Students should change passwords

Shane Newell, City Editor
April 21, 2014
Filed under News

Although no vulnerabilities have been detected, Cal State Long Beach students are being urged to change their passwords in order to avoid having their personal information stolen via the “Heartbleed” bug. “Heartbleed,” also known as an Internet bug, is a weakness found in OpenSSL software,... Read More »

‘Under the Skin’ is over audiences’ heads

Shane Newell, City Editor
April 15, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Movies, Reviews, Showcase

Although it may be one of the most disturbing and audacious films ever produced, “Under the Skin” largely under-performs and falls flat in almost every category. Based on a 2000 novel of the same name, “Under the Skin” follows an unnamed alien woman (Scarlett Johansson) who stalks young Scottish... Read More »

Long Beach mayoral runoff election to be held in June

Shane Newell, City Editor
April 9, 2014
Filed under News

Although he received the most votes in Tuesday’s mayoral election, City of Long Beach Vice Mayor Robert Garcia must still face off with mayoral candidate Damon Dunn in a June runoff election for Long Beach’s next mayor. Garcia received 25.39 percent of the vote, which was the highest out of all... Read More »

Albums for the nostalgic spring breaker

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 26, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music, Reviews

To bring up the energy: “The Stone Roses” – The Stone Roses Acid-influenced, groove-induced and sonically-revolutionary, “The Stone Roses” is a great album to listen to with friends. Jamming to the guitar solo on “I Am the Resurrection” or the catchy chorus... Read More »

“TINY” film to be shown on campus

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 26, 2014
Filed under News

Filmmakers Merete Mueller and Christopher Smith will stop by the Beach Auditorium tonight to discuss their documentary, “TINY: A Story About Living Small.” The film, which has been shown at film festivals throughout the country, is about Smith, Mueller and other couples who build tiny homes together... Read More »

Dodger games now come at a higher price

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 25, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Up until this year, watching a Los Angeles Dodgers game on television was as easy as tuning into Fox Sports or KCAL9. The familiar yet paternal sound of Vin Scully’s voice welcomed fans of all backgrounds who diligently watched every Dodgers game that was broadcast. Although many fans predicted... Read More »

Historian and best-selling author to speak on the evolution of American Presidency

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 24, 2014
Filed under News

Historian, author and CBS News commentator Douglas Brinkley will speak at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center on Thursday evening for the seventh annual Cal State Long Beach Distinguished Speaker Series. The lecture, titled “The Evolution of the American Presidency,” begins at 7:30 p.m. and will... Read More »

13 ASI candidates found in violation of campaign policy

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 23, 2014
Filed under News

The Associated Students Inc. Board of Elections approved sanctions Friday against two executive candidates and the other 11 members of Students for Diverse Leadership for violating campaign policy. As a result of two improperly placed campaign posters, ASI presidential candidate Joseph Phillips and... Read More »

‘Mad Men’ talks new season

‘Mad Men’ talks new season

Shane Newell , City Editor
March 23, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Events, Showcase, TV

More than 2,000 ultimate TV fans and die-hard “Mad Men” fanatics packed the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Friday night to hear the Emmy Award-winning show’s cast discuss the upcoming season. Known as the ultimate TV fan festival, Paleyfest celebrates the best in television and is hosted over... Read More »

Six computers reported missing from University Library in past weeks

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 13, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Six computers from the University Library have been reported missing or stolen in past weeks, University Police Lt. Rick Goodwin said. Goodwin said that three computers were reported missing from the University Library earlier this morning. Three more computers were reported stolen last week, he said. He... Read More »

Russia has reason to act in Crimea, we don’t

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 10, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

As the situation heats up in Europe over Russia’s so-called invasion of Crimea, it is important to realize that the unfolding series of events is entirely fresh and unique. Crimea, a semi-autonomous region of Ukraine, has made major headlines in recent weeks as the political unrest in Ukraine worsens. Recently,... Read More »

City implements new water restrictions

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 2, 2014
Filed under Uncategorized

The Long Beach Board of Water Commissioners has announced three new city restrictions on water use in an effort to conserve water during the current drought. Residents are now prohibited from irrigating landscape with potable water on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, according to the... Read More »

Daily 49er, DIG earn 6 awards

Shane Newell, City Editor
March 2, 2014
Filed under News

The Daily 49er and DIG Magazine took home six awards in total from the 2013 California College Media Association awards banquet Saturday. Two of the Daily 49er’s five awards were for first place. Former Daily 49er Design Director Jen San Jose won two awards, including first place for news page... Read More »

Former CSULB student’s car searched for ammunition

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under News

University Police surrounded Carlo Rabadam’s car with their weapons drawn yesterday as the Cal State Long Beach alumnus visited campus to pick up his girlfriend. At approximately 1:40 p.m., Rabadam was waiting in his car near the Foundation building when officers ordered him to get out of his vehicle... Read More »

Business management, engineering enrollment highest in CSULB

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under News, Uncategorized

The ratio of undergraduate students studying business-management compared to foreign languages at Cal State Long Beach is more than 18 to 1, according to new data from the Cal State University. More than 3,700 CSULB students sought bachelor’s degrees in business-management in the fall, comprising... Read More »

Brand new flavor in your ears – Beck’s “Morning Phase”

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 19, 2014

Beck has once again struck gold with his twelfth album, “Morning Phase.” Featuring an impressive collection of 13 songs, “Morning Phase” is a slow-moving, musically rich album that features distinct rhythm and pacing. Billboard has coined him the “Coolest Weirdo in the Room,” and his... Read More »

Suspected American terrorists may face death penalty

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 17, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

If you are an American citizen suspected of planning or committing terrorist acts, watch out. Last week, the Associated Press broke a story detailing how President Barack Obama’s administration is considering whether or not to kill an American citizen suspected of plotting terrorist attacks against... Read More »

Brown proposes Cal Grant changes

Brown proposes Cal Grant changes

Shane Newell , City Editor
February 11, 2014
Filed under News

Students who have been denied Cal Grant renewal awards may soon find relief in Gov. Jerry Brown’s most recent budget proposal. In his 2014-15 preliminary budget, Brown has proposed to allocate $14.9 million toward students who have lost their Cal Grant eligibility status because their family’s... Read More »

One step at a time

One step at a time

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 9, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Elizabeth Ramos is a 23-year-old senior who now walks with the help of a cane. Since she was put in a medically induced coma after being hit by a car, Ramos has returned for her final semester at Cal State Long Beach. Ramos, a senior nutrition major, was struck by a car on Bellflower Boulevard... Read More »

Beatles performance on ‘Ed Sullivan’ is one of TV’s greatest moments

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 5, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Television as we know it has been in our lives for more than 60 years. Since its infancy, television has informed and entertained the public. Events like 9/11 and the moon landing were brought to life through the often-polarizing medium of television. Although there have been many important moments... Read More »

A peek at upcoming albums

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 4, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music

Morissey to release new LP He’s back. After writing an extremely popular autobiography last year, former Smiths frontman Morrissey announced he is recording a new album with Harvest Records. His last LP in 2009, “Years of Refusal,” was one of his best. As to what sound fans... Read More »

Hoffman’s tragic, untimely death leaves wandering questions

Shane Newell, City Editor
February 3, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

To only call Philip Seymour Hoffman an actor would miss the point entirely — he was so much more. More than an Academy Award-winning actor, Hoffman was a partner, brother, son and father. His untimely death of an apparent drug overdose at age 46 is tragic enough to bring up the discussion on how... Read More »

CSULB smoking ban remains on the table

CSULB smoking ban remains on the table

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 28, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Nearly a year has gone by since more than 4,100 students voted to pass Cal State Long Beach’s smoking referendum, yet the university still has not become a smoke-free campus. Last March, 64.22 percent of students who voted in the election voted to approve Referendum #2, which recommended that former... Read More »

