A domestic pause cannot be replicated overseas, and the debate drones on

Paige Pelonis, Editor-in-Chief
July 23, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Noise and safety. They sound like reasonable priorities, especially if the topic of interest happens to be drones, excuse me, “unmanned aircrafts.” If the National Park Service can get the ball rolling on a temporary ban on small-scale, personal-use drones within the area of a national park purely... Read more »

Rumors of Prospector Pete’s death are greatly exaggerated

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
July 21, 2014
Filed under News

Despite the implications of recent local headlines, Cal State Long Beach will hold onto its iconic mascot, and its historic nickname of Prospector Pete and the 49ers'. The recent media buzz, which indicated that the mascot and the nickname might be "on the chopping block," as the Long beach Press... Read more »

Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Editor

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
July 17, 2014
Filed under Opinions

In June, the Daily 49er published this cartoon:   The image is a well-drawn gibe at the long-debated Affirmative Consent Bill, or SB 967. When this cartoon was published, it went along with an “Our View” article, which reflected the Daily 49er staff’s majority opinion about the pending... Read more »

Newly-Elected Mayor Robert Garcia of Long Beach comes to campus

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
July 17, 2014
Filed under News

Robert Garcia, the new mayor of Long Beach, will visit Cal State Long Beach on Friday to launch his first term in office, emphasizing a firm connection between Long Beach’s educational institutions and economy. Garcia, who was inaugurated as mayor on Tuesday, will be on campus to discuss his policy... Read more »

CSU names Loretta Lamb new vice chancellor for human resources

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
July 9, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Starting September, the California State University system will have Loretta Lamb as the new vice chancellor for human resources, according to a press release from the office of CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White. The release indicates that Lamb will report directly to the chancellor as a part of his... Read more »

Long Beach remains safer than “safe and sane” on Independence Day

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
July 3, 2014
Filed under News

Without exception, fireworks are illegal in the city of Long Beach. Despite related inquiries last January Long Beach district 8 councilmember Al Austin, the City Ordinance that bans the use of all fireworks in the city remained in place for this year. With Independence Day coming up Friday, several... Read more »

CSULB Latino cultural events coming up this week

Paige Pelonis, Editor in Chief
June 25, 2014
Filed under News

It may be summer time, but the National Council of La Raza-California State University, Long Beach Center for Latino Community Health, Evaluation and Leadership Training is not taking a break from bringing culture to Long Beach. On Friday, June 28, the center will host “Noche cultural,” an evening... Read more »

Long Beach dancers, Portland music and a Hollywood stage closed the show

Paige Pelonis , Editor in Chief
June 25, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

Pink Martini music, theatrical jazz dancing and hipster-style costumes made the Cal State Long Beach dance department proud in the So Cal Dance Invitational last Friday. Andy Vaca, the chair of the dance department, choreographed a lively dance piece he wrote was the perfect finale for a top-notch... Read more »

CSULB dance department chair brings Long Beach dancers to Hollywood

Paige Pelonis, Editor-in-Chief
June 18, 2014
Filed under News, Showcase

After 25 years of teaching at Cal State Long Beach, 19 premiered original dance masterpieces and two hip replacements, Andy Vaca’s latest choreography will be used to close this year’s So Cal Dance Invitational on Friday at the Ford Amphitheater. Vaca, chair of the CSULB department of dance, jokingly... Read more »

Next to Normal breaks the musical mold

Paige Pelonis , Assistant Opinions Editor
May 5, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Diversions, Reviews, Showcase, Theater

The Cal State Long Beach Theatre Arts Department and California Repertory production of Next to Normal could literally do no wrong. Dominated by the light and ease of actor Alexander Pimental, the production was well worth the audience’s standing ovation. This is not your typical musical; it does... Read more »

Doubt…or confusion?

Doubt…or confusion?

