Faculty to discuss the grotesque

The University Art Museum is hosting an exhibit inspired by the works of Gabe Bartalos with a cross-disciplinary panel discussion on the role of grotesque in contemporary culture.

The exhibit will consist of examples from film, art, fashion and literature with the use of grotesque throughout history, according to Chris Alegria, education assistant at the UAM.

“We think it will be really exciting,” Alegria said. “I think that in almost every field you can see some application of where you go to that darker side, especially in the art and literature and history.”

The panel will address the history of the explosion of graphic novels, video games and horror films in culture, which the curators for the event said has proliferated in pop-culture and created a fascination with the subject.

“The purpose is to bring a scholarly analysis into contemporary culture,” Alegria said.

The panelists feature faculty with distinguished expertise in an array of related studies, including Karen Kleinfelder, a professor of art history, who has taught lectures in surrealism and gender, and German studies professor Jeffrey High, who has an expertise in horror films. Nhora Lucía Serrano, an assistant professor of comparative world literature, will moderate the discussion.

These panelists will have an informal discussion between themselves and the audience throughout the event, bringing diverse perspectives to the exhibit.

The exhibition was funded by contributions from the Instructionally Related Activities Fund and a College of Liberal Arts Scholarly Intersections Grant, according to a flyer for the event.

The free exhibit is scheduled for today at 7 p.m. where refreshments will be offered. The discussion will be held in the hallway outside of the Horn Center, near the back entrance to the UAM.