball team. That wasn't the case this weekend. ... Read More »

Walks, missed opportunities plague Dirtbags in close loss to Trojans

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
February 27, 2013

LOS ANGELES - In a game that was much less of a pitcher's duel than the score suggests, the Long Beach State baseball team suffered a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Southern California at Dedeaux Field on Tuesday night. The Dirtbags (5-4) walked five USC batters and hit three, while giving up... Read More »

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
February 27, 2013

CLARK: Pitchers and freshmen are playing big roles in Dirtbags’ success

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 25, 2013

Arguably the biggest question mark going into the Dirtbags' 2013 season was how head coach Troy Buckley would deal with the complete turnover of his starting rotation. Three starting pitchers from last year's staff, including All-Big West selection and MLB draft pick Shawn Stuart, either graduated... Read More »

Shutout seals sweep for Dirtbags

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 24, 2013

In the first start of pitcher Jon Maciel's career, the Dirtbag's former set-up man gave up 10 runs in five innings at No. 2 Vanderbilt. In the second start of his career, ... Read More »

Dirtbags win with defense, without Buckley

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 23, 2013

The Dirtbags clinched their first series win of the season with a 3-2 victory over visiting Valparaiso that featured the ejection of head coach Troy Buckley. Long Beach State (4-3) got above .500 for the first time this season thanks to a stellar defensive performance by shortstop Michael... Read More »

Strong pitching and clutch hitting wins series opener for Dirtbags

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 23, 2013

In their first game of the season against a team not ranked in the top 10, the Dirtbags cruised to a 7-2 victory over Valparaiso at Blair Field. The LBSU bats were hot early, as The Beach (3-3) started by getting its first four runners on base. Designated hitter Ino Patron had the honors of... Read More »

Dirtbags split series with Arizona despite weather

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 21, 2013

The Dirtbags won a wet, rain-suspended home opener over No. 10 Arizona before falling to the Wildcats in a low-scoring affair Wednesday evening. Long Beach State (3-2) pulled off the 5-4 upset in Tuesday's opener despite committing three... Read More »

Dirtbags close out season-opening series at No. 2 Vanderbilt with win

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 17, 2013

After suffering 10-4 and 12-2 losses to No. 2 Vanderbilt on the road, the Dirtbags looked as if they wouldn't have much to be happy about after their opening series. Long Beach State found some offense of its own in the series finale, however, and it upset the Commodores 13-9 and gave itself... Read More »

Taking it one game at a time

Taking it one game at a time

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 7, 2013

The top video on the results page of a YouTube search for Jeff McNeil shows the Long Beach State second baseman hitting an inside-the-park home run during a summer league game. A few results later, there is a clip of McNeil stealing home during a 2011 California Collegiate League game. Another... Read More »

Dirtbags baseball season preview

Dirtbags baseball season preview

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 7, 2013

Nine months ago, the Long Beach State baseball team entered the last game of its season with a chance to move on to the NCAA tournament; all that was required was a win over rival Cal State Fullerton. Long Beach State rode the arm of ace pitcher Shawn Stuart for six shutout innings before... Read More »

ESPNU announces BracketBuster game

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
February 5, 2013

Four months into its season, the Long Beach State men's basketball team finally has a complete schedule. ESPNU announced that the 49ers would face Stephen F. Austin as a part of the Ramada Worldwide BracketBuster series. The teams will play on Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid. Stephen... Read More »

CLARK: Monson finding temporary stars in transfers

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 22, 2013

Dan Monson has found a solution to the graduation of his core four from last year in a trio of transfers: Dan Jennings, Keala King and Tony Freeland. A... Read More »

Men’s volleyball wins home opener against Hawaii

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 20, 2013
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

The ninth-ranked Long Beach State men's volleyball team won a seesaw match with Hawaii in its home opener Friday night and followed it up with a dominating victory in a rematch on Saturday. The Beach (5-2, 3-1 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) cruised to an opening-set victory before splitting... Read More »