May 4, 2014

The lights went down in the Beach Auditorium just a few minutes after 8 p.m., the promised starting time of the attempted adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize winning play, Doubt: A Parable. The show was directed by Jay Dent, a Cal State Long Beach senior theatre major as part of her thesis for the... Read more »

Why I have no travel plans

Paige Pelonis, Assistant Opinions Editor
April 16, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Summer is approaching, will you be traveling? Or will you let recent events scare you into staying home for three long months? I find myself leaning more towards the latter, and my stance has been swayed by tragic examples from around the world and close to home. Tuesday night, my smartphone’s CNN... Read more »

Hazing sheds negative light on ‘greek life’

April 13, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Ever heard the phrase, ‘It’s all Greek to me?’ Basically, it means that something doesn’t make sense, and no phrase could better depict my sentiment toward university campus Greek communities, especially as of late. Although I recognize that many Greek organizations have devoted much of their... Read more »

A little bit of restraint is necessary

April 7, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Weed and the like tend to fill the pockets of a myriad of high school students. But it’s not everyday that a teacher asks a student to hand over his or her illegal substance of choice in the middle of a classroom. This did happen, however, last Friday at Santa Monica High School and a video of the... Read more »

Mishandled Malaysia Mystery

March 24, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Monday morning the media, along with Malaysian leadership, spread the latest bit of news in this story — that is, they announced that the location of the airplane is clearly known, and the fate of the passengers on board is definitively tragic. With phrases of ambiguity like “allegedly,” and “fairly... Read more »

A quality show bogged down

A quality show bogged down

March 24, 2014

Perhaps cat-lovers had more in common with “By the Bog of Cats”, but aside from the elaborate set and the movement piece in the closing of the play, CSULB’s production of the 1998 play, by Marina Carr, left much to be desired. Loosely based on the Greek tragedy of Medea, the play tells the story... Read more »

Quiet down critics, Katy Perry roars

Quiet down critics, Katy Perry roars

March 19, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

If I were a hot, talented musician, would I care about feminism? Probably not. So why is the media so concerned with the fact that Katy Perry doesn’t appear to care much about it? The media has been tracking Perry and her “aversion to feminism,” as an article from The Atlantic put it, for at... Read more »

‘Red Light Winter’ is poorly written, but was well-played

March 17, 2014

The protagonist’s explanation of the play he is currently writing is lobbed in the middle of the first act of “Red Light Winter,” the play by Adam Rapp that was staged on campus from the end of February through Sunday. In the description, a train crash leaves a young boy in a coma. Years later,... Read more »

Pit bulls are not people .. or are they?

March 17, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

When someone abuses a child, in any shape or form, public outcry seldom sides with the abuser. Beating a child in the face and rendering him or her with a broken eye socket, cheek bone and lower jaw is depraved, animal-like behavior that would result in legal consequences for the offender. Change... Read more »

Sexist media knocks on Belle Knox

Sexist media knocks on Belle Knox

March 16, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Porn is as porn does, meaning a person who consumes sexual content is as much a part of the industry as the content itself. Porn-consuming individuals across the country fantasize about the men and women they watch before bed and the dirty things they say and do, almost forgetting that they are watching... Read more »

LASD dogs are conditioned by their handlers

March 5, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Toward the end of 2013, an interesting question was raised: Are Los Angeles police dogs racist? Several news blogs and publications reported that a recent report on the Canine Special Detail of the LA Sherriff’s Department (LASD) found that these dogs had a pattern of biting “minority individuals”... Read more »

The trying times of trilogies

The trying times of trilogies

March 4, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

If parents love their first child and think the world does too, they have another, and then another … and sometimes even another … do those additional children run the risk of being labeled unoriginal or even disappointing? This may be what happens in the Hollywood box office, but I’m the youngest... Read more »

Forget the critics, Madison Rising screams patriotism

March 2, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Next time you go on YouTube, which will probably be any minute now, make sure you search “Madison Rising rocks National Anthem.” Watch this before you waste time checking out more funny cat videos, and judge the performance for yourself. Madison Rising calls itself “America’s most patriotic... Read more »

