Controversial psychology professor to retire in the fall

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
April 14, 2014
Filed under News

After teaching for 30 years at Cal State Long Beach, controversial “anti-Semitic” psychology professor Kevin MacDonald will begin his final semester in the fall. MacDonald will retire through the Cal State University Faculty Early Retirement Program, which allows tenured CSU faculty to retire... Read More »

Terry Richardson pussy-foots around sexual assault accusations

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
March 19, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Controversial photographer Terry Richardson directed Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” music video, Lady Gaga’s documentary and stirred his tea with a model’s used tampon. Richardson has come forward to address alleged rumors in an open letter to Huffington Post Friday, March 14. A few weeks... Read More »

Trends: Normcore fashion

Trends: Normcore fashion

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
March 10, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Fashion, Showcase

The cast of “Seinfeld” had their fashion game on point and we’re only learning about it now, more than ten years later. A few weeks ago, NY Magazine introduced “normcore” as “Fashion for those who realize they’re one in 7 billion.” Now, normcore has become almost inescapable with fashion... Read More »

Dear flyer bomber: who exactly are you targeting?

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
February 26, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

University of Southern California and University of California, Los Angeles have put their rivalry to rest to join together to fight alleged on-campus racism. A few weeks ago, USC’s Asian Pacific American Student Services and UCLA’s Asian American Studies Center received fliers spewed with racial... Read More »

Business for a cause: Out of Print

Business for a cause: Out of Print

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under Diversions

The millennial generation has brought about a transformative wave in retail shopping: giving back while buying in. Corporations have increasingly become more philanthropic, with their donations showing a higher increase than nonprofit foundations since the 1980s, according to Forbes. Philanthropy... Read More »

Can Facebook find my next boyfriend?

Can Facebook find my next boyfriend?

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Facebook has the data capabilities to tell me who will be the next person I’m going to date. Well, that’s a relief. “Relationships start with a period of courtship: on Facebook, messages are exchanged, profiles are visited, posts are shared on each other’s timelines,” according to Facebook... Read More »

A reflection on generation “#selfie”

A reflection on generation “#selfie”

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
February 18, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

President Barack Obama was seen posing for a selfie during Nelson Mandela’s memorial service a few months ago, according to ABCnews.com. The word “selfie” was introduced into the Oxford English Dictionary and claimed the title of “word of the year” in 2013, according to CNN. The history... Read More »

Unemployment benefits bill leaves no good choices for Congress

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
February 2, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

In December, some 1.3 million Americans lost their extended jobless benefits, according to the Los Angeles Times. Before 2014, federal government and state governments provided up to 26 weeks of unemployment benefits, paid from the payroll taxes of the employed. During the rise of the recession... Read More »

Random acts of violence are quickly becoming the societal norm

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
January 28, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Two weeks ago at a Florida theater, a man was shot to death for texting during a movie. There seems to be an ongoing trend of public displays of violence and rage throughout not only the world but our neighboring cities as well. These acts of aggression can stem from sociopaths with mental disorders,... Read More »

Savannah Brown empowers an audience with a poetic slam

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
January 27, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

“When I first learned that no one could ever love me more than me.” This is the first line from 17-year-old Savannah Brown’s slam poem, “What guys look for in girls,” which has generated more than 1.1 million viewers on YouTube. Brown initiated the slam poem in response to teen social... Read More »

The dating deck: generation tinder

The dating deck: generation tinder

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
January 22, 2014
Filed under Opinions

With the end of 2013, we welcome the fresh New Year with bright eyes and hopeful hearts. We leave the bad grades, forgettable arguments, unfinished projects and many heartbreaks behind. What’s the best way to ring in the New Year for us single kids who are looking for love … or maybe just some... Read More »

Men with authority shoot to kill and receive a slap on the wrist

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
January 21, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

A homeless man was brutally beaten on the streets of Fullerton. Medical records showed the man, Kelly Thomas, had broken bones throughout his facial cavity and eventually choked on his own blood, according to an article in the LA Times. The article stated that Thomas arrived at the hospital in a comatose... Read More »

Anti-smoking ad “The Smoking Kid” enlightens smokers

Joann Row, Opinions Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

“Can I get a light?” This question is amongst the most common between smokers. College student smokers are asked this question often, even on a daily basis. What if this question were to come from an unusual source. Maybe even a considerably inappropriate source? In June 2012, the Thai Health... Read More »

Culminating compilation

Culminating compilation

Joann Row , Assistant News Editor
December 10, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music

