CSU, News

CSULB not affected by the CSU breach

Data Breach Brief

California State University, Long Beach officials confirmed that its students are safe from a hole in security that leaked information on students enrolled in a required sexual harassment course.

According to a statement by the CSU, the breach affected nearly 80,000 students across eight other California State Universities. The CSU statement also said that no social security numbers, driver’s license numbers or credit card data was exposed.

In response to the leak, CSULB President Jane Close Conoley addressed the issue in a mass email assuring university students that their data was safe.

“If there was a breach at LBSU, we would notify you immediately,” Conoley said in the email.

The data that leaked was through a vendor called We End Violence, according to the statement. We End Violence is one of three vendors that the CSU used to distribute the course across its 23 campuses, the statement said.

CSULB offers the mandatory course through the vendor Not Anymore which was not affected, according to the university’s website.

“We take the utmost concern to make sure that that data is protected,” said Mike Uhlenkamp, the executive director of news and digital media at CSULB.

The eight universities exposed were Channel Islands, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Maritime Academy, Cal Poly Pomona, Northridge, San Diego and Sonoma.

“That sucks [for the other schools],” said Gray Bowers, a graduate student in psychology at CSULB. “Cal State campuses should better screen websites to see if they are susceptible to being hacked with sensitive information regarding students.”

Students affected by the breach were contacted and advised to change their university login password, according to CSU system officials.