Knockout game is an over publicized form of gross bullying

Paige Pelonis, Staff Writer
February 24, 2014
Filed under Uncategorized

Tap someone in the face and you are annoying; punch someone in the face and you’re a Knockout King and a YouTube star. At least, that’s what some in the media might lead you to believe. A fairly recent phenomenon called the Knockout Game has earned itself a sizeable media presence. The concept... Read more »

‘Artivism’ inspires social change

‘Artivism’ inspires social change

Paige Pelonis, Staff Writer
February 23, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

There is sometimes a concern that an arts degree will not amount to much productivity in a world where talent alone is enough for artists to compete without wasting time in college “studying” art. This was a huge question I faced before deciding to opt out of a degree in theater. There... Read more »

The death of cursive in grade schools

The death of cursive in grade schools

Paige Pelonis, Contributing Writer
February 19, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

In elementary school, I learned to write in cursive. Now in college, I don’t even buy pens as a school supply because I type everything. Thank goodness that’s the case or else no one would be able to read my work! But, this brings up a pretty common, though fairly useless, debate: Should students... Read more »

Dogs move in, leaving local ducks pondless in El Dorado Park

Paige Pelonis, Contributing Writer
February 10, 2014
Filed under Columns, Opinions

If your living space were suddenly cut in half to make room for the arrival of large numbers of loud, flea-ridden guests, would you relocate? A number of assorted birds, long-time residents in Long Beach’s El Dorado Regional Park East, might do just that in response to the opening of the newly completed... Read more »

AT&T takes a stand for human equality at the Olympics

Paige Pelonis , Contributing Writer
February 9, 2014
Filed under Opinions

The 21st century is dominated by technology, even in the realm of human rights. And its a tech company, AT&T, that is leading the movement for equality in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. That’s right. It’s AT&T, not the Human Rights Watch, the International Olympic Committee... Read more »

The green movement needs to avoid condescending others

Paige Pelonis
April 28, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

This morning the librarian asked me if I wanted a receipt. I said no. He said, "Good for you." This is odd. This is the green movement at its pinnacle of condescension. First of all, if every cashier would simply stop offering a receipt, the issue of wasted paper as a result of a transaction... Read more »

Hiding true feelings from acquaintances lets people retain control

Paige Pelonis and Paige Pelonis
April 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

When others know exactly how you feel, they have the control. This is true for children, and this is true for adults. Your third grade crush had no power until he saw you doodling your names together inside a heart on the side of your homework. Once that happens, it's all over. The bullies... Read more »

Paige Pelonis and Paige Pelonis
April 22, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Women’s accusations of rape are not taken seriously today

Paige Pelonis
April 10, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

The CNN headline read, "Canadian teen commits suicide after alleged rape, bullying." The article that followed told the story of 17-year-old Rehtaeh Parsons who tried to hang herself more than a year after she reported that she had been gang-raped... Read more »

All women should have access to emergency contraceptives

Paige Pelonis
April 8, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Thank god for over-the-counter Plan B. As of April, a court ruling allows for females of all ages to have access to emergency contraception without a prescription. This is excellent news as it means that minors finally have access to preventing unintended pregnancy in the event of unprotected sex. As... Read more »

Heterosexual conservatives are too proud to share marriage

Paige Pelonis
March 27, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

When the idea of suffrage was expanded in the U.S. to include people of all races, genders, religions, etc., the country was asked to adjust to the idea that suffrage, which had previously applied to a more limited group of individuals, included everyone. Guess what? The country survived. The... Read more »

Easter and its traditions are examples of how we mold our faith

Paige Pelonis
March 26, 2013
Filed under Columns, Opinions

Easter is a moveable feast. This means it does not take place on the same day every year. Technically, this is a product of the Council of Nicaea in A.D. 325, which determined that Easter day would take place the Sunday immediately following... Read more »