Community garden coming to CSULB

Community garden coming to CSULB

Shane Newell , City Editor
January 27, 2014
Filed under News

The Cal State Long Beach community garden is one step closer toward its fruition nearly 10 months after it was first proposed by a former Associated Students Inc. vice president candidate. Following months of behind-the-scenes planning, senior engineering major Vincent Holguin and ASI Vice President... Read More »

CSULB professor to travel to Greece on Fulbright grant

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 27, 2014
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach professor Bita Ghafoori is planning a trip to Greece later this year, but it won’t be for a summer vacation. Ghafoori, who is a professor of advanced studies in education and counseling at CSULB, has been awarded a grant from the Fulbright Specialist Program to work with administrators... Read More »

CSULB professor publishes book on CIA [VIDEO]

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 26, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Cal State Long Beach has its own CIA expert, and his name is Hugh Wilford. In his new book, “America’s Great Game: The CIA's Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East,” Wilford tracks the efforts of post-World War II Americans who helped transform the Middle East in social and... Read More »

CSU freshmen, transfer applications increase

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 21, 2014
Filed under News

The 23-campus Cal State University system has seen a significant rise in first-time freshmen and transfer applications in recent years. Although total applications numbers are up, Gov. Brown’s recent budget proposal may stop the CSU from admitting 20,000 extra students it had originally hoped to... Read More »

CSULB professor to study kelp forests

CSULB professor to study kelp forests

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 21, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Cal State Long Beach biology professor Steven L. Manley will be venturing into uncharted waters when he and a colleague begin their study to determine the severity of radioactive contamination on California’s kelp forests. Manley will work with Kai Vetter, the head of the applied nuclear physics... Read More »

Net neutrality keeps the internet free and open

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Before Jan. 14th, millions of Americans had never heard about the concept of net neutrality. Following a controversial court ruling last week, the concept of net neutrality could end if the Federal Communications Commission, also known as the FCC, does not appeal the ruling. Although the laws behind... Read More »

Professor reflects on Northridge quake

Professor reflects on Northridge quake

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under News

On Friday, California marked the 20th anniversary of one of its worst earthquakes on record. Although it has been a little more than two decades since Southern California experienced the Northridge earthquake, Cal State Long Beach geology professor Nate Onderdonk said the event was “very significant”... Read More »

Skateboarding allowed on certain parts of campus

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Skateboarding is finally legal at Cal State Long Beach. University Police announced a new plan that will allow skateboarding in certain parts of campus after the Long Beach City Council decided last October that CSULB can set its own skateboarding regulations. CSULB Vice President of Administration... Read More »

Gov. Brown proposes $142.2 million funding increase

Shane Newell, City Editor
January 20, 2014
Filed under News

The California State University system is one step closer to receiving an increase in state funding. Earlier this month, Gov. Jerry Brown added a $142.2 million increase for the CSU general fund to his proposed 2014-15 budget. In spite of the increase, Brown’s proposed budget still falls $95.4... Read More »

Debating NSA and the great American data grab

Nicolas Rodriguez, Shane Newell, and James Delahoussaye
December 17, 2013
Filed under Columns, Podcasts

Since Edward Snowden released documents showing NSA tracks the phone and internet activity of millions of Americans, public outrage has spurred congressional hearings and most recently, a... Read More »

Press freedoms should be preserved in wake of government leaks

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
December 4, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

In the wake of massive government leaks published by the Guardian, a war on press freedoms has erupted. Guardian Editor-in-Chief Alan Rusbridger testified Tuesday before a U.K. parliamentary committee on the nature of controversial articles that his newspaper had published, according to Russia Today. The... Read More »

33 years gone

33 years gone

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
December 3, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Music, Showcase

Thirty-three years ago today, three members of Led Zeppelin announced to the world that the band was no more. “We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we... Read More »

Iranian nuclear deal could pave way for improved world relations

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
December 3, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

While many Americans were busy preparing for the Thanksgiving holiday last week, a historic pact was reached between Iran and six world powers, including the U.S. and China. One of the pact’s significant accomplishments is that Iran has agreed to stop enriching its uranium supplies beyond 5 percent,... Read More »

Opinions: 11-26-13

Opinions: 11-26-13

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 26, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Professor aims to amend fall 2014 finals schedule

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 24, 2013
Filed under News

In light of this semester’s finals schedule, a Cal State Long Beach professor has decided to propose a resolution to the College of Liberal Arts Faculty Council to change the fall 2014 finals schedule. “I was just struck [by] how odd the [fall 2013] finals schedule was,” said Jeffrey Blutinger,... Read More »

“The White Album” anniversary elicits debate on album’s meaning

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 24, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Forty-five years since its release, the Beatles’ self-titled ninth studio album still remains one of the Fab Four’s most enigmatic pieces of musical artwork. Released in the U.S. on Nov. 25, 1968, the self-titled album marked a significant moment in the history of the band. As evidenced by its... Read More »

Band Aid anniversary highlights music’s ability to give to charity

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 24, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The word “supergroup” can’t even begin to describe the musical talent that came together on Nov. 25, 1984 to record Band Aid’s charity single, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Co-written by Bob Geldof of The Boomtown Rats and Midge Ure of Ultravox, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”... Read More »

Sophomore Success

Sophomore Success

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 20, 2013

England’s newest rock sensation has proven he is more than just a mop-top and pretty face. Nineteen-year-old singer-songwriter Jake Bugg released his second album, “Shangri La,” Tuesday to the adoration of indie rock fans. Containing 12 songs, “Shangri La” finds Bugg as a more mature... Read More »

Former President John F. Kennedy revolutionized TV debates

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 18, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Friday marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy. Although he was in office for less than three years, the impact Kennedy had on the American political system was immeasurable. One of Kennedy’s most significant contributions to politics arose from the... Read More »

U.S. Ambassador brings experience from the Middle East to CSULB

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 17, 2013
Filed under News

More than 150 students, administrators and Long Beach community members crowded into the Theatre Arts Lecture Hall Thursday to listen as former U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan Cameron Munter spoke about his experiences and speculated on U.S.-Pakistan relations. During his time in the Middle East, former... Read More »

Edgar Wright discusses “Cornetto Trilogy” in Hollywood

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 17, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Events, Showcase

Fans of director Edgar Wright’s “Cornetto Trilogy” packed into the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday to hear him speak about the inspirations behind each film. Popularly called the “Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy,” each of the three films features a scene with a different flavor... Read More »

Americans should protest Thanksgiving day Black Friday deals

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 13, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The most anticipated shopping day of the year is almost here. Black Friday, a day when retailers slash prices on some of their most popular items, has seemingly become more and more popular in recent years. Retail giants like Macy’s and Best Buy announced they will begin offering their “Black... Read More »

Death penalty should be abolished for constitutional reasons

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Although it was the subject of intense national debate in the 1970s, the issue of whether the death penalty is constitutional has faded considerably in recent years. Discussions regarding the archaic form of punishment have seemingly disappeared from national headlines. In accordance with his dedication... Read More »

Miami Dolphins scandal sheds light on negative NFL locker rooms

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 11, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Controversy has once again struck the NFL. Throughout the past few weeks, much of the media attention surrounding the NFL has been focused on Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin’s decision to leave his team. Citing the “culture around football” as part of his motivation to leave,... Read More »

Opinions: 11-13-13

Opinions: 11-13-13

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 11, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Shane Newell comes on to discuss the paper's opinions on CSU's budget and LBCC's decision to charge more for impacted classes.

