Arts & Life, Music

Looking beyond Fingerprints Music

I swear it’s true: There really are record stores in Long Beach not called Fingerprints Music. Now don’t get me wrong, I love me some Fingerprints as much as the next person, but sometimes… well sometimes you need something a bit more genre specific, especially when you’ve just got to get your hands on that one-off promotional 7-inch from that super obscure Chilean band. Times like those call for a specialist, so here’s a referral.

Third Eye Records
2701 E 4th St
Long Beach, CA 90814
(714) 415-9814

This is a cool little corner shop that has a real old school record store vibe. They pride themselves in stocking rare and import vinyl releases as well as all your other favorites. They occasionally have in-store performances and will even show your record collection some love by cleaning your vinyl for $0.25 a pop.

Bagatelle Records
260 Atlantic Ave
Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 432-7534

Their website proudly boasts: “Vinyl isn’t dead. Not while Bagatelle Records is still around.” And you can see why when you enter the store; there are records from floor to ceiling and occupying cubbyholes all along the walls. The store carries 45s, LPs, 78s, 12-inch singles, CDs and music memorabilia. Just make sure to stop by an ATM before your visit because this place is strictly cash only.

Dyzzy on Vinyl
3004 E 7th St
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 438-8928

Got a hankering for some good ole classic rock? Then Dizzy on Vynyl is where you need to be.
Getting elbows-deep in their dusty bins of old records is fun enough, but the store itself is warm and inviting. The quirky décor of odd knickknacks and record covers as wallpaper immerses you in a world all its own.

Soulific Records
1409 E 4th St
Long Beach, CA 90802
(562) 607-2257

Look no further for that jazz, funk or Latin wax you’ve been scouring high and low for. Expertly curated by DJ Rodi Delgadillo, who puts on a monthly soul and funk night at Alex’s bar called The Good Foot, the wooden racks at Soulific Records contain a treasure trove of grooves. This place itself is a little hidden; it’s located on the second level of an office building. Beware: The store is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Toxic Toast Records
757 Pine Ave
Long Beach, CA 90813
(562) 999-2516

Not even a year old, Toxic Toast Records has cornered a very specific niche in the Long Beach record store landscape. It’s the place to go if you’re looking to score some punk, ska or new wave pressings. They also have a nice selection of imports, especially from Japanese bands. Their T-shirt selection is one of the best around and the store has the added bonus of only selling licensed merchandise. No bootleg stuff here.