Trustees face uphill battle with budget

The CSU board of trustees discussed its preliminary 2009-2010 budget request Tuesday afternoon and the impacts on Cal State Long Beach before it goes to a vote by the full board of trustees in mid-November.

Although lawmakers agreed Tuesday morning that there would be no additional cuts to the state budget for 2008-2009, the governor’s proposed budget will ultimately cut funding to the state’s academic system by $215 million for the 2009-2010 fiscal year, according to the California Faculty Association.

It’s going to get ugly in California,” said Lt. Gov. John Garamendi.

The board of trustees’ request, which it will present to Gov. Schwarzenegger after revisions, determines the CSU’s ability to obtain necessary resources for higher education.

Lt. Gov. Garamendi said the board of trustees is accountable for the number of classes dropped, the over-admission of students and the increase in school tuition that have resulted from budget cuts.

“It’s imperative to make a budget that falls on the shoulders of the CSU system,” Garamendi said. “If not, we fail as trustees with the trust of the state.”

The CFA expressed a similar position to Lt. Gov. Garamendi’s.

“The importance of higher education to the state’s future is not lost entirely on our state legislators and governors,” said CFA President Lillian Taiz in the CSU Faculty’s statement on the state budget. “In response to intense pressure by supporters of the CSU, they restored some $97 million to the CSU system in the May budget revision.”

Taiz said Gov. Schwarzenegger’s anticipated cuts have resulted in the need to turn away tens of thousands of students, while hurting thousands more with increased tuition and debt problems.

“Unless lawmakers change their budgetary priorities, the state is destined to continue down the wrong path and face even greater economic downturns in the future,” Taiz said.

Lt. Gov. John Garamendi criticized Gov. Schwarzenegger’s decision to cut academic funds under his “Higher Education Compact.”

“This budget is the worse I’ve seen in 35 years. We need a better university system,” said Garamendi, “It’s a slow starvation per student, per capita has declined and it hasn’t made up in student fees. There has been no reform in the educational system except further extending bad public policy. We must stand up and say ‘Enough already.’ We have to invest in higher education.”

The Committee on Finance said the cuts in the state budget are not being addressed properly by the state of California, contributing to the continuing the decline of the higher education system.

The board will vote on a budget proposal during the next meeting, after setting out rules, policies and new ideas to present to the governor, who ultimately makes the final decision.

Legislative leaders believe that they could collect enough votes to override a potential veto from the governor.

Students like Miguel Gutierrez expect a down spiraling effect if the majority members decide to vote against the budget request at the November meeting.

“It’s a hypocritical way of promoting higher education,” said Gutierrez, a senior history major.