See no fake news, hear no fake news

Peers, professors and professionals tend to agree that fake news is extremely harmful to the American public — fake news, defined by those interviewed, is “News that is not backed by fact.”

Gina Silva, a senior journalist for Fox News, has witnessed the growing impact of the fake news rising within the news industry for the past 30 years. As a reporter in Los Angeles, Silva understands the danger the spread of fake news poses to her profession. Photographer and coworker of Silva, Gino Arias, said, “fake news is not verified by facts; we have entire departments dedicated to fact checking.”

The trend has spread throughout every channel of media, making fake news more abundant than ever. 24-year-old Trevor Davis, a project manager for Gilbane Construction, has decided to boycott news all together. Davis said, “I don’t watch the news anymore, I turn it off.” Davis continued to explain that he receives most of his news through social media. Social media may sound like a great place to read news because of its ubiquitous nature, but social media is the tool that is utilized most by those publishing fake news.

Publishers of fake news are looking to gain exposure, making social media the ideal platform. Such platforms spread information quickly and mobile devices ensure that fake news is always by your side. 22-year-old Christian Ayala is all too aware of this — when asked to define fake news, Ayala responded, “Tabloid news and Facebook news.” The suspicion of news published on social media was consistent with all of those interviewed. Yet, their solution to dealing with the abundance of fake news varies slightly.  

Joyln Matsumuro, a journalism professor at Cal State Long Beach, said that whenever she comes across fake news, she is quick to announce it. “The only thing you can do is answer it as quickly and as loudly as possible,” said Matsumuro. She hopes that her responses to fake news will prevent others from being mislead.

Matsumuro and others say they go to the publications that are well established and trustworthy to read. The “trustworthy,” news entities mentioned included CNN, the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times.

Trust in the news is at an all time low. According to the most recent Gallup poll, public trust in the news is just at 32 percent. This marks the lowest level of trust between the public and news ever recorded. Andie Prandini, a 22 year-old senior at Cal State Fullerton said, “it’s important to stay on guard, there is nothing wrong with being distrusting of the news. If you have a general distrust it makes you investigate.”

This message was repeated by Silva, who attributes President Trump for the rise in fake news. “As a journalist, it is frustrating to see President Trump discredit legitimate news,” she said. She continued to explain that the citizens are confused because the media tells them one thing and the President of the United States is telling them it’s false.

The biggest consequence foreseen by all of those interviewed is American citizens making what they believe to be informed decisions based on fake news. According to students and professionals, this is a major issue because these decision often pertain to politics and policy.

With the majority of consequences being negative, Arias attempted to find the silver lining of fake news.

“The abundance of fake news might be a good thing, I think that people will begin to recognize the importance of news and begin to demand factual news,” Arias said.