BASKETBALL GUIDE: Hallie Meneses is back in action

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

What was supposed to be a routine practice in preparation for the 2012-13 basketball season turned grave for redshirt junior point guard Hallie Meneses. On Oct. 8, 2012, Meneses was practicing jump-stop drills when she heard  her right knee pop. “I just knew I was done,” Meneses said. “You... Read More »

Peace summit on Syrian conflict must be held immediately

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 5, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

When Syrian President Bashar al-Assad agreed to relinquish control of his country’s nuclear weapons arsenal, some people thought the Syrian conflict was close to ending. News headlines throughout the world made it appear that Syria would see peace, not further bloodshed. While it is commendable... Read More »

Denying Snowden’s clemency appeal will lead to more damage

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 4, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Because his appeal for clemency was denied by officials from the White House, it seems as though former NSA contractor Edward Snowden will never return to the U.S. Snowden, a former government employee who leaked documents detailing the existence and scope of massive U.S. surveillance programs, had... Read More »

Anniversary of Iranian Hostage Crisis should inspire world leaders

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
November 3, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Nov. 4, 1979, was a day that forever changed relations between the U.S. and Iran. Thirty-four years ago, a group of 500 Iranian students stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and took more than 50 Americans hostage, according to the U.S. State Department. The event, later deemed the Iranian Hostage... Read More »

Calls to repeal Russia’s anti-gay legislation largely miss the point

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 29, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Russian President Vladimir Putin may be a diplomatic genius, but his ability to institute popular domestic policies has been tarnished in recent months. According to the BBC, Putin recently stressed that gay athletes will be welcome in the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. “We will... Read More »

Legacy of Lou Reed will live on in the decades after his death

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 28, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The music world lost one of its most diverse and influential voices on Sunday when Lou Reed died Sunday at the age of 71. According to his publicist, Reed died of an illness related to a liver transplant he had earlier this year. A founding member of alternative rock band The Velvet Underground,... Read More »

Indictment of ‘Scooter’ Libby raises many ethical questions

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 27, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Today marks the eighth anniversary of former vice presidential adviser I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby’s indictment by a federal grand jury. Called to testify on the leak of former covert CIA Agent Valerie Plame Wilson’s name to the press, the indictment of Libby had a profound impact on journalists... Read More »

Obama should reconsider widespread use of military drones

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 23, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

A pair of human rights organizations alleged the U.S. has not been entirely forthcoming about the actual number of civilians killed by military drone strikes, according to the Los Angeles Times. Research data from Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch appears to indicate that some of the drone... Read More »

Opinions: 10-23-13

Opinions: 10-23-13

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 23, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor for Daily 49er, came on the show to speak about the editorial staff's views on recent new events. Tune in to listen to our discussion on e-cigarettes and skateboarding on campus.  Also, the paper takes the position that LA Unified is wrong to move students in the middle... Read More »

Netflix’s recent announcement sets itself above its competitors

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For those who think that Netflix doesn’t rule the world of television shows and movies, think again. On Monday, Netflix announced it had reached 40 million subscribers worldwide, according to the New York Times. Netflix-produced shows like “Orange is the New Black” and “House of Cards”... Read More »

On-field baseball celebrations should be welcomed in playoffs

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 21, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

After losing Game 6 of the National League Championship Series to the St. Louis Cardinals, the Los Angeles Dodgers ended what many called a terrific run in 2013. Although their Game 6 defeat has been defined by throwing errors, poor hitting and an atypical pitching performance from Clayton Kershaw,... Read More »

Some criticisms leveled against ‘The Fifth Estate’ are unjustified

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 20, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

“The Fifth Estate” may be just as polarizing to audiences as the man upon which the film is based: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Starring British actor Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular figure, “The Fifth Estate” has not been too well received as of late. In addition to a dismal opening... Read More »

Committee made the right choice in Nobel Peace Prize winner

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 14, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For once, it can be universally agreed upon that the Nobel committee was correct in its decision to award the Nobel Peace Prize to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. Last week, the Nobel committee recognized the OPCW for its most recent efforts in Syria and its anti-chemical... Read More »

Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu should heed diplomatic caution

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 14, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

As each day passes, it seems that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continually distances himself from Western allies. After his recent speech at the United Nations, Netanyahu insisted that Iran should end its uranium enrichment program without compromise, according to the New York Times. According... Read More »

Cuban Missile Crisis anniversary could offer valuable insight

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 13, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Today marks the 51st anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis, an event that nearly catapulted the U.S. into a war with the Soviet Union. While U.S.-Russian relations are now a large improvement from what they were five decades ago, it’s clear that both sides could glean lessons from the anniversary... Read More »

Gov. Jerry Brown’s impact on immigration issues is noteworthy

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 8, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Regardless of one’s political leanings, one cannot deny the impact Gov. Jerry Brown has had on California so far in his third term as governor. Brown distanced himself from the Democratic Party on Monday after he vetoed a measure that would have permitted non-citizens to serve on juries, according... Read More »

Washington Redskins should be allowed to keep team name

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Watch out Washington Redskins fans, it’s that time of year again. Every fall, it seems there is an ever-increasing group of Americans who want the name of Washington Redskins changed to a less-offensive term. While some who dislike the Washington Redskins team name may be right in certain aspects... Read More »

John Lennon birthday anniversary should prompt remembrance

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Although it has been more than four decades since his untimely and tragic death, the legacy and life of John Lennon continue to live on. Tomorrow marks what would have been the former Beatle and rock superstar’s 73rd birthday. On the eve of Oct. 9, we should recognize the musical contributions... Read More »

Anniversary of California recall shows importance of democracy

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 6, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

To those who think that democracy is an outdated and ineffective process, think again. Today marks the 10th anniversary of the recall of former California Gov. Gray Davis. Davis, who was only the second governor to be successfully recalled in U.S. history, was embroiled in numerous controversial... Read More »

CSULB professor witnesses Egyptian protests firsthand

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 6, 2013
Filed under News

Walking amid hundreds of thousands of singing and dancing Egyptian protestors was the highlight of Olfat Mohamed’s summer vacation. What was planned as a visit to Mohamed’s mother in Cairo turned into a life-changing experience for the Egyptian-born physical therapy professor and adviser. “It... Read More »

LAUSD iPad scandal should promote district-wide reassessment

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 2, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

What seemed like a good idea for the Los Angeles Unified School District has gone terribly wrong. According to the Los Angeles Times, students from three LAUSD high schools have been forced to return their district-issued iPads. The reason for the return of the iPads stemmed from the fact that... Read More »

Republicans should be blamed for recent government shutdown

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
October 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

After political bickering and fighting failed to yield a new budget proposal, parts of the U.S. government shut down Tuesday at midnight. As a result of the shutdown, National monuments like the Statue of Liberty and the Lincoln Memorial were closed, according to the Los Angeles Times. In addition,... Read More »

Russian President Putin should be given credit for weapons deal

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 29, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

It’s finally over. Well, it isn’t really. Late Friday night, the five members of the United Nations Security Council approved a resolution that allowed for the complete chemical de-armament of Syria, according to the Los Angeles Times. Beginning next week, international officials will travel... Read More »

Anniversary of ‘60 Minutes’ should spark renewed interest

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 23, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Today marks the 45th anniversary of television newsmagazine “60 Minutes.” First broadcast on CBS on Sept. 24, 1968, “60 Minutes” changed the way Americans watched news. With familiar faces like Mike Wallace, Ed Bradley and Andy Rooney, dedicated audiences tuned in every Sunday to see the... Read More »

LA Dodgers swimming pool celebration is over-hyped by some media

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Much has been said recently about the Los Angeles Dodgers and their level of sportsmanship following their playoff-clinching game against the Arizona Diamondbacks. On Thursday, the Dodgers received criticism from baseball fans and public figures like Sen. John McCain (R-Az.) for celebrating in the... Read More »

D.C. shooting should promote fierce debate on gun control

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 18, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

A recently published study from the American Journal of Medicine has concluded that more guns do not contribute to the development of a safer nation. In addition to disproving the popular myth that more guns make nations safer, the study showed that countries with higher gun ownership rates also had... Read More »

