Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Sports, Uncategorized

LBSU to take on Seton Hall in Charleston Classic

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team is primed for some Southern hospitality as they take on Seton Hall in the first round of the Gildan Charleston Classic this Thursday in Charleston, North Carolina.

The 49ers (2-0) are fresh off a marquee win against BYU on ESPN2, while Seton Hall’s last game resulted in a 69-59 victory over Wagner.

Sophomore guard Isaiah Whitehead will be the key focal point of LBSU’s defense. Whitehead enters the game averaging 18 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists. Senior transfer Derrick Gordon (12.5 ppg), is another offensive weapon that gives Seton Hall (2-0) a lot of speed and production, while forward Desi Rodriguez (13.5 ppg) will also be counted on in the post.

49er head coach Dan Monson will once again rely on senior guard and explosive scorer Nick Faust (12 ppg, 7.4 rpg) to provide some backcourt offense, and forward Roschon Prince (12.5 ppg) is expected to command the frontcourt. Noah Blackwell, Travis Hammonds and Branford Jones, who are averaging a combined 30.5 points per game, will be expected to provide a spark off the bench to offset the Pirates’ speed.

Thursday’s game will be the first ever match-up between the two programs. The winner will advance to the second round to play the winner of Virginia/Bradley. Each team is guaranteed three games in the tournament.

The 49ers face Seton Hall as part of the Glidden Charleston Classic on Thursday at 4 p.m. PT on ESPNU.