Welfare check, disturbance and assault

Assault by paper – Authorities responded to an assault call at 9:51 p.m. from the Nugget Pub and Grill April 19. The victim reported an unknown object, later identified as a crumpled piece of paper by officers, which was thrown at him while he was at an event taking place in the Nugget. According to Lt. Richard Goodwin, the subject was not hurt and declined medical attention.  

“This person confronted a member of a club, in this case the Jazz [Band] club, who this person believed was the people or persons responsible for throwing [the paper],” Goodwin said. Upon further investigation, officers discovered that the paper may have instead come from the crowd.

University Police spoke to the individual who organized the event and discovered that the reporting party had been troublesome for the duration of the performance.

“It appeared as though the victim had been drinking and was under the influence of alcohol,” Goodwin said. “The subject was cut off from buying any alcohol. We investigated and found that the penal code for battery was not credible in this case.”

A report was not filed on the incident.

Welfare check resolution – University Police officers were contacted at 1:56 p.m. April 23 by the mother of a student staying at the International House on campus. According to Goodwin, the subject was concerned about her son, a current student, who she had not heard from in 12 days. The mother reported that her son was not returning her “calls, texts, emails or Facebook messages,” which concerned her due to his medical history.

“We went out and checked, the subject was found in his dorm room. He [was] okay,” Goodwin said.

According to Goodwin, the son contacted his mother and the issue was resolved.

Three-day disturbance – Authorities were called out to the area near the Friendship Walk by a concerned staff member in the Psychology building at 1:37 p.m. April 24. According to Goodwin, the reporting party claimed two men were asking young women if they were still virgins. When officers arrived, Goodwin said, there was not enough noise to file a complaint against the two men. No report was filed and no issue was found.

Digital harassment – A student approached the University Police Department at 1:45 p.m. April 24 to file a complaint in regard to unwanted text messages.

“Apparently our officers made contact with the person sending the annoying text messages,” Goodwin said.

Officers were able to assist the student reporting the text message harassment, but they did not take a report.