News, Uncategorized

Crime blotter

Police make arrest for assault and robbery

Lt. Richard Goodwin of University Police said that a female student was punched in the face for her cell phone at Beachside on Nov. 19 around 1 p.m. The suspect broke the student’s cell phone by dropping it on the ground. The student described the suspect as a black male wearing a black shirt with a white shirt underneath and wearing bright green pants. Police arrested the suspect, 24-year old Quassim Rashid Watson at nearby apartments on Ximeno Ave., and charged him for a felony involving robbery and vandalism. The suspect isn’t affiliated with the university, according to Goodwin.

Stolen credit card used near Beachside

A male student reported that his wallet had gone missing and someone was using his credit card across the street from Beachside on Nov. 18 at 6:15 p.m., Goodwin said. The student accidentally left his wallet on a Beachside shuttle. Police believe that the suspect was captured on video at the business where the stolen credit card was used. Detectives are currently investigating the matter.

Thieves aimed to strike at some bikes

According to Goodwin, a student reported his bike tires stolen from the north side of the University Student Union on Nov. 20 at 8:42 a.m. The tires are priced to be $60 each.

Another victim of bicycle tire theft reported witnessing a thief riding off on a bike with his tires at Liberal Arts 5 on Nov. 17 at 5:45 p.m. According to Goodwin, the suspect is described as a white male in his 40s to 50s, wearing a dark baggy clothes and wearing a red beanie.

Another student reported a bike theft on Nov. 18 around 4:45 p.m. at the Child Development Center, Goodwin said. The victim described the bike as a $50 red and orange Thruster Freestyle BMX that was locked with a cable lock. The victim provided University Police his bike’s serial number after the incident, but he had not registered it with them beforehand. Goodwin recommends that bike owners register their bicycle serial numbers with University Police for easier tracking.

Goodwin said that another student reported her bike missing at the College of Business and Administration on Nov. 30 at 7:12 a.m. The stolen property is described as a $400-500 all-white bicycle with a basket and a large pink bottle. The victim said that she locked the bike with a cable lock at the bike racks at 3:15 p.m. on Nov. 29, and she later returned to the racks at 7 p.m. when she discovered it missing.

Stealing at the gym

A female student reported her belongings stolen from her locker in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on Nov. 17 at 3 p.m. Goodwin described the stolen belongings as a black leather purse with an iPad and a wallet inside.

Robber takes larger number of rubbers

A person reported that 100 condoms and posters were taken from the Social Sciences/Public Administration building on Nov. 16 between 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The reporting party said that the posters were ripped down from the walls and the condoms were free, so University Police listed this down as “no crime,” Goodwin said.