Letters to the Editor, Opinions, Uncategorized

Letter to the Editor

Oh, well, you know, I think you really blew it on that rather sophomoric op­ed piece of yours that

was printed in last week’s edition of Daily 49er. Reading it, what I got from all your tongue­in-
cheek irony was that no damage to our prestige over the past eight years has occurred, that our

national security is not compromised by a porous border, that neither China nor terrorism are

posing any sort of problems or dangers to the U.S., and that if you think otherwise, then you

must not be real with­it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that was the gist that I got from reading

your piece, which, if my interpretation is valid, you really just used an ad hominem argument.

And if I am way off­base with my interpretation, then maybe I missed something in the cutesy

style you wrote it in.

And then your statement “He will make America white…err, great, again.” All this is a blatant

swipe against white people; and if you try to say it isn’t, I don’t think any self­respecting person

who was born white should believe your denial. But, don’t get me wrong, please. I’m glad you

said this. Thank you. People like you who make such irresponsible statements just validate the

suspicion of nobody knows how many millions of white people (reading newspapers, listening to

the radio, perusing the internet, etc.), in a country of 300+ millions of people, that that there is

an agenda afoot against whites. I’ve seen Daily 49er staff members fired for littler sh*t than that,

when the slight was directed at some non­white group.

Have you considered the possibility of a strong undercurrent of discontent with the status quo

on the part of the European­descended population of this country that may one day bite it right

in the ass? When all Trump seems to need to do is make statements in favor of closing the

border to keep out hordes of people who present more of a burden than an asset to society, and

for vetting entrants into the U.S. whose religious ideology has shown them to be bent on killing

and hurting a whole bunch of people, and then watch his popularity ratings soar through the

roof, then maybe he and those who support him need to be viewed with other than cynicism.

John P. Reidy; CSULB alumnus, December 1985.