Farmers market season has sprung

April invites a number of interesting things to distract you from jumping back into schoolwork after spring break. Music festivals, springtime hikes — and the revival of farmers markets throughout all of the Los Angeles area. While hikes and festivals are signature springtime activities, local farmers markets offer products from organically grown produce to handmade jewelry and charms.

Though farmers markets are an organic way to purchase groceries while contributing to the growth of small, California-based farmers, their short hours and sporadic schedules make accessing a farmers market tricky for college students.

From East Village to the Marina, these farmers markets offer a variety of products produced in and around the Long Beach community.

Harvest Farmers Market

130 Cherry Ave.

Open Tuesday

3-7 p.m.

Open Saturday

9-3 p.m.

Located between Cherry Avenue and Junipero Street, if you’re looking for an odd eat or tasty food trucks, Harvest Farmers Market is your destination. With a gourmet tamale stand and a pupusaria, this market boasts a variety of homemade food for any adventurous shopper. When I went to this market, I didn’t even spend any money. The place is flush with free samples, and you’re sure to be entertained with organized live performances.

Harvest Farmers Market is cash only, and no dogs are allowed.

Long Beach Southeast Farmers Market

E. Marina Drive
Open Sunday
9 a.m.-2 p.m.

The Southeast farmers market brings the produce to the port. This market is held every Sunday at the Marina, and hosts numerous local arts and crafts vendors as well as community-based jewelry and clothing outlets. The market is most notable for the diverse foods it introduces to shoppers — at this market, health and ethnic foods converge. I’ve stopped by this market solely because it’s a great place to grab lunch, sit down and enjoy the view of the expansive Marina.

However, if you’re only buying organic — be careful. This market only has four certified organic produce vendors, according to the website.

Advertisement – (Story continues below)

twitters500-x500_

Spring Street Farm Project

3012 Long Beach Boulevard.
Open Tuesday
9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Open Friday
9 a.m.-6 p.m.

The Spring Street Project gets all of its produce from their farm in Cypress, where they harvest cantaloupes, strawberries and other organically grown fruits and vegetables. The Cypress farm is close by, and if you ask, you can even pick your own produce. Though this market is in the middle of a bustling intersection, the market offers inexpensive prices to all shoppers but does not accept credit cards.

Bixby Knolls Farmers Market

46th and Atlantic Avenue(CVS parking lot)
Open Thursday
3-6:30 p.m.

This farmers market is a bit smaller (parking lot-sized); however, it offers relatively inexpensive foods and produce for local market goers. Despite its small size, this farmers market offers the bare necessities to execute any student’s grocery trip.

There’s also lots of nearby parking, so feel free to pull up and grab some free samples from the produce vendors.