Brazilian president announcement should be welcomed by all

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 17, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The reverberations of former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden’s leaks continue to affect politics around the world. According to The Guardian, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has indefinitely put off a meeting with President Barack Obama after allegations of the NSA spying. The... Read More »

Nuclear power support should not fade in wake of Japan’s choice

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 16, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For the second time since 2011, Japan is without nuclear power, according to Al Jazeera America. The country’s decision to close its last reactor for an unspecified amount of time has raised further questions about the effectiveness and safety of nuclear power. According to Al Jazeera America,... Read More »

Space shuttle anniversary should prompt interest in exploration

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 15, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Tomorrow will mark the 37th anniversary of the first space shuttle “Enterprise.” Named after the fictional spaceship piloted by the “Star Trek” crew, the “Enterprise” was the catalyst for decades of space travel and scientific discovery. Although the “Enterprise” and space shuttle... Read More »

NASCAR cheating scandal ruins a once-famous sport’s credibility

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Actions at Saturday’s NASCAR race in Richmond, Va., have permanently cast a dark shadow on the sport. On Monday, NASCAR officials fined the Michael Waltrip Racing team $300,000 for manipulating the outcome of Saturday’s race. According to ESPN, a late spinout and questionable pit stops led... Read More »

Opinions: 9-11-13

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor for Daily 49er, comes on the show to talk about the paper's views on CSULB assigning additional students to dorm rooms.

Anniversary of 1973 Chilean coup should prompt reflection

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 10, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Sept. 11, 1973, is a date that lives on in the minds of many Chileans. Forty years ago today, then-Chilean Gen. Augusto Pinochet led a military coup that was staged against then-President Salvador Allende, according to the BBC. The coup occurred due to the massive unpopularity of Allende, who was... Read More »

Support for military strike in Syria should be based on evidence

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 8, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Watch out, everyone. The war hawks are circling. Over the past few days, millions of Americans have been briefed on the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Syria. As President Barack Obama continues to try and persuade members of Congress to authorize a military strike against Syria, many war hawks... Read More »

Discussing Our View: 9-4-13

Shane Newell and James Delahoussaye
September 4, 2013
Filed under Daily 49er News Show

Shane Newell, Daily 49er's opinion editor, came on the show to discuss the paper's thoughts on Cal State Fullerton's new smoking ban.  Hint: the 49er doesn't like it.

Former Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow should play in the NFL

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
September 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

One of the most recognizable and popular quarterbacks in the NFL is now without a job. After a dismal preseason performance, the New England Patriots released the often-controversial quarterback Tim Tebow on Saturday, according to ESPN. Following his release, Tebow tweeted, “I would like to thank... Read More »

‘Definitely Maybe’ anniversary sparks fond memories of Britpop

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Aug. 29, 1994 is a date that will live in infamy for many fans of the Britpop music scene. On that day, British rock band Oasis released its debut album, “Definitely Maybe.” Composed of 11 tracks that came to define the Britpop scene, “Definitely Maybe” is easily one of the most influential... Read More »

United States role in 1953 Iranian coup remains controversial

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 25, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For the first time in 60 years, the U.S. acknowledged its role in deposing then-Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq in a coup d’état. Recently revealed documents from the National Security Archive detail multiple reasons that were used to justify the 1953 coup d’état. Although the coup... Read More »

Chelsea Manning should receive hormone therapy under law

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 25, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Days after receiving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks, former Army private Bradley Manning is back in the headlines. In a letter to NBC morning show, “Today,” Manning wrote that she is a woman and should be referred to as Chelsea... Read More »

Obama signs student loan interest rates plan into law

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 18, 2013
Filed under News

Millions of students will find temporary financial relief now that President Barack Obama has signed House Resolution 1911, a new plan for student loan interest rates, into law. As a result of the retroactive bill’s passage, all undergraduate federal loans taken out on or after July 1 will have... Read More »

Birth of Al Jazeera America should bring fairness to cable news

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 18, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

It’s not often that a new player comes into the realm of cable news. For years, networks like CNN, FOX and MSNBC have dominated the cable news world with each network pandering to a specific audience. On Tuesday, Al Jazeera America will launch to an audience that has not yet been defined. Although... Read More »

Los Angeles Dodgers have the potential to win the World Series

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 18, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The last time the Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series, songs like Guns N’ Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine” and Def Leppard’s “Love Bites” were on top of the music charts. Although it’s been 25 years since they beat the Oakland Athletics to claim the 1988 World Series title, the likelihood... Read More »

Alex Rodriguez’s challenge against MLB is good for baseball

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Aug. 5, 2013, will go down as one the most important days in Major League Baseball history. On Monday, New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was suspended by MLB officials for 211 games on the basis of his role and involvement in the Biogenesis steroids scandal. In addition to Rodriguez,... Read More »

Decision to cast Peter Capaldi in ‘Doctor Who’ is well-intentioned

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
August 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The world’s longest running sci-fi television program, “Doctor Who,” is facing a great deal of criticism after its decision to cast 55-year-old Scottish actor Peter Capaldi as the 12th incarnation of the Doctor. Critics from Rolling Stone and The Atlantic magazines have expressed disagreement... Read More »

Bradley Manning’s work with WikiLeaks will leave a lasting legacy

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 31, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Although he will most likely spend the remainder of his life in prison, former U.S. Army soldier Bradley Manning will not soon be forgotten. In accordance with his leak of more than 700,000 classified documents to WikiLeaks, Manning was convicted of espionage, theft and computer fraud by a military... Read More »

MTV anniversary should spark change on the once-giant network

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 31, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

At 12:01 a.m. on Aug. 1, 1981, a little-known music network called MTV debuted on television screens across New Jersey. The first words uttered on the network were from of one of its creators, John Lack. According to an article from History.com, Lack introduced the network to viewers with the words,... Read More »

Non-expiring employee permits to be eliminated

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 24, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach’s parking permit program will undergo a series of changes, including the elimination of non-expiring employee permits, according to Vice President of Administration and Finance Mary Stephens. Beginning fall 2013, non-expiring employee permits will be replaced with expiring permits... Read More »

British royal family provides leadership and economic benefits

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 24, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made royal history Monday after the Duchess gave birth to the third in line to the British throne. The royal son, George Alexander Louis, was met with widespread adoration from Anglophiles around the world. While many celebrated the royal birth, some took the opportunity... Read More »

‘Rolling Stone’ cover of alleged Boston bomber is fair and justified

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 24, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Since it debuted on Nov. 9, 1967, celebrities from around the world have sought to be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. From musicians like John Lennon to politicians like President Barack Obama, hundreds of important and unique people have appeared on the magazine’s cover over the years. Never... Read More »

Hunger strike in Guantanamo Bay offers hope for future reforms

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 17, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

While many Americans were watching the George Zimmerman trial last week, actor and hip-hop recording artist Yasiin Bey shocked the world by allowing himself to be force-fed on video. Formerly known as Mos Def, Bey agreed to work with The Guardian to show the public what prisoners in Guantanamo Bay... Read More »

Sikhs should be able to serve in Army under religious exemption

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 10, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

To those who say discrimination ended long ago, think again. As we speak, a small group of Sikhs in America are facing obstacles when it comes to joining the armed forces. Since 1984, Sikhs have not been allowed to serve in the military because of their unshorn beards and length of hair. Though... Read More »

Russian president should protect NSA leaker Snowden from US

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 2, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

An unlikely pair, it appears that former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden and Tom Hanks’ character from “The Terminal” have much in common. Snowden, the man responsible for leaking information about the extent of government surveillance on phones and electronic devices in the... Read More »

Americans must work together to achieve nation’s former glory

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
July 2, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Let’s face it: America isn’t what it used to be. The U.S. that boldly declared its independence, created a model democratic government and fought against some of the world’s greatest atrocities no longer exists. Instead, we are left with a country that is plagued by political deadlock, crippled... Read More »