Notorious mash-up specialist DJ Earworm dropped a 2013 mix for his “United States of Pop” series last week, titled “Living The Fantasy.” Jordan Roseman, also known as DJ Earworm, first began his “United States of Pop” series in 2007, where he mixed together the top 25 songs from the Billboard... Read More »

US is divided on which holiday greeting is the most appropriate

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 9, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

‘Tis the season to declare war on Christmas. As the winter spirit rolls in this year, so does the ongoing debate between “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Holidays.” Every year, the same questions arise about what to call the winter season in order to respect all December holidays. Is it appropriate... Read More »

Our View: Critiquing the war on Xmas

Our View: Critiquing the war on Xmas

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 8, 2013
Filed under Our View, Podcasts

It's inevitable. As every year wraps up, political pundits take to the airwaves to declare that there's a "war on Christmas." Daily 49er looked to its own editors to see if they prefer the phrase "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."

One Nation benefit show offers donation opportunities, Disneyland tickets

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 4, 2013
Filed under News

One Nation hosted a Typhoon Haiyan Relief Benefit Show last night, providing the attendees with live entertainment, baked goods and a chance to win passes to Disneyland. More than 60 attendees came out to support the benefit show, which featured Cal State Long Beach students performing musical acts,... Read More »

Jelly Bean-inspired video should inspire young people to live

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 2, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The average American will live approximately 28,835 days, according to a viral video. Imagine these days being represented by a pile of 28,835 Jelly Beans on the floor. This is what one YouTube user, ZeFrank, did for his online video, “The Time You Have (In Jellybeans)” in June. ZeFrank... Read More »

Google should reconsider its satellite imagery programs in US

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Two weeks ago, news broke that the 2009 murder scene of a 14-year-old boy could still be found on Google Maps. Since the development of Google Earth in 2005, satellite images have made it possible for anyone to zoom in on a location with only a few taps on a keyboard. Whether it’s planning a... Read More »

Naked with Rogen in the Desert

Naked with Rogen in the Desert

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
December 1, 2013

Seth Rogen uploaded a video onto his Facebook page last Monday and it immediately went viral, with more than a hundred thousand hits in one day. “While on the set of their movie, “The Interview,” James Franco and Seth Rogen felt inspired to recreate their favorite new video. Shot. For. Shot,”... Read More »

Drag kings take over the Nugget

Drag kings take over the Nugget

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 20, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender hip-hop performers and drag kings lit up the stage last night at the Nugget Grill and Pub for the third annual “Queer Hip Hop: Uncensored” event. Attendees included Cal State Long Beach students and supporters of the LGBT community. This is the third year... Read More »

Queer Hip Hop returns Wednesday

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under News

“Queer Hip Hop: Uncensored” will take the stage at the Nugget Grill and Pub today as a number of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender hip hop artists perform their unfiltered lyrical rhymes. Cal State Long Beach’s third Queer Hip Hop concert is returning to campus after skipping 2012, said... Read More »

Building bridges between branches

Building bridges between branches

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 18, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Showcase

Creativity flourishes in Cal State Long Beach’s Merlino gallery as an artist manipulates his reality into an interpretative exhibition of his family tree. Jordan Joyce, senior printmaking major, headlined his first individual exhibit this week at Cal State Long Beach’s Merlino gallery. The... Read More »

PAC aims to send help to the Philippines

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 13, 2013
Filed under News

Typhoon Haiyan has shaken thousands of people in the Philippines, and students in a campus organization are working on sending aid to those affected — which could include some of their family members. Typhoon Haiyan hit the central Philippines on Friday through Saturday, leaving behind an estimated... Read More »

Long Beach fire academy comes to campus

Long Beach fire academy comes to campus

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 11, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Firefighter recruits, fire engines and senior firefighters covered Cal State Long Beach ground on Veterans Day with ladders, hoses and gear in tow. Their arrival marked the first fire academy to train at CSULB since 2008, said James Kovacs, training captain for the Long Beach Fire Department. The... Read More »

Organic fashion

Organic fashion

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
November 4, 2013

The Max L. Gatov West and East galleries are draped with floor length, hand-knitted fashion pieces, including garments made entirely of receipts for this week’s exhibit: “The Clothed Body,” an exhibit curated by Karen Kleinfelder's art history students. Amabelle Aguiluz, one of the designers... Read More »

Campus MovieFest filmmaking race begins

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
October 22, 2013
Filed under News

