Crime Blotter: Swastika reported, sexual assault near Outpost

Bicycle stolen by business building

A bicycle was reported stolen from the College of Business Administration yesterday. The bicycle is a gray Diamondback bike and had been secured to the racks at the front of the building.

David Wagner, the evidence controller for the University Police Department, said that there are no leads at this time.

Sexual assault reported outside engineering center

An act of sexual assault near the Vivian Engineering center was reported to the UPD on Feb. 23 just before 8 p.m.

According to Wagner, the female victim did not appear to know the suspect. Wagner also said that the incident had started at the nearby Outpost eatery, and continued outside to the Vivian Engineering center grounds.

Wagner also stated that little information could be released while the investigation was ongoing, but he stated that the incident did not rise to level of a timely warning under the Clery Act.

“Because it’s an ongoing investigation I can’t really give anything more,” said Wagner. “If it’s far more serious, then you’re going to see a different approach to it. You’re going to see the release of information per Clery. You’re going to see a lot of things handled differently.”  

Domestic violence occurrence near UPD station

A domestic violence call was received by the UPD on Feb. 23. The location was in parking lot 11c, adjacent to the police station. According to Wagner, the domestic violence call did not appear to be related to the sexual assault call the same day, which occurred an hour later.

The UPD did not release any further information as the investigation was ongoing.

Old swastika carving reported

A swastika carved into a tree near the Ellis Education building was reported to the UPD on Wednesday. The swastika was determined to be very old, with overgrowth on the carving. The tree was between the Ellis Education center and 7th Street.

“We’ve notified groundskeeping to see if they can do anything about it,” Wagner said. “Worst case scenario, they’ll cut down the tree.”

Roommate reports makeup being used to police

A student at the residential learning center reported that their makeup products were stolen on Feb. 21. According to Wagner, it was a “roommate situation” where the makeup was used by one roommate and not taken from the room, but was reported as a petty theft to the UPD.

“I’ve been here working in this department quite some time and generally, a lot of the low level kind of things are fairly innocuous,” said Wagner. “These are the kinds of problems that are associated with our demographic [youth], which is fine. If someone calls in, we do what we have to do and take a report.”