Baseball’s Hall of Fame was right to not induct steroid users

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 20, 2013
Filed under Opinions

The first wave of steroid users became eligible for baseball's Hall of Fame this year, and the Baseball Writers Association of America made the right decision by not inducting any of them. Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were all passed over in spite of their statistical achievements... Read More »

Women’s basketball: 49ers come from behind to defeat Cal State Fullerton

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 19, 2013

After being on the losing end of a close contest with UC Riverside two days ago, the Long Beach State women's basketball team took the win in a game against Cal State Fullerton that once again came down to the wire. The 49ers came back from a deficit that was once as large as 12 points, but... Read More »

CLARK: What San Diego State’s return to the Mountain West means for LBSU and the Big West

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 16, 2013
Filed under Commentary, Sports

Long Beach State fans can breathe a sigh of relief - the 49ers will continue to win conference titles. San Diego State, which fields teams ranked nationally across multiple sports, will reportedly rejoin the Mountain West Conference after... Read More »

Former UCLA guard Tyler Lamb to transfer to Long Beach State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
January 11, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports News

The Long Beach State men's basketball team, which is currently getting the majority of its contributions from transfers, will add yet another star transfer in former UCLA guard Tyler Lamb next season. Lamb, a former four-star recruit out of Santa Ana Mater Dei High School, ... Read More »

Pappageorge leads LBSU over Bulldogs

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 25, 2012

The 49ers ended a three-game losing streak thanks to Peter Pappageorge's career-high 23 points. LBSU (2-3) took advantage... Read More »

USC should keep head coach Lane Kiffin after a dismal season

Jason Clark
November 25, 2012
Filed under Opinions

On Aug. 18, Univeristy of Southern California sat at No. 1 in the Associated Press media poll. It had the Heisman frontrunner as its quarterback, Matt Barkley, and the best... Read More »

CLARK: LBSU close to becoming elite mid-major

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
November 20, 2012

On Friday night, when the Long Beach State men's basketball team took on No. 11 North Carolina, the record for attendance at the Walter Pyramid was shattered. Nearly 7,000 people showed up for the game, which broke the previous record by more than 1,000. Those numbers look good on their own,... Read More »

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
November 20, 2012

CLARK: LBSU fans will be saying UNC-le

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 14, 2012

Long Beach State fans who are hoping to see a competitive game between the 49ers and No. 11 North Carolina on Friday should keep their expectations low. They may be about to see the ugliest LBSU... Read More »

Long Beach State eliminated in first round of NCAA tournament

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 10, 2012

The sight of Long Beach State women's soccer players walking off the field with tears in their eyes has become unusually common this year, but the tears cried following the 49ers' 2-1 loss to Santa Clara in the first round of the NCAA tournament... Read More »

Caffey, Ennis leading LBSU by example

Caffey, Ennis leading LBSU by example

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 8, 2012

For four years, Casper Ware, Larry Anderson, T.J. Robinson and Eugene Phelps were regulars on the basketball court at the Walter Pyramid. Now, for the first time since 2008, the core four that led Long Beach State to a Big West Conference championship and NCAA tournament appearance in 2012... Read More »

Women’s soccer headed to NCAA tournament

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
November 5, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

The NCAA didn't allow for much tension or suspense to build up Monday afternoon at the Walter Pyramid, where members of the Long Beach State women's soccer team gathered to learn the fate of their season. Just a few minutes into the NCAA selection show, the 49ers... Read More »

Link earns Big West Offensive Player of the the Year Award

Link earns Big West Offensive Player of  the the Year Award

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
October 31, 2012

Senior forward Nadia Link earned her second consecutive Big West Conference Offensive Player of the Year award and joined four teammates as an All-Big West selection. Link, who scored eight goals for the 49ers this season, led the Big West... Read More »

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
October 31, 2012

LBSU men picked to win Big West, women to finish fifth

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Men's Cross Country, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

