Arts & Life, Film & Television

Damn ladies, back at it again

Whether life imitates art or art imitates life, the introspective questions of the past don’t always matter. Especially not when art looks so fashionable. Films, in particular, have a habit of influencing a wide realm of people and cultivating ideas regarding romance, friendship and, of course, fashion.

“Clueless” (1995)

Dionne:

Every (wait for the cringe) honorary ‘90s baby is, by association, an honorary “Clueless” baby. The cult classic strutted past theaters nationwide, and since then, isn’t it “totally classic”? The film is noted not only for the absurdly funny lines and commentary on upper-class Los Angeles, but also its fashion. Though the three female protagonists (Cher, Tai and Dionne) all sport their own tailored styles, Dionne (played by Stacey Dash) stands out; her knee-high socks and dramatic Peter Pan collar compose a totally snarky girl-next-door style. Her character dishes out looks ranging from absurd “Cat in the Hat”-esque box hats to dainty crochet beanies. Either way, her combination of black Mary Jane’s and a velvet microskirt speak to 2016 fashion trends.

“Heathers” (1998)

Veronica:

We know “Heathers” — our mothers probably know “Heathers” —- we might have even been introduced to “Heathers” by our mothers, depending on our age. No matter how we were introduced to “Heathers,” it doesn’t change the fact that this film is regarded as perhaps the pinnacle of black comedy. Though the actual Heathers don rigid menswear blazers for most of the film, their suits are glitzed out with various brooches, pins and stylishly severe collars. And  Veronica Sawyer, what can we say about Veronica Sawyer? Besides being an inadvertent murderer and a non-Heather, she stands out among the remainder of the Heathers not only for her deadpan humor and good heart, but also her stunning blue ensembles. In particular, the high-waisted skirt and black deep V-neck that she sports while accidentally partaking in the murder or two repressed jocks? Absolute glamour punk heaven.

“Léon: The Professional” (1994)

Mathilda:

Mathilda is a personal favorite of mine for numerous reasons. From her combat boots to her severe raven-black hair, Mathilda invests in a particular niche of fashion. Steampunk vigilante girl, perhaps? Though characterized as being 12 years old, there’s something inexplicably (and morbidly) fascinating about watching a little girl wield pistols and beg her elder companion to teach her how to be a hitman in order to avenge her little brother. The plot is cool enough, and the fashion is cooler. Mirroring what appears to be a slightly edgier ragdoll, the costume design team must have had some kind of psychic lens, because it just so happens that Mathilda’s chokers and shit-stomping combat boots are just what the doctor ordered in 2016.

Advertisement – (Story continues below.)

CSULB_Social_Media_Ad_Elements

“Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (1961)

Holly:

An oldie but goodie, Holly Golightly’s fashion ensembles are reminiscent of alcoholic drinks. Whether she’s wearing her severe, slinky black dress and pearls (a flute of champagne) or a rumpled white button-down and embellished teal eye cover (a fruit martini), Audrey Hepburn’s classically dazzling doe eyes are the satin bow on each one of her manicured mod styles.

“The Breakfast Club” (1985)

Allison:

Most of us know Allison as that weird, creepy girl in the ‘80s classic “The Breakfast Club.” If you’re like some of us, you indulged all too much in Allison’s vaguely morbid one-liners, and her rumpled sweaters, pants and tights give us a look into ‘80s androgynous fashion for the youth of the time. And with the way she skulks about the (tentatively) empty halls of Shermer High School, you can’t help but envy the probable comfort Allison indulges in. Bedhead and soft-soled sneakers, the ultimate college outfit. Allison must be ahead of her time.

Honorable mention: “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” (1990-1996)

Ashley:

I know, I know. “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” is a television show, not a movie —- but the incredibly forward-thinking fashion that begins with Hillary Banks’ power suits and pencil skirts and ends with Ashley Banks’ mini dresses and slouchy beanies deserves an honorable mention. Smart, capable and eccentric (like the rest of her family), Ashley in particular rocks her many french-seamed button-downs to a T, merging high society Bel-Air with ‘90s hip-hop culture.

Heathers: 1988, not 1998.