‘Insights’ into student artists at UAM

A celebration of student art, an awards ceremony and live music – it’s that time of year again. Get ready for the Cal State Long Beach School of Art’s annual exhibition, “Insights.”

The University Art Museum, partnered with the CSULB School of Art, will host its yearly exhibition featuring art from both graduate and undergraduate art students, opening Thursday at the UAM at 5 p.m.

“This is an an incredible opportunity for the CSULB community to see what the School of Art students do,” said marketing coordinator for the University Art Museum, Shefali Mistry. “The School of Art is the largest department on campus and one of the best art schools in the West. The opportunity for students to exhibit in an accredited museum while still students is one that is quite unique to CSULB.”

The event will begin with an awards ceremony honoring students for their contributions to the exhibition. Both scholarships and “purchase awards” – intended to disburse funding to support an artist’s work – will be rewarded.

Student award winners will get the chance to lead a tour of their work at the UAM on May 10. Guests will be able to personally ask the artists any questions regarding their artwork.

UAM administrators and members of the Associated Students Inc. will also be selecting their favorite student artwork to become part of the UAM’s permanent collection during the opening reception.

“Insights” attendees will get a chance to see the different kinds of artwork, ranging from painting to sculpture, photography, digital media and printmaking.

“The reception is our chance to celebrate the students,” Mistry said. “There will be refreshments and live music and you’ll get the first peek at the student work.”

The CSULB School of Art student exhibition, “Insights”, will begin Thursday and continue through May 22.