Men's basketball projected to finish first in Big West Conference According to 13 members of the Big West's media panel, the Long Beach State men's basketball team will repeat as conference champions in 2013. The 49ers... Read More »

‘Niners lose game and playoff spot to CSUN

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 28, 2012

Senior Day smiles turned to frowns following what may have been the Long Beach State women's soccer team's most heartbreaking loss of the season. After being held scoreless for 103 minutes, the 49ers (12-7, 5-4 Big West Conference) allowed a controversial goal in double overtime and lost to... Read More »

Alex Rodriguez’s playoff performance will not lead to a relocation

Jason Clark
October 24, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Alex Rodriguez, the often-criticized third baseman for the New York Yankees, just finished up another dazzling postseason campaign in which he hit .318, clubbed 3 home runs and accumulated 5 clutch RBIs. Not really. That was back-up outfielder... Read More »

Basketball: New ticket plan and TV schedule released

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 23, 2012

Basketball season is approaching quickly, and the ways through which fans can watch the Long Beach State men's basketball team are growing. The LBSU athletics department released a mini-plan ticket package on Monday that will allow spectators... Read More »

49ers’ playoff hopes on life support

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 22, 2012

With two games remaining in its regular season, the Long Beach State women's soccer team is in an unexpectedly uncomfortable position thanks to some disappointing finishes during Big West Conference play. The team that was ranked as highly as 11th in the nation earlier in the year is now on... Read More »

Eileen Maes making most of transfer to Long Beach State

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 17, 2012

Eileen Maes scored her first goal as a 49er in late August, when she headed a Jordan Nelson free kick into the back of the net and led Long Beach State to victory over Baylor. It was just... Read More »

Meyers and Maes lead 49ers to NorCal sweep

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 15, 2012

Thanks to a pair of shutouts by goalkeeper Marrina Meyers and a pair of goals by midfielder Eileen Maes, the Long Beach State women's soccer team will enter its next match as the third-place... Read More »

Big streak ends with loss to Fullerton

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
October 14, 2012

Nothing lasts forever. The Long Beach State women's volleyball team learned this the hard way Saturday night when its 59-game winning streak against rival Cal State Fullerton came to a screeching halt at the Titan Gym. The Beach (10-9, 5-3 Big West Conference) was overpowered during... Read More »

Long Beach State shooting for undefeated weekend in NorCal

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 9, 2012

The Long Beach State women's soccer team will make a northern California swing this weekend to play a pair of games that have huge implications for the Big West Conference race. The 49ers (9-5, 2-2 Big West) are a surprising sixth in the... Read More »

‘Niners suffer first home loss in critical Big West matchup

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 7, 2012

In a game between the Big West Conference favorites and the Big West leaders, the favorites showed for 70 minutes why they were supposed to win. The rest of the time, the leaders proved that hype isn't everything. After opening up a 2-0 first-half lead on Cal Poly, the Long Beach State... Read More »

Dirtbags load bases with difficult nonconference schedule

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 2, 2012

In typical Long Beach State fashion, the Dirtbags will take on a challenging nonconference schedule before entering yet another season of competitive Big West Conference play. Head coach Troy... Read More »

49ers sunk by Titanic blow

49ers sunk by Titanic blow

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
October 1, 2012

About an hour after the Long Beach State women's soccer team fell 2-1 to rival Cal State Fullerton, CSUF athletics tweeted, "There are few wins sweeter than ones against the 49ers." After seeing the looks on the faces of the defeated ... Read More »

Long Beach State enters conference play with nation’s seventh-best RPI

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 25, 2012

The Long Beach State women's soccer team has endured its toughest matches of the season and will begin Big West Conference play ranked among the best in collegiate soccer. Following a 1-0 defeat of San Diego in their final nonconference game, the 49ers... Read More »

Tennis season begins as two 49ers win Player of the Week honors

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 24, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

As Long Beach State transitions from nonconference play to Big West Conference play in several sports, the women's tennis team is just getting started and several players are earning recognition for their outstanding efforts this weekend. Tennis The ... Read More »

