Students advised to get laughy

In the face of an ailing economy and midterms, some students turn to laughter to help cope with stress.

Steady news coverage about the financial state of the country has held students’ attention since the beginning of the semester. The credit market and financial issues affect students directly as student loans and jobs are becoming increasingly hard to fnd. Anxiety is growing at Cal State Long Beach as students try to figure out just how much more this crisis will trickle down to them.

Holisticonline.com states that laughter reduces at least four of the neuroendocrine hormones associated with the stress response.

Studies show that laughter provides distraction and perspective, which helps to solve problems more efficiently.  Being able to use humor helps people view opposition as a challenge rather than a threat, and they can take it on in more creative ways.

Michael Lovorn, an anxiety and humor specialist and an assistant professor in the department of teacher education, suggested ways for students to get through these hard times. He recommended seeing a funny movie, going to comedy clubs and spending time with friends and family who make you laugh.

“Do it regularly,” he said, “at least once a week.”

Lovorn also recommends turning off the news.

“24-hour news stations, like CNN and Fox News, give 24 hours of coverage, whether or not there is 24 hours of news to report,” he said. “They breed panic, and panic attracts viewers.”

Evan Murey, a junior business management major, said that his greatest concern in this time is his dad’s construction business. He gets his laughs watching the satirical skits of NBC’s weekly comedy show “Saturday Night Live.”

Lovorn, however, feels that satirical comedy is to be “taken in doses.” He said that while he is a fan of “The Colbert Report,” “SNL” and the movie “Borat,” if this is the only type of humor people consume, they “run the risk of becoming cynical.” He said that it is important to vary your humorous intake.

Some students seem to have already reached the cynical point. Jordan Garcia, a junior graphic design major, finds that among her group of friends the greatest concern is employment. She and her friends find themselves cracking jokes at the expense of people who have lost high-paying jobs.

“They are stealing jobs from young people,” she said. “They lost their jobs and now they are burger flippers. It’s hard for us to find work now.”

However, other sources say that this group laughter has many benefits as well. It is often said that laughter is contagious.

Mike Valdez, a senior international business major, is contemplating whether to continue in school or drop out in order to work full time.

“I was taking out student loans, but currently I am paying out of my pocket,” he said.

He has found a humorous refuge by having heated, yet funny political discussions with his friends.

“We are of different sides of the political spectrum, so we make fun of each other’s candidates,” Valdez said.

The benefits of laughter go beyond stress relief. Laughter leads to positive responses in the immune system and overall mental and physical health. In this time of heightened anxiety and financial problems, students can partake in a natural and free diversion.

“There are hundreds of languages around the world,” Lovorn said, “but laughter sounds the same wherever you go.”

James Riley

He who laugh last… just misses out on all the fun right now…