Men's Cross Country, Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Soccer, Sports, Women's Cross Country, Women's Sports

Weekend roundup

LBSU leaves Los Angeles without a win against LMU and USC

John Broadway, Staff Writer

The 23rd ranked LBSU women’s soccer team had a scoreless road trip in Los Angeles as they fell to LMU 1-0 in overtime on Friday and ended with a 0-0 draw against USC on Sunday.

The 49ers (4-2-2) entered the game against Loyola Marymount (5-2-0) having not allowed a goal since Aug. 28; 301 scoreless minutes of play by LBSU opponents. LMU outshot the 49ers 7-2 in the second half, but junior goalkeeper Ashton McKeown’s three saves managed to extend the scoreless streak to 391 minutes.

The streak ultimately came to an end when Lions forward Jill Farley scored the golden goal off a corner kick in the 98th minute, giving LBSU its first loss since Aug. 23.

The 49ers then played at USC (3-3-1) on Sunday. The Trojans managed to take 23 total shots in the game, but McKeown’s five saves kept USC off the board.

LBSU and USC ended regulation tied at zero, making it the 49ers’ fifth overtime game of the year. The two teams remained tied to end the game in a draw moving LBSU’s record to 1-2-2 in overtime matches.

The 49ers will head to Ohio next to take on Cincinnati on Thursday at 2 p.m. followed by a matchup with No. 24 DePaul on Sunday at 10 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois.

LBSU men’ water polo team goes 2-1 at UCLA Invitational

Joshua Caudill, Staff Writer

The Long Beach State men’s water polo team lost against No. 1 UCLA, falling 13-4 in an exhibition match as part of the UCLA Invitational on Saturday.

The 49ers (2-2) managed to bounce back and come away with wins against No. 7 UC Santa Barbara and No. 8 Pepperdine later in the day. Game two of the invitational was a re-match with UCSB, which handed LBSU a 7-6 loss last week.

LBSU got its revenge against the Gauchos, taking the game by a score of 11-8. Freshman Max Cusator carried the 49ers with a hat trick and freshman Troy Kaltenbach added two goals in the win.

LBSU then beat the Waves of Pepperdine 15-7 to end the invitational. The 49ers crushed Pepperdine in a game that was never close. Senior Josh Tice and sophomore Duncan Lynde combined for 7 goals, which matched Pepperdine’s total goals scored.

The 49ers will head up to Palo Alto on Saturday to take on UC San Diego and other opponents to be determined as part of the NorCal Tournament. The game against the Tritons is set for 12:15 p.m.

LBSU cross-country teams finish fifth and ninth at UC Riverside

Josh Barajas, Sports Editor

The Long Beach State men’s cross-country team earned another top-5 finish in the 8K at the UC Riverside Invitational on Saturday.

The 49er men finished in fifth place while the women’s team finished ninth in the 6K.

Junior Kathleen Dunne led her team for the second week in a row, clocking in at 21 minutes and 30.3 seconds to finish 17th overall. Junior Kevin Ramirez led the men’s team with a time of 24:42.9, the 16th best overall time at the UCR Invitational.

The LBSU cross-country team will take next weekend off before traveling to Falcon Heights, Minnesota for the Roy Griak Invitational on Sept. 26.