LBSU ends nonconference play with shutout of San Diego

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 22, 2012

After spending two weekends on the road, the 49ers returned home to face their rivals, the San Diego Toreros. And what a homecoming it was. Competing in front of a season-high 808 spectators, No. 22 Long Beach State (7-3) played suffocating defense and got a late goal from freshman... Read More »

San Diego to visit Long Beach State in annual rivalry match

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 18, 2012

It has been 304 days since the 22nd-ranked Long Beach State women's soccer team defeated San Diego in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament. That's 304 days of reminiscing on the 49er... Read More »

LBSU defeats Army but loses heartbreaker to Texas Tech

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 16, 2012

After Sunday's 2-0 win over Army in the Under Armour Invitational in Fullerton, more than a few Long Beach State women's soccer players had ice applied to their limbs. The ice had several purposes ­- it provided quick relief from the triple-digit heat; it was a temporary cure for a few of... Read More »

Link is 49ers’ lone star in Texas

Link is 49ers’ lone star in Texas

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 10, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Sports

When the Long Beach State women's soccer team traveled to the Lone Star State over the weekend, it found that everything - the crowds, the losses, the victories - is bigger in Texas. After enduring a 3-0 beatdown to Texas A&M in front... Read More »

LBSU to play nationally televised game at Texas A&M

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 4, 2012

After a rollercoaster weekend, No. 16 Long Beach State will travel to Texas, where it will face No. 14 Texas A&M in a nationally-televised matchup Friday night. The 49ers (4-1) dropped five spots in the National Soccer Coaches Association... Read More »

49ers’ late comeback sparks yet another dramatic home victory

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
September 3, 2012

Long Beach State may not field a football team, but any excitement lost by a lack of pigskin pride has been more than made up for by its 11th-ranked women's soccer team. Forward Nadia Link and midfielder Kelsey Wilson each scored... Read More »

Pimp my locker room

Pimp my locker room

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 30, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

A palm tree-themed court in the center of the Walter Pyramid has been generating buzz and excitement across the Cal State Long Beach campus and the Internet, but the renovated locker rooms hidden behind the bleachers may be more impressive. Featuring cabinet- and safe-laden lockers, a film... Read More »

No. 11 LBSU women’s soccer ready for tough road test

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 28, 2012

The 11th-ranked Long Beach State women's soccer team will head to Brigham Young University for its first road game of the season before returning home for a Sunday matchup with Michigan. The 49ers... Read More »

No. 15 Long Beach State wins another overtime thriller

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 26, 2012

The 15th-ranked Long Beach State women's soccer team has gone to overtime twice in its first three games and emerged victorious both times. Midfielder Eileen Maes scored the golden... Read More »

LBSU continues hot start with win over St. Francis

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 25, 2012

The 15th-ranked Long Beach State women's soccer team backed up its highest national ranking in school history with an easy 2-0 win over Saint Francis Friday night at George Allen Field. The 49ers... Read More »

First win is golden for 49ers

First win is golden for 49ers

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 18, 2012

The Long Beach State women's soccer team opened its season in dramatic fashion by beating Arizona 2-1 in overtime thanks to a golden goal by forward Ashley Roese. Assisted by midfielder Eileen Maes,... Read More »

Long Beach State alums earn three medals at Olympics

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 16, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Three former 49er volleyball stars earned Olympic medals in London, including Misty May-Treanor, Tayyiba ... Read More »

LBSU women’s soccer to open season against Arizona

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 16, 2012

The Long Beach State women's soccer team will begin its Big West title defense Friday night against Arizona at George Allen Field, where it hosted a 1-1 draw with San Diego State last Friday. Junior Chyann ... Read More »

ESPN to give LBSU national coverage

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 9, 2012

Thanks to a conference title and a berth in the 2011 NCAA tournament, the Long Beach State men's basketball team will appear on ESPN networks three times this year. The 49ers' Jan. 30 matchup with UC... Read More »

