Blog, Spectacle

Spectacle: “The 20/20 Experience Pt. 2” Album Review

Justin Timberlake’s (JT’s) second and final installment of the 20/20 Experience did not live up to a 20 out of 20. It was a solid effort towards reviving “sexy” and re-igniting Timberlake’s music career; however, there were still some flaws that could not be overlooked.

First of all, the collection of both albums is more than 20 songs with a total of over 140 minutes of beats and JT’s soulful, yet seductive voice.

A majority of the songs from both albums combined surpass the five minute mark and ramble on.

Less is more Timberlake.

A trademark of Timberlake’s is to elongate a song beyond what it should be and in this album, especially, it became a bit too much.

5 of the 11 tracks are over 7 minutes long and become a bit overbearing. The longest song on the album is “True Blood,” which comes in at about 9 minutes and 29 seconds. The song would end perfectly at 5:45, but JT and Timbaland thought otherwise as they both stay on the track and ramble on as the beat plays out.

“True Blood”, “Gimme What I don’t Know (I Want),” “TKO,” “Murder,” and “Cabaret” are all great upbeat tracks that are sure to get anyone dancing, whether at the gym, in the club or at home while jamming out.

“Amnesia” offers a cool juxtaposition of orchestral beats infused with soul. This song is unlike any other song on this album or on the 20/20 Experience.

“Take Back the Night” is a perfect homage to disco and Michael Jackson’s early music.

“You Got It On” is very suave and mellow. JT’s seductive and sultry voice makes this song very pop-infused.

“Drink You Away” is a perfect blend of gospel, country beats and Timberlake’s voice. This song represents his Tennessee roots in the best way possible.

“Not a Bad Thing” is almost a throw-away from the album. Its only saving grace is the inclusion of “Pair of Wings,” which is embedded in the track.

Although “Pair of Wings” is a slow song, it helps add depth to the album.

Timberlake’s main collaborator for this album is Timbaland, but he was also able to collaborate with the likes of Drake and Jay-Z for his songs “Cabaret” and “Murder,” respectively.

For those who have purchased the new album from Target, there are two extra tracks: “Electric Lady” and “Blindness.”

This album not only shows Timberlake’s range, but also his constant need to drag songs out.

On Sept. 24 Justin Timberlake appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and explained that this new album is the 20/20 Experiences’ “slutty sister”; in my opinion, he could not have put it any better.