‘Mad Men’ entertains and educates audiences, a rare feat in TV

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For those who say that television only serves to numb children’s brains and present a farfetched depiction of reality, think again. A 15-time Emmy Award winner, AMC’s “Mad Men” is proof that a television show can entertain its audience while providing invaluable insight into the past. For... Read More »

Pink Floyd’s signing with Spotify will revive its classic image

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 19, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The wait is finally over. After fans streamed the 1975 hit “Wish You Were Here” more than one million times, longtime holdout Pink Floyd announced this week that their entire catalog of music would be available to fans on the online music-streaming service Spotify. While Pink Floyd’s announcement... Read More »

Bill could lead to new CSU campus in Antelope Valley

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 12, 2013
Filed under News

A bill sitting in the California Legislature could lay the groundwork for a new Cal State University campus in the Antelope Valley. If passed, Assembly Bill 736 would require CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White to conduct an in-depth feasibility study to determine if the Antelope Valley could support... Read More »

Edward Snowden’s NSA leak rivals Ellsberg’s Pentagon Papers

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 12, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

For the past week and a half, news about the National Security Agency collecting the phone records of millions of Verizon customers has dominated the narrative. In less than a fortnight, admitted NSA leaker Edward Snowden has become the most polarizing figure in America. To some, Snowden is a hero.... Read More »

BOT announces five new campus presidents

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under News

While the search for a new Cal State Long Beach president has yet to begin, the Cal State University Board of Trustees has appointed five new presidents in its 23-campus system. According to the CSU website, the new presidents at Cal State Dominguez Hills, Cal State Fresno, Cal State Los Angeles,... Read More »

Bradley Manning should be viewed as a patriot, not a traitor

Shane Newell, Opinions Editor
June 5, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Bradley Manning may very well be America’s greatest patriot, though many people don’t know his name. Known to some as the U.S. Army soldier who leaked hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks, Manning’s heroic act of patriotism may land him in prison for life. Although his... Read More »

George Jones’s influence on country music shouldn’t be forgotten

Shane Newell
April 28, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The nights will get a little colder, the sun will shine a little less, and his music won't sound quite the same. After spending nearly 60 years recording country music and entertaining millions, superstar George Jones passed away last week after being admitted to a local hospital in Nashville,... Read More »

‘Arthur Newman’ is more boring than watching golf

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
April 28, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Movies

Old man meets young woman. Old man falls in love with young woman. Sex ensues. The three aforementioned plot points, often the linchpin of modern independent films, could not have been presented in a more boring way in the new film "Arthur Newman." The tale of two hopeless individuals,... Read More »

CSULB accepts bids for new campus shuttle contract

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
April 28, 2013
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach's Parking and Transportation Services is accepting bids for a new contract for its shuttle system, a system that Associated Students Inc. Vice President Jonathon Bolin said is in danger of being drastically cut. The... Read More »

Gun Control: There should be a limit on clip sizes

Shane Newell
April 23, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The right to own firearms, also known as the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, is one of the most exploited and abused rights in the history of mankind. While most registered gun owners use their legally purchased weapons for non-lethal purposes, many irresponsible gun owners have... Read More »

Rush’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is well past due

Shane Newell
April 21, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

It's about time, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After being eligible for induction since 1998, Canadian rock band Rush joined Randy Newman, Quincy Jones, Heart and others as the 2013 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Though their influence on rock music may not be as evident... Read More »

North Korea is not as big of a threat as the media makes it to be

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
April 14, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Media is, without a shadow of a doubt, the strongest weapon in modern warfare. More powerful than guns, tanks or bombs, media - or propaganda - controls what most people see, talk about and hear. In order to finance a war, you must sell it to your citizens first. In the past few... Read More »

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
April 14, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Gov. Brown’s budget could raise CSU faculty, staff salaries

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
April 10, 2013
Filed under News

For the first time in six years, Cal State University faculty and staff may get a pay raise. At the March CSU Board of Trustees meeting, the Committee on Finance proposed a plan of how to distribute the extra $125.1 million in state funding allocated to the CSU in ... Read More »

Vice offers a fresh alternative to the traditional news market

Shane Newell
April 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Despite the fact that it's a website, magazine, YouTube channel and a television show, very few Americans have heard of Vice. Created in 1994 as a free magazine called "Voice of Montreal," Vice has slowly turned into the quintessential alternative news outlet. Led by grizzly-faced, no-holds-barred... Read More »

The US should intervene with Lebanon but without force

Shane Newell
March 24, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati resigned on Saturday, sparking concerns that the often war-torn country may soon plunge into more unrest. According to ... Read More »

LSU faculty criticize Board of Supervisors, Alexander’s credentials

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
March 24, 2013
Filed under News

The Louisiana State University Faculty Senate unanimously passed a resolution of "no confidence" in the LSU Board of Supervisors last week, casting criticism on the group that will decide  whether to accept the candidacy of President F. King Alexander as the president and chancellor of the LSU... Read More »

ASI plans to create its own student-run advising center

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
March 24, 2013
Filed under News

Imagine getting an inside scoop on classes at Cal State Long Beach and hearing everything a faculty adviser wouldn't share, like first-hand experiences with professors, homework and certain activities - all from students who share the same major as the advisee. Students may soon be able to... Read More »

A thought on this year’s student government campaign posters

Shane Newell
March 19, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Marketing is everything, especially when it comes to vying for the most powerful student government positions at CSULB. Most students who aren't busy looking at their cell phones or chitchatting have seen many of the different types of... Read More »

The invasion of Iraq anniversary should spark US debate

Shane Newell
March 17, 2013
Filed under Opinions

This Wednesday will mark the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, one of the largest blemishes in American history. Justified on faulty intelligence and a propaganda-led media, the Iraq War has resulted in approximately 116,000 civilian... Read More »

The ethics surrounding drone strikes need more discussion

Shane Newell
March 10, 2013
Filed under Opinions

For 12 hours, 52 minutes and 11 seconds, Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) did what most U.S. senators don't: he worked. Paul used his right to filibuster in order to delay the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director, according to the Washington... Read More »

CSULB Choir sings on an international level

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under News

The Cal State Long Beach Cole Conservatory Chamber Choir made history on Friday, singing live alongside a virtual choir at TED2013... Read More »

The U.S. should learn from Europe, demand food-labeling laws

Shane Newell
March 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

For the past few weeks, European citizens have slowly begun to realize that some of their favorite foods have contained horse meat. According to the New York Times, IKEA, among other companies and institutions, has pulled its "Swedish meatballs" off the market after detecting traces of horse... Read More »

City of Long Beach to redesign its website

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
February 27, 2013
Filed under News

In addition to the creation of a new email alert system, the City of Long Beach is planning to make a pricey redesign to its website. The Long Beach City Council voted 7-0 on Feb. 19 to spend $212,486 on its website overhaul, according to the City of Long Beach's website. "Our site... Read More »

Lance Armstrong is the victim in the new lawsuit against him

Shane Newell
February 24, 2013
Filed under Opinions

It may not come as a shock that Lance Armstrong is back in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Nearly a month after admitting to Oprah Winfrey that he took performance-enhancing drugs in each of his seven Tour de France titles, Armstrong is now facing another lawsuit. On Friday,... Read More »

Legislation suggests CSUs and UCs to have polling places

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
February 20, 2013
Filed under News

Excuses of not voting because a polling place is out of reach may soon disappear. New proposed legislation, Senate Bill 240, would require all Cal State Universities and Universities of California to have polling places on campus during general elections. SB 240 was introduced by Sen. Leland... Read More »

Obama’s State of the Union should resonate with most Americans

Shane Newell
February 17, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that President Barack Obama is quite possibly the most eloquent, well-spoken president since John F. Kennedy. In his annual State of the Union Address, Obama highlighted his grand vision for the nation, which included raising the minimum wage, reducing... Read More »

