Nicholas Kristof at CSULB

Pulitzer Prize-winning author, and long-time New York Times op-ed columnist Nicholas Kristof is coming to Cal State Long Beach tonight. Kristof is scheduled to deliver a keynote speech at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center at 7 p.m.

He is known as a writer and activist, often focusing his efforts uncovering stories of neglect issues. The Washington Post says that he “rewrote opinion journalism” with his emphasis on human rights abuses and social injustices globally.

“If it’s not getting a lot of attention, I feel that by writing about it, I can draw more attention in ways that will actually make a difference. That’s incredibly satisfying,” he said in an article published on csulb.edu.

Kristof is probably best known for his work on the Darfur conflict in 2004. Darfur is a Western region of Sudan whose social climate escalated to war in 2003 between rebel groups fighting against the oppression of the non-Arab population, and the Government of Sudan who began a campaign of “ethnic cleansing” against the rebels. It was considered to be one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the world, where fighting led to an estimated 480,000 deaths and more than 3 million others were forced into refugee camps, according to the United Nations website.

“I feel I helped, along with lots of others, and there was a positive outcome and a lot of lives were saved,” he said about his time in Darfur. He has visited the region 11 times.

His speech is said to cover his activism, his 33-year long career and and his travels which include visits to over 160 countries.

Kristof is a seven-time Pulitzer finalist. He claimed his first Pulitzer Prize in 1990 alongside his wife Sheryl WuDunn, which they won for their work reporting the pro-democracy student movement and the related Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

He will discuss ideas from his book “A Path Appears,” a narrative about making a difference in the world. He is said to motivate through captivating stories of individuals and organizations applying research, evidence-based strategies, and innovative ideas to make the world a better place, according to the Carpenter Center website.

Tickets to tonight’s event are still available for $20 online and at the box office, and only $10 for readers who use discount code BEACH.