Arts & Life, Features, Fine & Performing Arts

No-Mans Land exhibit

Contrasting colors mixed in a seductive layout outline the landscape work of Alice Andreini in her gallery show titled “No-Mans Land.” In her pieces, she works to acknowledge and confront the spatial and ideological constructs and tendencies that shape her world, while still capturing the innocence of nature.  

Andreini always had a love for painting; however, she didn’t dive into the world of art until around the age of 48. Already featured in a few smaller shows in the Cal State Long Beach galleries, “No-Mans Land” marks her final MFA show on campus in the Cal State Long Beach art galleries, located on upper campus.

“This work is just more mature,” Andreini said. “It’s coming from a more focused viewpoint, in a sense. Before I had been a bit scattered — but here my interests are narrowed down.”

Andreini’s current work uses different elements and techniques than seen in her previous pieces, such as bigger canvas, simpler subject matters and different color palettes.

“I’m starting with a critique of what’s called a ‘picturesque,’” Andreini said. “So, I’m starting with this critique of landscape as a sentimental aesthetic.”

From there, she uses color as a way to seduce her audience, drawing them into what Andreini describes as a fantasy world/truth. Here, the contrasting hues  work to create the effect of canceling each other out.

“All the pieces here have to do with paradisiacal notions,” Andreini said. “So basically better worlds, afterworlds or afterlife. They’re all ideas of escaping or thinking that there’s something that might be resolved and better in the future.”

When asked to describe her work in a few words, Andreini refers to it as an interruption and integration of spatial constructs, meaning three-dimensional landscapes work to create depth in the paintings.

The use of light and dark colors further brings the paintings to life, merging together the shapes and designs found, all while creating shadows and lighting through technique.  

“As an artist I find that it’s a suspicion of the ordinary that drives me,” Andreini said. “I guess it’s interesting to just think about these constructs that we’re placed in, and the constructs that affect how we perceive the world.”

Andreini will be graduating in the spring of this year. Although sad to be leaving, she is very happy with the progress she has made during her time here at CSULB.

Her work will be appearing in the Max L. Gatov Gallery East located in the CSULB art galleries on upper campus through April 19 12-5 p.m., and 12-8 p.m. Wednesday.