City of Long Beach introduces email alert system

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
February 17, 2013
Filed under News

The City of Long Beach has launched a new feature of its website, creating an email alert system that allows residents to learn more about issues that relate exclusively to them. According to a tutorial video on the city's website, citizens can create an account that allows them to receive... Read More »

City parks may get Wi-Fi

City parks may get Wi-Fi

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
February 13, 2013
Filed under News

Long Beach surfers may soon be allowed to do what they love even in the natural environment of a local city park - on their laptops. The Long Beach City Council passed a preliminary measure last week that could allow for the installation of free Wi-Fi in city parks, according to Long Beach... Read More »

CSULB professor scores at Sundance

CSULB professor scores at Sundance

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
February 10, 2013
Filed under News

When one hears of the Sundance Film Festival, names like Robert Redford and Joseph Gordon-Levitt oftentimes come to mind. But now, Cal State Long Beach professor Craig Richey's name has been added to the prestigious list of Sundance attendees. "It's always exciting to be at Sundance,"... Read More »

Leaked Obama memo spells bad news for US Constitution

Shane Newell
February 10, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Three weeks into his second term, President Barack Obama is making headlines, albeit for all the wrong reasons. In a 16-page memo obtained by NBC News, Obama's legal team has argued that they have sufficient legal precedent to justify the killing of American citizens who are key leaders affiliated... Read More »

US should deal with future unrest in Mali with great caution

Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, Shane Newell, and Shane Newell
February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

War, devastation and civil unrest are issues that are not new to Mali or the continent of Africa. Mali, a country plagued in recent months by uprisings in its north, was on the verge of collapse just weeks ago. However, thanks to a series of military attacks coordinated by France, ... Read More »

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Lance Armstrong’s sentence is too long compared to other cyclists

Shane Newell
January 27, 2013
Filed under Opinions

To say I was disappointed when I watched Lance Armstrong admit to Oprah Winfrey that he took performance-enhancing drugs in all of his seven Tour de France victories is an understatement. Words like "heartbroken" and "devastated" still can't accurately describe what I felt when I first heard... Read More »

‘Movie 43′ is disgusting, offensive and unbearable

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
January 27, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions

Oftentimes when movies are advertised as offensive, they turn out to be overhyped interpretations of what the films actually are. However, "Movie 43" is so genuinely offensive that it should be quarantined like an outbreak of the bubonic plague. ... Read More »

MyCSULB crashes for four hours

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
January 22, 2013
Filed under News

English professor Ron Strahl found himself looking for a master's list of classroom numbers from the English department this morning so that he wouldn't get lost on the first day of the semester. "I didn't know where my classes were,"... Read More »

San Diego State offers campus shooting survival training

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
January 20, 2013
Filed under News

San Diego State is going on the offensive, combatting possible future threats from campus shootings by hosting a variety of free safety workshops. On Jan. 7 and 8, SDSU hosted an... Read More »

‘Zero Dark Thirty’ director does not advocate torture

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
January 20, 2013
Filed under Opinions

"Zero Dark Thirty," the compelling new drama detailing the U.S. government's manhunt to locate and capture Osama bin Laden, is getting a great deal of notoriety; albeit, for all the wrong reasons. The film, directed by Oscar-winner Kathryn... Read More »

CSU applications up by approximately 12 percent

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
December 9, 2012
Filed under News

First-time freshmen and transfer applications to the Cal State University have risen by nearly 12 percent compared to fall 2012, according to data provided by President F. King Alexander. As of Nov. 30, the CSU has received 746,731 first-time freshmen and transfer applications for fall 2013,... Read More »

Taking a photograph should not outweigh saving someone’s life

Shane Newell
December 9, 2012
Filed under Opinions

It's easy to put a price on a sensational photograph, but it's much harder to put a price on a human life. Last week in New York City, Ki Suk Han, a 58-year-old husband and father, died after... Read More »

The Weinstein Company takes risk with movies that pay off

Shane Newell
December 2, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Tall, loud and often aggressive, Harvey Weinstein is not your average movie producer. Harvey Weinstein, and his brother Bob, run one of the most important film companies in the world today, the Weinstein Company. Known for releasing and financing low-budget, award-winning films, the... Read More »

Three certificate programs, master’s program on the chopping block

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
November 28, 2012
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach's Academic Senate is expected to discuss and possibly vote on discontinuing three certificate programs and a master's program next week.  According to its website, the Academic Senate will begin a first reading of requests to discontinue the certificates in... Read More »

Record Store Day keeps the music industry alive and well

Shane Newell
November 25, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Vinyl fans can rejoice. After another successful "Record Store Day," audiophiles throughout the United States should be proud of their noble efforts to save a dying industry. On Friday, fans gathered at record stores nationwide to participate in "Record Store Day." The event is designed to... Read More »

SJSU students work to raise San Jose’s minimum wage

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
November 20, 2012
Filed under News

While many students had their eyes only on Proposition 30 this November, a group of students from San Jose State University had set their sites on another measure - one that would pass and raise the city's minimum wage from $8 to $10. The idea originated from the group of ... Read More »

Peace in the Middle East is highly unlikely after recent bombing

Shane Newell
November 18, 2012
Filed under Opinions

After nearly four years of relative quiet with each other, Israel and the Gaza Strip have begun to attack each other again. According to the Associated Press, Hamas - which rules Gaza - bombarded Israel with nearly 200 rockets on Thursday. Hamas' bombardment was in response to Israel's... Read More »

Everybody makes mistakes, but Petraeus will never recover

Shane Newell
November 11, 2012
Filed under Opinions

In a week highlighted by the reelection of President Barack Obama and hurricane relief efforts on the East Coast, news of CIA Director David H. Petraeus' resignation fell to many deaf ears. Petraeus... Read More »

Don’t just rock the vote, but rock out to rock ‘n’ roll music too

Shane Newell
November 5, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Neil Young, the godfather of Canadian rock, changed the world on Oct. 22, 1978, when he debuted his new song "Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)" at The Cow Palace in San Francisco. Young said that despite losing its king [Elvis Presley, who died in 1977] rock 'n' roll would never die and that... Read More »

Younger generation becomes more interested in voting

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
November 4, 2012
Filed under News

Instead of losing interest in the election's 24-hour coverage on TV and radio, it turns out that young voters are more interested in politics now than they were a few months ago. The Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) found that the percentage of young... Read More »

Death of Newsweek print edition spells bad news for journalism

Shane Newell
October 28, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Earlier this month, Newsweek announced its decision to end its print publication, allowing for a digital-only version of the magazine to survive come 2013. This decision, as a result of losses in both circulation and advertising, is bad news for print journalism in general. It's obvious... Read More »

CSUMB faces lawsuit over political email

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
October 23, 2012
Filed under News

Never mix politics with education - that's what the Howard Jarvis Taxpayer's Association is telling Cal State Monterey Bay. Howard Jarvis filed a lawsuit against CSUMB Thursday, alleging that Ernest Stromberg,... Read More »

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
October 23, 2012
Filed under News

Young voter turnout on the rise

Young voter turnout on the rise

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
October 22, 2012
Filed under News

As the presidential election looms even closer, candidates are vying for every last vote, including one of the country's biggest stumbling blocks: young people. According to the Center For Information & Research On Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE), a research organization studying political... Read More »

Young voter turnout on the rise

Young voter turnout on the rise

Shane Newell and Shane Newell
October 22, 2012
Filed under News

Without confirmation, Lance Armstong should keep his innocence

Shane Newell
October 21, 2012
Filed under Opinions

In a United States court, a person is innocent until proven guilty. This practice, also known as the presumption of innocence, is widely accepted in the nation. When it comes to the court of public opinion though, a person is often guilty until proven innocent. Lance Armstrong,... Read More »