Women’s soccer set to kick off new season

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 9, 2012

The Long Beach State women's soccer team will take the field for the first time on Friday, and it will do so as the 18th-ranked team in the country and the top-ranked team in the Big West Conference. The ... Read More »

Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings claim third Olympic gold

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 8, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings are gold medalists for a third consecutive Olympics. In an All-American final, the former Long Beach State star and her longtime partner on the sand defeated April Ross and Jennifer ... Read More »

49er alums have only brought success at the Olympics so far

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
August 1, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Long Beach State has a total of 11 athletes and coaches competing in the 2012 Olympics, and so far, not a single one has recorded a loss for their country. Ex-LBSU star Misty May-Treanor and her partner Kerri Walsh are undefeated in three beach volleyball matches, five former 49ers have contributed... Read More »

Celebrating 40 years of Title IX

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 25, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News, Women's Sports

The language of Title IX does not include any mention of sports. It does not include any mention of women. It does not include any mention of athletics, the NCAA or any other athletic institution. But sports, women and the NCAA are what Title IX it is all about. It is also something that Long... Read More »

BOT approves pay raises for 3 CSU presidents, discusses cuts

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 19, 2012
Filed under News

The Cal State University Board of Trustees approved pay raises for three of four incoming campus presidents during Tuesday's meeting at the CSU Chancellor's Office in Long Beach. The Board also discussed possible tuition hikes, enrollment cuts and reductions in faculty and staff payroll as... Read More »

Ware finishes summer league stint as Anderson begins

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
July 18, 2012

As Casper Ware wraps up his pursuit of an NBA contract, Larry Anderson is just starting his. Ware, a 5'10" point guard who led Long Beach State in points last year, had an unimpressive week with the Pistons at the Orlando Summer League. He played limited minutes and shot less than 25 percent... Read More »

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
July 18, 2012

Men’s basketball schedule released

Men’s basketball schedule released

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 3, 2012

The Long Beach State men's basketball team faced one of the toughest schedules in the nation last year, and this year won't be any different. Headlining the 49ers' schedule is a home matchup with North Carolina on November 16. Also on... Read More »

Major League Baseball’s All-Star Game lineups are flawed

Jason Clark
July 3, 2012
Filed under Opinions

The rosters for Major League Baseball's annual All-Star Game were released last weekend, and as always, they raised some eyebrows and provoked some intense head scratching. Some mistakes were the fault of the fans (Pablo Sandoval over David Wright), some were the fault of the players... Read More »

Casper Ware joining Pistons for the summer

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
July 1, 2012

Casper Ware wasn't in New Jersey for the NBA Draft like No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis. He wasn't with friends and family watching from a pizza parlor like 21st overall pick Jared Sullinger. In... Read More »

LBSU track and field team well-represented at Olympic trials

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 27, 2012
Filed under Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Sports, Sports News

Eugene, Ore. is the birthplace of Nike, the home of the University of Oregon and every four years, it becomes a track and field Mecca. The Olympic trials are being held at Oregon's Hayward Field for the fifth time, and a couple of Long Beach State athletes have made the trip. Ben Woodruff... Read More »

Casper Ware preparing for NBA Draft

Casper Ware preparing for NBA Draft

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 20, 2012

Casper Ware's ESPN draft profile describes him as a "super quick scoring guard" who is an "excellent ball handler" with an "unlimited shooting range." Despite this praise, he is ranked as only the 9th-best point guard and the ... Read More »

Three Dirtbags taken in MLB Draft

Three Dirtbags taken in MLB Draft

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
June 13, 2012

Three Long Beach State baseball players heard their names called in this year's MLB First-Year Player Draft, including shortstop Matt Duffy, outfielder Brennan Metzger and pitcher Shawn Stuart. Duffy and Metzger were each drafted by the San Francisco Giants, going in the 18th and 22nd rounds,... Read More »