Filmmakers will take over the Cal State Long Beach campus for the next week for the annual Campus MovieFest. Students from more than 50 colleges and universities nationwide will participate in this year’s contest, which launches today, for a chance to win up to $20,000 in cash grants, a 12-month... Read More »

Campus Police host active shooter demo

Campus Police host active shooter demo

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
October 16, 2013
Filed under News

Room 202 in the Vivian Engineering Center was on lockdown for 10 minutes Wednesday as students barricaded the doors with belts and large desks. The students were participating in the “Active Shooter Classroom Defense Exercise,” which featured four 30-minute presentations on recent public shootings,... Read More »

CSULB Trends: Fall Trends Continued

CSULB Trends: Fall Trends Continued

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
October 14, 2013
Filed under Blog, Spectacle

Now that  summer is officially over, winter wear is continuing to impact campus fashion in a big way. Although many of us didn’t mind the heat, the worst combination in this beautiful fall weather is 8 a.m. classes and a cold breeze. Waking up at 6:30 a.m. for an 8 a.m. class is hard on its own,... Read More »

Students, zombies cheer at LB Marathon

Students, zombies cheer at LB Marathon

Joann Row, Assistant News Editor
October 13, 2013
Filed under News, Showcase

Students, campus organizations and zombies cheered on the thousands of runners and cyclists trekking across Cal State Long Beach for the 29th annual Long Beach Marathon on Sunday. The 26.2-mile-long Long Beach Marathon, sponsored by International City Bank, started at 6 a.m. near the Queen Mary. The... Read More »

CSULB Trends: Fall Has Arrived!

CSULB Trends: Fall Has Arrived!

Joann Row, Contributing Writer
October 7, 2013
Filed under Blog, Spectacle

The fall season has finally hit CSULB campus. After the random September summer, sweaters are making its debut all over the streets. Fall sweater weather allows students to play with cozy fabrics, autumn colors and introduce romantic winter wear. As the auburn leaves were flowing in the wind and... Read More »

CSULB Trends: Beat the Heat!

CSULB Trends: Beat the Heat!

Joann Row, Contributing Writer
October 6, 2013
Filed under Blog, Spectacle

Its summer in autumn and CSULB students are feeling the heat! While many of us are confused as to when the sweater weather will begin, Isabelle Tcheng, a first-year student, knows exactly how to prepare for the blistering heat. I found Isabelle on her way to the parking lot and the first thing that... Read More »

Students gather at Brotman Hall in remembrance of suicide victims

Joann Row, Staff Writer
October 1, 2013
Filed under News

Brotman Hall was illuminated by about 600 candlelit paper bags yesterday as students gathered for a candlelight vigil in memoriam for those impacted by suicide. The Cal State Long Beach candlelight vigil was hosted by Project OCEAN (On Campus Emergency Assistance Network) whose mission is to promote... Read More »

New club hopes to bridge gap between farmers and food

Joann Row, Staff Writer
October 1, 2013
Filed under News

The first Cal State Long Beach club dedicated to healthy and sustainable living has sprouted on campus this semester. Students for Sustainable Health (SSH) is a new club led by a group of five nutrition students eager to show others the benefits of environmentally conscious eating and living habits. Senior... Read More »

Nursing department to gain two new labs

Nursing department to gain two new labs

Joann Row, Staff Writer
September 26, 2013
Filed under News

A mock intensive care unit and delivery room are coming to the nursing department. In an attempt to provide nursing students with a more hands-on learning environment, two new specialized simulation labs are under construction in the department. The new facilities will replace small, outdated classrooms... Read More »

SSO brings Saudi clothes, food, culture to CSULB

Joann Row, Contributing Writer
September 23, 2013
Filed under News

The University Student Union ballrooms were enriched with the vibrant sights, sounds and smells of Saudi Arabia on Monday. The USU ballrooms were filled with Saudi Arabian music, pictures of Saudi Arabian lands projected on a screen and the smells of authentic Saudi Arabian foods. The CSULB Saudi... Read More »

First Official LGBTQ Campus Climate Committee comes to CSULB

Joann Row , Contributing Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach has established its first official committee to address the needs of the on-campus lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community. Dina Perrone, an assistant professor in the criminal justice department, said it took many years for the LGBTQ Campus Climate Committee to... Read More »

First on-campus physical therapy center opens for students, faculty, staff

Joann Row, Contributing Writer
September 11, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach opened the doors to its first physical therapy and rehabilitation services center Monday. The new center, called PT@The Beach, is located in the LifeFit Center inside the Kinesiology building. According to Director of PT@The Beach Dr. James Buenaventura, the new center, which... Read More »