Fraternity members bike for disabled children

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

While many students are focused on passing midterms and avoiding the October heat, members of one Cal State Long Beach fraternity are devoting their days, and nights, to biking for charity. Members of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity are riding stationary bicycles for 48 straight hours to help... Read More »

‘Argo’ is a declassified hit, Oscar contender

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
October 16, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The phrase "based on a true story" has sadly been used by the movie industry much too often. It has lost its original meaning, particularly because many movies based on past events only incorporate a small amount of truth.  However, contradictory to this is Ben Affleck's latest film,... Read More »

Vice presidential debate was just as polarized as expected

Shane Newell
October 14, 2012
Filed under Opinions

People hoping that Thursday's vice presidential debate would have lessened the ferocity between Republicans and Democrats sadly had their hopes dashed after only a few minutes. The debate, characterized by interruptions, gaping disagreements and thinly veiled attacks, left many Americans with... Read More »

Low box office numbers do not reflect quality of new films

Shane Newell
October 7, 2012
Filed under Opinions

There is a general consensus among some of the American public that film is in a state of decadence, destined to fail in an era of remakes and poor acting performances. However, this is quite far from the truth. The film industry is indeed prospering, with titles like "Looper," "The Master,"... Read More »

The world needs to listen to Netanyahu’s warnings about Iran

Shane Newell
October 1, 2012
Filed under Opinions

You know, 30 minutes is not a lot of time to convince the world that you're right, but that's what Benjamin Netanyahu did in his United Nations address. Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, spoke eloquently and forcefully on the subject of Iran and nuclear weapons, using every second on... Read More »

Cuts may pull the trigger on CSU employee health care

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
October 1, 2012
Filed under News

Tough budgetary times and risks of further cuts may force the Cal State University to "modify" health care contributions for its employees, according to the CSU's website. Currently, the CSU pays for 95 percent of its employees' total premium costs, according to the Committee on Finance's... Read More »

New laws requires universities to report child abuse

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
September 30, 2012
Filed under News

Gov. Jerry Brown signed three new child abuse laws into legislation last week, requiring that Cal State University staff and coaches report any incidences of physical or suspected child abuse. Assembly Bill 1434 requires that postsecondary university staff, who are in contact with children,... Read More »

Mitt Romney needs to confront the 47 percent comment he made

Shane Newell
September 23, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney made headlines again last week after a controversial video of him speaking at a fundraiser surfaced. In the video that has achieved national spotlight, Romney said that "47 percent [of Americans] who are dependent upon government, who believe that... Read More »

Students with injuries or disabilities must pay for regular parking permits

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

Students at Cal State Long Beach seeking a handicap parking permit may be surprised to find that in order to receive their handicap placard they must first pay for a regular parking permit. Parking permits for the academic year cost $271.50, according to CSULB's... Read More »

Cat-astrophe avoided, protection a priority

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
September 17, 2012
Filed under News

Cal State Long Beach has its own cat lady - and she's saving the university some money. Dorothy Burstein, a native of Los Alamitos, Calif., is one of a few dedicated volunteers... Read More »

As the body count continues to grow, the U.S. should get out

Shane Newell
September 16, 2012
Filed under Opinions

We all saw and heard the tragic news last week from the Middle East. U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were tragically killed by Libyan terrorists in an attack Wednesday. The motivation for the killings seemed to stem from an American-produced Anti-Muslim... Read More »

Suspicious package a dud

Suspicious package a dud

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
September 10, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

A suspicious package prompted a partial evacuation of the Beach Hut and Academic Services building yesterday. According to University Police Sergeant Keith Caires, police received the call from Beach Hut staff at 1:13 ... Read More »

New online sales tax law will rub Amazon users the wrong way

Shane Newell
September 9, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Sept. 15 will be a date that will live in infamy. It will be the day that Amazon will start to collect sales tax from California residents. For many loyal Amazon customers, it came as a shock that the retail giant was the target of a new California law requiring online retailers to charge... Read More »

New bill promises collective bargaining for grad assistants

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under News

Research assistants from the University of California and California State University systems may soon be able to unionize. The California State Senate passed Senate Bill 259 - a bill aimed to expand collective bargaining rights for more research assistants - on Aug. 23 with a vote of 46-27. SB... Read More »

Voter ID law in Texas would restrict the opportunity to vote

Shane Newell
September 4, 2012
Filed under Opinions

As a 19-year-old college student, I have absolutely no faith in government. That's why it came as a shock to me when a U.S. court struck down a highly controversial Texas ID law last week. The proposed law called for all voters to carry at least one of five forms of ID to vote. According... Read More »

California Universities may become anti-social with new legislation

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 30, 2012
Filed under News

The California State Senate voted unanimously last week in favor of a resolution designed to ban all California universities from asking for access to students' social media accounts. Senate Bill 1349 is designed to allow students to maintain their privacy, the bill's author Sen. Leland Yee... Read More »

The Republican National Convention is unbearable to watch

Shane Newell
August 29, 2012
Filed under Opinions

People in their right mind know that the Republican Party, or "Grand Old Party" as its known to its blindly loyal followers, is in shambles. A party that has no backbone and seems to only be concerned with letting the rich get richer is circling the drain after its announcement of who would... Read More »

CSULB makes Princeton Review’s 2013 ‘Best in the West’ list

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 29, 2012
Filed under News

Despite statewide budget cuts and an uncertain financial future, Cal State Long Beach was named as one of Princeton Review's 'Best in the West' colleges of 2013. CSULB was one of 121 colleges in the Western U.S.... Read More »

“Mark and Brian” retirement a loss for quality radio shows

Shane Newell
August 26, 2012
Filed under Opinions

"You had your time, you had the power, you've yet to have your finest hour," wrote Roger Taylor of Queen in 1984. In Queen's famous ode ("Radio Ga Ga"), Taylor spoke of his love for the radio and the power of its message: unity. Sadly, radio lost two of its greatest pioneers: Mark Thompson... Read More »

Study shows students face more loan debt, CSULB suffers less

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 16, 2012
Filed under News

Paying off school loans is a challenge for thousands of students nationwide, but according to a newly released report, students who come from upper-middle-income homes are going deeper into the red. The Wall Street Journal report conducted an analysis of Federal Reserve data and found that... Read More »

American television shows pale in comparison to British shows

Shane Newell
August 15, 2012
Filed under Opinions

There are a lot of things that the Brits do better than Americans. Great Britain has consistently produced better music, fashion and comedy than its Atlantic counterpart. After watching many lame American TV shows ("America's Got Talent," the new "Two And A Half Men" and "Jersey Shore"),... Read More »

New Domino’s Pizza to open in University Dining Plaza

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 9, 2012
Filed under News

This article corrects the future location of the new Domino's Pizza on campus. Fans of Domino's Pizza may soon rejoice. A second Domino's Pizza will open in place of Quiznos in the University Dining Plaza, according to ... Read More »

CSU campuses limit enrollment, only 10 to accept students

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 9, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

With recent budget cuts and the possibility of a $250 million trigger cut in November, the Cal State University has announced that only 10 of its 23 campuses will accept new students for spring 2013. The exact number of students that the 10 campuses will admit in 2013 remains unclear. Most... Read More »

The U.S. should make space exploration a priority again

Shane Newell
August 8, 2012
Filed under Opinions, Top Stories

The 1960s were quite a turbulent time in American history. The Vietnam War, psychedelic drugs and the evolution of rock music dominated much of the news in the decade. More important than these events were the birth of "Star Trek" in September... Read More »

“Shopping sheet” reveals the real price of college

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
August 1, 2012
Filed under News

The U.S. Department of Education released a financial aid "shopping sheet" Tuesday, which is designed to help students understand and compare the costs of attending various universities. The shopping sheet, which will go into effect fall 2013, will allow students to easily see the net cost... Read More »