Students need to exercise their power to vote in ASI elections

Paige Pelonis
March 20, 2013
Filed under Opinions

In the wake of the 2012 presidential election, Cal State Long Beach students are faced yet again with the age-old question of the importance of voting. If more CSULB students vote in the Associated Students Inc. election than they did in the presidential... Read more »

Our gluttonous society eats up advice without looking for context

Paige Pelonis
March 10, 2013
Filed under Opinions

Wake up and spend one minute smiling before getting out of bed; this is how you guarantee that you will start your day in a good mood. Spend some time focusing on your breathing before going to bed; this is how you ensure that you will sleep through the night without much discomfort. Suppress any... Read more »

Procrastination is not as bad as most people make it out to be

Paige Pelonis
March 6, 2013
Filed under Opinions

They say you shouldn't put off for tomorrow what you could do today. Anyone can complete a research paper in a matter of weeks or days even, but it takes skill and determination to lose track of time, bang your head against a wall and then still manage to crank out five or more pages in a matter... Read more »

The Harlem Shake’s popularity is positively impacting our culture

Paige Pelonis
March 4, 2013
Filed under Opinions

If sex is what sells, then what in the world is happening with the Harlem Shake of 2013? People are literally going out of their way to be as unappealing as possible or so it would seem. Yet, this is the No. 1 ranked YouTube video explosion since last year's ... Read more »

Assuming you know how to find it, kill the introductory phrase

Paige Pelonis
February 27, 2013
Filed under Opinions

When writing for a highly diverse audience, it is difficult to hold everyone's interest. That being said, it's safe to add that introductory phrases, no matter how well-crafted, just get in the way. In the event that all introductory word groups were forbidden from formal writing, clarity and brevity... Read more »

Syrian women’s military situation belittles that of US women

Paige Pelonis
February 25, 2013
Filed under Opinions

If we rape them, they will serve. At least this much is true in Syria, a nation whose president has recruited more women into the National Defense Force in recent months than ever before. The legitimacy of reported rapes in Syria is a point of contention between President ... Read more »

Bladerunner’s defense may not stand strong against prosecution

Paige Pelonis
February 19, 2013
Filed under Opinions

It's people like Oscar Pistorius who paint Valentine's Day red for everyone, though not in the traditional sense. The South African Olympic sprinter has been all over international headlines since Thursday night, and a dead girlfriend and... Read more »

Wrestling is a core sport that should remain in Olympic games

Paige Pelonis
February 18, 2013
Filed under Opinions

It would be nice to know the real reason behind the removal of wrestling from the 2020 Olympic games. The International Olympic Committee, which made the decision, said the event is one of the least viewed Olympic events on television. The IOC said it hopes to replace wrestling, one... Read more »

Valentine’s Day is commercialized, morphed from original intent

Paige Pelonis
February 12, 2013
Filed under Opinions

From the crusades to the scandals under cardinal Roger Mahony, the Roman Catholic Church can't catch a break. It's almost no wonder that Pope Benedict XVI is resigning from leading the mess. Not to worry though, because in light of all... Read more »

Cardinal Mahony will forever be synonymous with child abuse

Paige Pelonis
February 7, 2013
Filed under Opinions

It might be time for Californians to stop looking to improve the education system and instead appreciate the fact that they didn't go to school in the same conditions as the former Cardinal Roger Mahony. In all of his elementary, secondary, undergraduate... Read more »

Humans search for pain in order to make themselves feel better

Paige Pelonis, Contributing Writer
February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinions

The idea that pain is sexy, exciting or enjoyable is a first-world thrill. When pain is real, so too is imminent danger. Without any immediate threat to one's daily routine, fists full of hair ripped from someone's head during a hallway cat fight is pleasurable not only to watch, but for some, to... Read more »

Hollywood actors and movie stars display clear differences

Paige Pelonis
January 29, 2013
Filed under Opinions

What distinguishes a movie star from an actor? In brief, the answer is acceptance speeches. The 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards on Sunday was one of many nights in Hollywood when performers of all kinds distinguish themselves as an... Read more »