The new world of Super Mario 3-D

From the ground-breaking new cat suit to the smart level design, Nintendo’s skillfully designed games never cease to amaze.

Super Mario 3-D World (SM3DW) is Nintendo’s latest entry in the long-running franchise and somehow they’ve managed to keep the gameplay fresh by introducing new mechanics and modifying older formulas.

The moment you turn on the game, you’re treated to a visual design and style so engaging you’d be hard-pressed to rip your eyes from the screen. The bright colors and the charming art style has finally brought Mario, Nintendo’s flagship mascot, into the HD game he deserves.

The WiiU hardware proves it’s not just a minor upgrade from the original Wii. The fluid animations combined with all the hazards and obstacles on the screen create an experience unlike any other on the console. From the varied character animations to the puffs of smoke trailing behind the character as he or she runs through levels, Nintendo’s attention to detail in this game allows it to stand as one of its best looking games to date.

The story in SM3DW is a standard Mario affair with one subtle difference. Peach is no longer the damsel in distress. She’s helping you along in your adventure. Instead, you’re on a quest to save fairy-like creatures called Sprixies from the evil clutches of Bowser, who imprisoned them and took over their world.

Of all its features, the gameplay is where the game truly shines. Much like Mario Bros. 3, gamers have access to four main characters: Princess Peach, Mario, Luigi, and Toad. After you beat the main story, each character has its own unique playing style and allows gamers to take on levels in different ways.

Peach, for example, has a floating ability that allows her to hover above ground for a few seconds to nail those hard to reach jumps. Mario is an all-around character whose skills are balanced more than the others. Luigi has the highest jump of all the characters allowing him to reach heights others can’t, while Toad runs the fastest but jumps the lowest, making him best suited for speed runs through the worlds.

Rosalina from Mario Galaxy Fame is unlocked after you gain access to the special worlds and she comes packing a double jump and a spinning attack exclusive to her. These characters along with the different suits available as power-ups can change the whole dynamic of the game.

The classic Mario power-ups are back and work exactly how one might remember them. The Giant mushrooms, tanooki suits, and fire flowers are all welcome but none of them make as big an impact as the new cat suit. The cat suit allows you to run up walls, claw attack enemies and also offers a new diving ability. Using all of these items to your advantage will allow you to spot secret items hidden throughout the game.

SM3DW is jam–packed with secret items, passages and collectables. First, you’ll notice each level has a set of green stars to collect, which can be used to gain access to levels later in the game. Some are placed in the open while others take a little creativity and exploration to find.

Use of secret passages and strategic use of various power-ups are usually required to obtain these sometimes difficult to find items.

The game is sure to have players coming back for more even after beating levels.

This roughly 15-hour-long campaign is enjoyable from beginning to end. You have the option to play by yourself or with up to three other friends. The Co-op experience, though, is what takes the excitement to a whole different level. It is a co-op experience but you’re also competing to see who can score the highest at the end of a level.

For nearly three decades, Nintendo has changed and reimagined the Mario games. This is Mario and company’s first foray into the new generation of gaming and Nintendo has created a game that fans shouldn’t miss.