CSU, News

Amazon@TheBeach set to open soon

Students who order products from Amazon will soon be able to pick up their orders at the Cal State Long Beach University Bookstore beginning Sept. 20.

49er Shops and Amazon will open Amazon@TheBeach, located on the south side of the University Bookstore, with its own entrance available from lot 5.

A model of Amazon@TheBeach location in the University Bookstore.
Courtesy of 49er Shops

The project and five-year contract between Amazon and the 49er Shops was announced last spring.

49er Shops’ partnership with Amazon, along with other online textbook retailers, first began with the creation of BeachBookCompare.

The free website allows students to compare textbook prices across multiple platforms, including Amazon, the CSULB bookstore and Chegg.

49er Shops Director of Marketing and Communications Kiersten Stickney said she hopes students will continue to use BeachBookCompare, as it “is the best option for students to ensure they are ordering the correct textbook at the lowest price.”

Amazon@TheBeach won’t just service textbook orders, though, with options for other applicable items to be shipped to the campus pickup location.

However, oversized items or items that are scheduled for delivery after Amazon@TheBeach operating hours will not be eligible for delivery at the bookstore lockers.

If an item cannot be sent to the bookstore lockers, the buyer will be notified during online checkout.

To expedite the shipping process, CSULB students can take advantage of a Prime Student account.

Some benefits of Prime Student membership include unlimited streaming of TV shows and movies, as well as access to playlists through Prime Music.

“The best part is that when students sign up for Prime membership they can order items before noon and receive free same day shipping,” Stickney said.

Prime orders placed before noon will qualify for free same-day pickup and orders placed after noon will qualify for free one-day pickup.

Not all items are eligible for same-day or one-day pickup; those that are will show a “Prime/Free Same-Day” logo.

The Prime Student membership is free for the first six months and then costs $49 annually.

In order for students to register for Prime Student, they will need to sign up using their CSULB email address.

In order to pick up a package, students will receive an email or text with a barcode that will scan and open the locker where the ordered items are being held.

“We are excited to have Amazon on campus and look forward to this continued partnership,” Stickney said.

Amazon@TheBeach will have its grand opening on September 20 from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m., according to Stickney.

The grand opening will follow with two demo where students, faculty and staff can tour the facility, try out the lockers and win prizes. Demo days will go from 12 – 9 p.m.

Amazon@TheBeach will be open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday 12 – 9 p.m.