News, Uncategorized

On the issues: College education

Ted Cruz

Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has said he would like to abolish the U.S. Department of Education. He also believes that colleges should end racial preferences for admission.

“Today, by a 7-1 vote, the Supreme Court vacated the lower court ruling [in Fisher v. University of Texas] upholding the University of Texas’s use of racial preferences in admissions. Discriminating because of race is wrong, and this was a victory for our color-blind Constitution. In recent years, universities have made major strides to expand admissions for minorities and low-income students, working hard for the American dream. Universities should continue to do so, expanding opportunity for everyone–but that can be accomplished without discriminating on the basis of race.”

Bernie Sanders

For Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., government subsidized education has been a major platform issue. He believes that college debt is crushing recent graduates. In the meantime, he would like to see interest rates on student loans decreased significantly.

“A college degree today is the equivalent of what a high school degree was 50 years ago. What we said 50 years ago is that every kid in this country should be able to get a high school education regardless of the income of their family. I think we have to say that is true for everybody going to college. I pay for my program through a tax on Wall Street speculation, which will not only make public colleges and universities tuition-free, it will substantially lower interest rates on college debt.”

Advertisement – (Story continues below)

twitters500-x500_

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, D, said she would like college to be debt-free for students in February. Though she would not make college free for everyone, she has said that community college should be free. Clinton would provide more funding to universities by matching the federal contribution to that of the state.  

“I believe in affordable college, but I don’t believe in free college, because every expert that I have talked to says how will you control the costs. I want to make sure middle class kids, not Donald Trump’s kids can afford college. The numbers don’t add up, from what Senator Sanders has been proposing. That’s why all the independent experts that have vetted both of us have concluded that it is not achievable. Let’s go down a path where we tell people what we will do. A progressive is someone who makes progress. That’s what I intend to do.”

John Kasich

John Kasich, R, is a proponent of online classes. To solve the student debt crisis, Kasich as said schools should sell their parking lots to private companies and use the money to fund the cost of student education. He would also like to redirect AmeriCorps funding to higher education.

“With lower costs, and a freeze on tuition, more students can afford college, hopefully finish without the huge debts. And we have $120 million in this student debt relief fund. Honestly, I think it’s like a thimble in the ocean. We know how tough it is. We know you have a lot of debt. We want to do something to help you. It could be related to the fact that if you take an in-demand job and you stay in Ohio for five years, we’ll give you the help you want. We think it’s absolutely critical.”

Donald Trump

Donald Trump, R, who started Trump University in 2005 to teach people “the art of deal-making,” has said he would cut the Department of Education significantly.  The New York Department of Education complained about Trump University, so he changed the name to Trump Entrepreneur Initiative in 2010.

“Our public schools have grown up in a competition-free zone, surrounded by a very high union wall. Why aren’t we shocked at the results? After all, teachers’ unions are motivated by the same desires that move the rest of us. With more than 85 percent of their soft-money donations going to Democrats, teachers’ unions know they can count on the politician they back to take a strong stand against school choice.”

*This article is part of a weekly series informing students of where candidates stand on the issues for the 2016 presidential elections.
**All information comes from Ontheissues.org, a nonprofit that keeps track of candidate voting records and public statements.