LBSU wins second straight Commissioner’s Cup

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
June 2, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Long Beach State won its second consecutive Commissioner's Cup, the award given to the highest-performing athletic department in the Big West Conference. Championships in Men's Basketball, Softball, Women's Tennis and Women's Volleyball contributed greatly to a record-setting points average... Read More »

Jason Clark and Jason Clark
June 2, 2012
Filed under Sports, Sports News

Washington Nationals pitcher needs to pitch the rest of season

Jason Clark
May 21, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Washington Nationals phenom, Stephen Strasburg, may be one of the best pitchers in baseball. He may also be the only one to finish the season early, and not because of injury or poor performance.  Strasburg, a former No. 1 pick out of San Diego State, is in the middle of his first... Read More »

Jason Clark
May 20, 2012
Filed under Commentary, Opinions

Washington Nationals phenom, Stephen Strasburg, may be one of the best pitchers in baseball. He may also be the only one to finish the season early,... Read More »

LBSU falls in regionals

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 20, 2012

The Long Beach State softball team endured a weekend of exhilaration and heartbreak in Tempe, where it concluded its season in the NCAA Regionals. After a 4-2 loss to Syracuse on Friday, the 49ers (29-25, 16-5 Big West Conference) found... Read More »

‘Niners take Big West

Jason Clark, Sports Editor
May 15, 2012

The Long Beach State softball team beat Pacific and won its first Big West title since 2008 in front of a home crowd Saturday afternoon. Sarah Carrasco's three-run home run in the fourth inning was all the... Read More »

OBAMA: Same-sex marriage should be legal

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
May 10, 2012
Filed under News

President Barack Obama declared his support for gay marriage for the first time yesterday, and the reactions have been as varied as they have been abundant at Cal State Long Beach. "I've just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex... Read More »

Petty relishes time in the circle

Petty relishes time in the circle

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
May 1, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

No regrets? Check. Just have fun? Always. Go out with a bang? Working on it. Every time Taylor Petty steps into the circle for the Long Beach State softball team, these are the things she works to accomplish before her senior season concludes. Petty, a communications major who plans... Read More »

49ers sweep UCR

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
May 1, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

Erin Jones-Wesley led the Long Beach State softball team with a pair of two-hit, complete-game shutouts as the 'Niners swept UC Riverside 10-4, 1-0 and 6-0 over the weekend. The dominant weekend put the 49ers (23-22, 11-4 Big West Conference) over .500 for the first time since February... Read More »

Psych Day offers feedback on student projects

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
April 26, 2012
Filed under News

Hundreds of students and faculty gathered in the psychology quad yesterday for the department's annual Psych Day, where students could get information on a myriad of topics, such as possible careers and a future in graduate school. "Psych Day is an opportunity for students to share what they've... Read More »

‘Niners take two of three from Davis

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
April 17, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team took two of three from UC Davis this past weekend, thanks to strong pitching performances from starters senior Taylor Petty and sophomore Erin Jones-Wesley. The 49ers (18-21, 6-3 Big West) swept a Saturday... Read More »

Students march for workers’ rights

Students march for workers’ rights

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
April 12, 2012
Filed under News

Chants of "United we stand, united we fall," and "Si Se Puede (Yes, it's possible)" rang through upper campus at Cal State Long Beach as about 50 members of the Latino Student Union and the Pilipino American Coalition (PAC) paraded across campus. The march, held on Wednesday, was an effort... Read More »

‘Niners sweep Cal Poly

‘Niners sweep Cal Poly

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
April 9, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team used dominant pitching to sweep Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in a three-game series this past weekend winning 4-1 and 3-2 on in a doubleheader on Friday and 2-1 on Saturday.   Senior Taylor Petty and sophomore Erin Jones-Wesley combined efforts and gave... Read More »

49ers host Cal Poly

49ers host Cal Poly

Jason Clark, Jason Clark, and Jason Clark
April 3, 2012

The 49ers are out of excuses.   When the Long Beach State softball team takes the field on Friday against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, it will be doing so with a completely healthy team for the first time this year.   While... Read More »