NBC’s Olympic coverage is not up to par with the games themselves

Shane Newell
August 1, 2012
Filed under Opinions

The 2012 Summer Olympics is not what it was promised to be, not by a long shot. Delayed streams and notable omissions have characterized what many have called a "lackluster" Olympic summer. In an era where professional sports dominate TV markets, it's time for the Olympics to step up... Read More »

New bill to allow texting and driving in California

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
July 26, 2012
Filed under News

California drivers will soon be able to text while driving, as long as they use a device that is both hands-free and voice-activated. Gov. Jerry Brown has signed Assembly Bill 1536 into law, allowing drivers to use phone or car programs to... Read More »

Foundation Building elevators may re-open by fall 2012

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
July 26, 2012
Filed under News

The Foundation Building's elevators may soon re-open for the first time since the elevator accident that resulted in a Cal State Long Beach employee's death in December 2011. The elevators may be re-opened as soon as the end of August, according to Associate Vice President of Physical Planning... Read More »

Downloading music illegally should be frowned upon by all

Shane Newell
July 25, 2012
Filed under Opinions

There are very few things in today's age that I can't stand. They include but are not limited to: grown men who drive Barbie-sized Mazda Miatas; mothers who verbally and physically scold their children in line at the grocery store; and... Read More »

New trend at Cal State Fullerton may blow smoke out of CSULB

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
July 19, 2012
Filed under News

Cal State Fullerton will be the first Cal State University to ban smoking entirely, starting August 2013. The university is one of many in the nation that has recently adopted smoke-free laws. CSUF's new policy will eliminate smoking on... Read More »

Penn State should tear down the Joe Paterno statue on campus

Shane Newell
July 18, 2012
Filed under Opinions

The Joe Paterno statue outside Penn State football's Beaver Stadium should be taken down immediately. Joe Paterno, the famous Penn State football coach who won 409 games, has had... Read More »

Student loans may be forgiven after 10 years

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
July 11, 2012
Filed under News

Those with various forms of student loans may soon find relief through a bill designed to alleviate the growing burdens attached to student debt. The Student Loans and Forgiveness Act of 2012, introduced by Rep. Hansen Clarke (D-Mich) in March, is designed to help current students and recent... Read More »

Some Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees don’t deserve the honor

Shane Newell
July 11, 2012
Filed under Opinions

It's official, folks. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a complete and utter joke.  After years of passing over rock artists like Rush and Journey, it's time for the HoF to wake up and vote in artists that are integral to rock and roll's... Read More »

Student loans bill passes, interest rates fixed

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
July 4, 2012
Filed under News

Congress passed a student loans bill Friday, preventing interest rates from doubling on direct Stafford loans and saving millions of dollars for many college students. The bill, which passed in the House 373-52 and in the Senate 74-19, will keep the interest rate on direct subsidized Stafford... Read More »

Ann Curry’s departure from ‘Today’ show had an ulterior motive

Shane Newell
July 3, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Journalism is like any other business, though few seem to realize it.  Ann Curry's departure from the 'Today' show last week was merely a business move. Nothing more, nothing less. Many fans of 'Today' were shocked last week when they tuned in to see a teary-eyed, red-faced Curry bidding... Read More »

CSULB Engineering students participate in global competition

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
June 28, 2012
Filed under News

Two Cal State Long Beach engineering students finished as one of the top teams Friday in an international engineering and business competition that took place in Paris. The competition, called Go Green In The City, featured CSULB students... Read More »

Proposition 29 cigarette tax failing by narrow margin

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
June 28, 2012
Filed under News

Supporters of Proposition 29 have admitted defeat after nearly three weeks of vote counting. The California ballot initiative was designed to raise the tax on cigarette packs by $1 to fund cancer research. Although the official vote count will not be released until early July, supporters of... Read More »

Steroid use in cycling is leading to a decline in interest in the sport

Shane Newell
June 27, 2012
Filed under Opinions

The 99th Tour de France begins Saturday after one of cycling's most eventful offseasons. Since last year's tour, three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has been suspended for using steroids and Lance Armstrong has been accused of doping by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. After... Read More »

Cal OSHA report cites ‘human misjudgment’ as factor in elevator death

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
June 27, 2012
Filed under News

After a six-month investigation, a newly released report has cited human "misjudgment of a hazardous situation" as a factor in an accident when a 48-year-old Cal State Long Beach employee was crushed in an elevator. California Occupational Safety and Health Administration conducted trials... Read More »

More than $1 million spent on CSU presidents’ home renovations

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
June 21, 2012
Filed under News

More than $1 million in public and private funds have been used to renovate the homes of a few Cal State University presidents in the past year. The renovations, which took place for Cal State Fullerton, San Diego State, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Cal State Northridge presidents, all happened... Read More »

Apple should consider revising its policy on product embargoes

Shane Newell
June 20, 2012
Filed under Opinions

Apple's creation of the iPad was brilliant; Apple's decision to not sell an iPad to an American woman because she spoke Farsi was not. An Apple Store in Alpharetta, Georgia, refused to sell a woman an Apple product after they overheard her speak Farsi, the language of Iran, a country Apple... Read More »

The Miami Heat should consider breaking up the Big Three

Shane Newell
June 13, 2012
Filed under Opinions

It's true that money can't buy you happiness. It's also true that money can't buy you an NBA championship, as shown by the Miami Heat. After Game 1's disappointing loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder Tuesday, it's clear that the Miami Heat's "Big Three" should be broken up. The Big Three,... Read More »

Summer courses help students get ahead

Shane Newell, Assistant City Editor
May 21, 2012
Filed under News

For many Cal State Long Beach students, summer is a time to get ahead on the following year's courses. The courses offered this summer are high demand or bottleneck courses, according to Jeet Joshee,... Read More »

Author talks popularity of tacos, burritos in US

Shane Newell, Staff Writer
May 7, 2012
Filed under News

Gustavo Arellano, author of the "Ask A Mexican" column in the OC Weekly, visited Cal State Long Beach on Wednesday to discuss the origins of his new book, "Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered ... Read More »

Theatre arts students face enrollment obstacles due to unit cap

Shane Newell, Staff Writer
April 24, 2012
Filed under News

Some theatre arts students may have to reduce the number of classes they take or shows they perform in due to the 16-unit cap beginning next semester. According to Joanne Gordon, chair of the Department of Theatre Arts at Cal State Long Beach, students involved in shows must take a one-unit... Read More »

Vietnam war vet talks life in CSULB creative writing graduate program

Shane Newell, Contributing Writer
April 12, 2012
Filed under News

Kevin Chidgey, a student in Cal State Long Beach's masters of fine arts creative writing program, has proven that it is never too late to continue your education. Chidgey, a retired electrician, is in the process of obtaining his master's degree, after more than three decades of working in... Read More »

Faculty use textbook service to save student money

Shane Newell, Staff Writer
March 13, 2012
Filed under News

Students aren't the only ones searching for the lowest priced textbooks - faculty, like economics professor Lisa Grobar, are looking too.  In 2010, the Cal State University started the Affordable Learning Solutions Campaign in an effort... Read More »

High gas prices leave students fuming

Shane Newell, Staff Writer
March 6, 2012
Filed under News

Some Cal State Long Beach students are being forced to re-evaluate their spring break plans as well as their normal driving habits due to increased gas prices. The United States Energy Information Administration reported Monday that the price of a gallon of regular unleaded gas on the West... Read More »

Former Long Beach police officer pens romantic-suspense novel

Shane Newell, Contributing Writer
January 31, 2012
Filed under News

After a 22-year career in law enforcement, Cal State Long Beach graduate Janice Cantore has decided to become a writer. Her first novel, a romantic-suspense work entitled "Accused," will hit bookstores next month. It is the first of three... Read More »