49ers host Cal Poly

49ers host Cal Poly

April 3, 2012

49ers host Cal Poly

49ers host Cal Poly

April 3, 2012

‘Niners stride into Big West play

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team wrapped up its non-conference schedule with a 5-2 win over Loyola Marymount on Wednesday and will begin Big West Conference play next week. Sophomore starting pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley tossed a complete-game to lead the 'Niners... Read More »

School of Nursing receives $170,000 grant

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 19, 2012
Filed under News

The Cal State Long Beach School of Nursing received a $170,000 grant last week because of its contributions to areas with nursing shortages. The Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) awarded grants via the Song-Brown... Read More »

‘Niners end LBSU Invitational on strong note

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 13, 2012

Friday The Long Beach State softball team experienced two extremely different outcomes on Thursday as they beat Eastern Kentucky 10-7, but followed up by losing to Oregon State 12-2 in the Long Beach State Invitational. The 'Niners (8-16) opened their own tournament... Read More »

49ers will be tested in LBSU Invitational

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State women's softball team will welcome somewhat of a home atmosphere this weekend as they host the Long Beach State Invitational. The 49ers may get a break from playing on the road, but they won't be able to relax, as they face two ranked opponents, and another who is on the... Read More »

49ers looking forward to Long Beach State Invitational

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

It's been a tough season for the Long Beach State softball team, and after it went 1-4 in the San Diego Classic over the weekend, things don't seem to be getting any easier. The 49ers (7-15) have now lost ten of their last eleven games and aren't living up to expectations that had them pegged... Read More »

Students rally against tuition hikes

Students rally against tuition hikes

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
March 4, 2012
Filed under News

Hundreds of students gathered at Cal State Long Beach's upper quad Thursday to rally against budget cuts and ongoing tuition hikes.  The rally was part of a nationwide Occupy Movement that extended to other Cal State University and University of California campuses.  Students... Read More »

49ers struggle in Cathedral City Classic

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 27, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team spent the weekend in Palm Springs, but it was hardly a vacation, as the 49ers dropped four of five games at the Cathedral City Classic. The ‘Niners (6-9) won their opening game 12-6 over Fordham on Thursday, but lost the nightcap of the doubleheader... Read More »

Rally to be held for educational rights

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 26, 2012
Filed under News

Students for Quality Education (SQE) is holding a rally on Thursday at Cal State Long Beach in protest of increasing tuition prices and budget cuts. SQE is a student-run organization that fights for educational rights across the Cal State University system. Representatives spent last week... Read More »

‘Niners take two out of five in Vegas

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 20, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team finished the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas with two wins and three losses this weekend. The 49ers came away with wins against Indiana and Memphis, but dropped games to Texas Tech, Ohio State,... Read More »

Zombies to invade campus

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 15, 2012
Filed under News

Students beware — there will be zombies on campus next week. Starting Feb. 20, engineering students participating in the department's eWeek 2012 will play a tag game called Zombies vs. Humans, which is based around the scenario of... Read More »

LBSU finishes 3-2 in Fresno State Tournament

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 13, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team wrapped up its first tournament of the season Sunday, defeating Fresno State in extra innings and bringing its record to 3-2 on the year. The 49ers traveled up north on Friday for the Fresno State Tournament,... Read More »

Students look to mobile apps for jobs

Jason Clark, Contributing Writer
February 12, 2012
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach students with skills in computer science are looking at an emerging field — creating applications for smart phones. According to a study done by TechNet, 466,000 jobs have been created since 2007 in the mobile... Read More »

LBSU opens season at Fresno State Tournament

Jason Clark, Staff Writer
February 10, 2012
Filed under Softball, Sports

The Long Beach State softball team opens its season with a five-game tournament in Fresno this weekend. Expectations are high for the 49ers, who return eight starters from a squad that earned an NCAA tournament berth last season. The team... Read More »